When are we getting normal flying?

case in point… when he hasn’t proven one statement with facts yet…

3 Likes

Just like ALL the other expansion mainstays (Artifact weapons, covenants, class orders, garrisons) since the new devs took over. DR could easily just be a thing for the Dragon Isles, just like it doesn’t work anywhere else right now. Like someone said above it just requires them to not apply the permissions. At the very least, there’s no reason both flight styles can’t coexist.
:speak_no_evil::see_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

7 Likes

I have a doubt. Normal flying would be like birds or planes?

No, the counter so far is the ONLY game mechanic that flight is the SOLE avoidance mechanism is terrain annoyances, which in most players eyes is not an example of a good mechanic (which DR coincidentally ALSO obviates). Every other mechanic is avoidable by numerous other abilities (stealth, double jump, blink, feign death, glide, etc. etc.) When you advocate for all those other abilities to be nerfed/removed then I might consider your “reasoning and precedent” to be legitimate.
Your arguments so far are totally subjective to me, just like you state all pro-flyer arguments are.
:hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

4 Likes

It can be between 10.1 - 10.2, but still doesn’t clarify or promised. So hopefully folks don’t say they were promised when they didn’t.

Pathfinder is to be expected by useing dragonriding and having dragonriding achievements.

They put a lot of money into this system, hopefully they won’t give regular flying til middle late expansion.

I still think druids should have a dragon form for dragonriding.

I think we understand that YOU THINK it’s bad for the game.

Some of us do not agree, and will continue to hope legacy flight comes back.

Your OPINIONS are not fact in any way, shape, or form. That you believe them to be is an epic fail, just as anyone else who tries to state the same.

We will all have to wait and see what Blizzard does.

4 Likes

There is really no concrete evidence that it is bad for the game.

There are plenty of opinions… some even from developers, but no real evidence.

That said, there is extremely little chance that dragon riding goes live in the next expansion as it is. Keeping dragon riding means being locked into creating larger zones, and merging dragon riding with most existing mounts will need quite a bit of work… so it’s a financial issue.

2 Likes

When a developer does it, it isn’t “opinion” any longer - it gets promoted to design requirement and then gets placed in the game.

I find it so odd to hear people take the position “airswimming with infinite hover, there’s no evidence it ruins the game” while the design pattern is obvious. Blizzard has systemically curtailed it with Pathfinder and other speedbumps for years. Want to be a fly on the wall in those design sessions with me? Then we can figure out if there actually is a fact somewhere in this entire argument.

Who says they can’t increase zone sizes? Storage, bandwidth, tools have all been improving for the last several years.

not sure if this has been said yet …
if Blizz doesnt give us our regular flying back soon, the game will suffer a crap load of unsubbed accounts.
doesnt matter if we like it or not. i dont think Blizz can afford to have another mass unsubbing like has happened in the past on several occasions.
Blizz would be killing WoW if they delay for a long period of time or dont give us regular flying soon.
yes i can Dragonride. no i dont like it better than regular flying. i also have well over 300 mounts.
is Blizz going to refund my real cash for the store mounts i have bought?

the end result is…if they dont give us what we want, we leave. easy to understand.

let Blizz drag their rear ends about this. let them take out regular flying. let them toy with us. then let them loose the majority of what player base they have left.
is that what they really want? i think not. We will have our flying back. Subs is what the bottom line is all about.

7 Likes

Because people personalize you’re preferring something else as an attack on them. It’s not enough that you like McDonalds while they like Burger King, to them - you’re preferring McDonalds is an attack that must be countered.

It’s kind of sad.

:cookie:

10 Likes

I never said they shouldn’t get it.

Blizzard has had a war on flying since they tried to remove it in WoD and had one of the largest wave of unsubs in the game’s history. Since then they’ve been bitter about it by giving us Pathfinder halfway into the expansion to force players to not fly. This is the first time since Cataclysm that flying has been available from the start (note: I mean for the leveling process, not like MoP having it once you reach max level), but it’s on their terms. I don’t trust Blizzard, they need to earn that back, so my comment was specifically focused on this may be their next step in their attempts to remove regular flying that they’ve been showing since WoD.

3 Likes

Absolutely. I want a lever I can pull once per day that awards me with random raid gear, just like I downed a M+ raid boss, because I don’t raid and this is my choice. I expect my gear lever to be implemented at the same time as normal flying on the Dragon Isles.

Sarcasm detected.

I’m sure you would love that, though.

2 Likes

I’m pro-regular flying but I feel that it’s important to be fair even why maybe I shouldn’t be (perhaps especially when I’m tempted not to be fair?) but we can’t be sure how many people unsubbed from WoD because they lied about flying, and how many unsubbed because WoD was, well, WoD.

1 Like

I mean, they KNEW it would be unpopular. Why else did Ion drop the news on a Friday evening on a not well known fan site? And while yeah, WoD was…WoD, that just screams they knew exactly what the fallout would be. At least to me, lol. But of course it’s all anecdotal and I’m just a pro-flyer (not a slight at you, that’s really what I am, haha).

3 Likes

To say something like “hovering is bad for the game” is an opinion, no matter who says it. Even if it’s a developer. Mainly because of lack of evidence but also because developers can (and do) often have conflicting opinions, so in those cases both sides can’t be correct.

What you are talking about there is more in the realm of policy making, which tends to go in favor of the decision maker’s opinion if no proof is available (which happens in most businesses).

I heard that Dungeons and Dragons decided recently that using the word “race” to describe Orc and Humans and Elves (etc) was a bad thing and should be removed from new game material.

Other than maybe seeing a very small segment of online people complaining about it, I find it hard to believe that they have a lot of concrete evidence that this “offensive” term is damaging their game… so this strikes me as more of an opinion that has been put into policy by decision makers that share that opinion.

2 Likes

I think by taking the decision maker out of the process you are re-litigating what’s already been decided. If you want to do that, great, but be prepared to answer your taking so many constraints from the discussion and having us just talk over “wouldn’t it be nice if?” That’s a dangerous discussion if unbounded by any constraints.

Since we’re trending away from examples of hovering is bad for the game, how about in Zereth Mortis? The ball puzzle right next to Haven. I’m not a warlock, or a venthyr, and could not get to the top of the 5 balls — until flying. And after flying, I simply zoom from point to point in HandiNotes to HandiNotes in BFA ,which I finally unlocked, and picked up a horde of treasure. Does that break the game? No, crappy rewards, but it trivializes content.

So, yeah, I do think it does have noticeable and proven detrimental game balance effects. But as you say, it’s an opinion. We’re not really getting anywhere, are we?

And that, I think, is the strongest argument for a staged, gated, or measured process for flying. Which Blizzard has done.

2 Likes

How do you know this?

He doesn’t just wants to jump on the troll train with the rest of the dragon riding cultists who want to remove regular flying.

3 Likes

You are of an opinion that it hurts while I am of the opinion that it does not.

As long as we all agree that they are opinions and not facts, then so be it.

Neither one of us can prove our case without a doubt because there is no concrete evidence either way.

2 Likes