What was the intent of Classic?

Classic was originally created primarily as IP protection. Any subscription retention was just pure gravy for Blizzard since Classic was initially a want from their legal department.

I am guessing that the popularity of Classic has changed how Blizzard sees Classic and they are now adding additional ways of monetizing it.

I see zero evidence of this. Anywhere.

Also, company that monetized games monetizes a game, what a shocker!

Who said anything about being shocked? Heck, I don’t even have a problem with them monetizing it.

Unless they are planning to just give away the data mined mount, then they are monetizing. Again, I don’t have any problem with it.

You really had to work hard for this.

Gathering mats, crafting and maxing a profession are not some epic quest. Then you tossed out some made up some non answers like “playing with friends, building up your character, coming across players in the world”.

In fact the only real. answer you gave was collecting a rare pet. Nice end game lol

An anti-boosting post by any other name…

I think sometimes people get lost and find themselves here. I know that’s why I’m here…well maybe not lost but curious as to if people take wow forums seriously yet. Once again all day I have come to the conclusion that it’s just a silly place.

1 Like

Of course it is. I don’t edge for no reason

I came here looking for more beta info, I stayed for the salt though.

3 Likes

Emphasis added in bold.

You tried to make a well-thought out post that asks questions, but you ended up making them leading questions and saying anyone who disagrees with you is non-objective and a hypocrite. Do you now expect sincere replies?

Meanwhile, you over-generalize much. How do you know that everyone who wants a boost also opposes those other things? Also, are there some who might want some of the other things but not boosting?

That’s not the issue, stop pretending that’s the issue

No U.

10 chars

Hey, what Bobby does with his private…stuff…is his business.

1 Like

What they have in common is that they are all convenience features that prey upon players’ weakness and ignorance to the fact that it is often the things that the older versions of the game forced us to do that helped make those games great.

Like having to farm gold or mats, which makes the things you buy/craft feel more rewarding.

Like having to socialize with players on your server in order to form groups, which creates friendships and strengthens the community.

And yes, like leveling, which makes people feel more invested in their characters and forces people out into the world where they can participate in the community.

1 Like

The only TBC content added below level 58 are Blood Elves and Draenei with their respective starting zones, and both of them are restricted from the level boosts. The level boost allows you to skip through Classic content that already has servers dedicated to it if you want to play it.

There’s no advantage for actual TBC content, it just means one of your characters can actually start playing through it immediately. Non-boosters are going to be the ones with an advantage through their gear and other items they collected that boosters won’t have access to.

That’s why I’m okay with the boosts, even if I’m not going to use it myself.

Yes, you are correct. They are convenience features.

However, this does not mean you are a hypocrite if you like one, but not the other, so long as your basis for liking/disliking is not that they are convenience features.

If your reason for preference/dislike is something unique to one or the other, there is no hypocrisy.

Even this is an oversimplification; after all, you can feel that while both have negative aspects, one can be more negative, or worse. It still wouldn’t be hypocritical to feel this way; not every feature caused the same degree of problem.

You must be great at parties. It’s about the journey not the destination.

:slight_smile:

It’s a boost. It doesn’t change the game mechanics, it doesn’t alter the talent system, world physics, it allows for people with limited time to spend money to circumvent their lack of time. Classic isn’t Vanilla, never will be but it could be an honest recreation of close enough proximity to be called respectful of it for those who wish to play and still get the feeling of Vanilla. And, lets be completely honest about the market in which Blizzard is a part of. Capitalism requires the keeping of shareholders happy. Which means profits need to be made and this is merely one avenue of so doing. If you don’t like the idea of Blizzard remaining financially solvent so you can even partake in your games then by all means, complain about their capitalist behavior that does nothing to change the game mechanics…yawn.

Because he thinks his term paper size post is somehow more meaningful than all those others.

I get an awesome sense of accomplishment when I get a really good blue in classic. Can’t say the same for retail.

The real answer is 99.999999% of us already had level 60s since phase 1 and we still used the boost because why not.

Stop thinking leveling to 60 in classic is only for the chosen few of skill and talent.