What was the intent of Classic?

Your life must be like the movie Groundhog Day.

Pretty sure classic was to relive how the game played prior to Retail.

Classic feels like an RPG with players and guilds that feel alive.

Retail just feels like rush to endgame with bots and do raids every week. And look forward to next xpac making your borrowed power gimmick go away for something else.

I have heavy bias towards Classic due to the fact I don’t raid ever and am happy the game provides me with so much to do that isn’t WORLD QUESTS.

Thankfully my life is good enough to where I’ve never seen a movie called Groundhog Day

Like what? What is there to do in classic when you hit 60?

Yeah, not watching movies is something to be proud of. It makes you a better person than people who watch movies.

massive loose of subs and money with BFA

I mean this is a pretty easy question to answer.

If it pleases the shareholders, Blizzard does it. It’s that simple. Shareholders looked down from their thrones and said “Classic will bring us money. Do it” and Blizzard, not daring to look beyond a horizontal line of sight even to see their jewel-encrusted shoes, said “As you wish my lords” and scurried away, walking backwards through the throne room door so as not to show their backs to the noble share holders.

2 Likes

Classic and BFA were announced at the same Blizzcon.

1 Like

Ya because I said that :joy:

To protect Blizzard’s intellectual property.

All other answers are wrong.

1 Like

so you telling me it was not because Bobby wanted a private island?

Bobby’s new private island is just a happy coincidence.

i think not

It was to protect their intellecutal property.
And they made some money on the side.

1 Like

Bobby got his bonus because of Covid and the stock market. He was convinced Classic was a money pit. If it weren’t for the lawyers, Classic would never have been made.

I agree. This, however, isn’t my point, and is a strawman.

What I’m actually saying is that you can’t tell someone that is against boosts to just shut up about it and that it’s not that bad, and then go and complain when they make a change that you don’t like, and expect to have any argument that will hold any more water than any argument against the boost. Less so, really, as so far I have yet to be convinced that any reason that a person would want one system and not another is merely subjective opinion, which is just one special snowflake amid billions in a blizzard.

Contrast this with the argument that Blizz shouldn’t do the boost because they literally said they wouldnt. It’s obvious that the position that Blizzard should keep their word to their audience is stronger than, “Blizzard should stop adding features and monetization at some arbitrary point that you deem acceptable.” Therefor to keep Classic in a state that satisfies the precedent that we already have come to expect, and cross no player’s boundaries to some whimsical degree, it would make more sense to just not add the boost to keep good faith with the community that brought this game about in the first place.

The analogy is bad because you’re talking about something that would literally be terrible for everyone… Being an objective fact. Player preference for one system or another is highly subjective…

You have to realize that some people are perfectly fine with modern wow just having an alternative Burning Crusade content cycle alongside shadowlands with all modernization, and no classic at all. Your fair-weather opinion that boosts are OK, token is bad, lfg is okay, lfr is bad, will mean nothing more to that person or anyone else than that theirs does to you, and there will be no point in which the community will agree is just “too far”.

You seem to be making the assertion that because WoW Legacy Servers will exist, that Classic Burning Crusade has nothing to do with the game we are currently playing, despite the fact that we will be playing on the same characters that we made to play the classic project, and blizzard has stated that Classic TBC is meant to be a “faithful recreation”.

You genuinely seem to have a disconnect as to why this game even exists at all right now. Blizzard made the changes you are referring to, for the reasons you’re referring to, in the retail game already. When asked if they would ever consider making Classic servers, they ridiculed a fan and told him he didn’t actually want it. So what did people do? They didn’t accept it, and refused to consign themselves to a bad time for it.

And now, you are replying to this post on a very 2004 looking Dwarf. Because people disagreed with Blizzard on what changes for the health of the game meant. Yes, obviously Blizzard should fix methodologies that people might use to exploit the game in unintended ways. That was to be expected from the get go. Boosts and tokens were not.

Spiciness aside, I have spent more than enough time considering exactly this. However, when you actually try to see it from all sides, I think it’s pretty obvious that you’re waaay off the mark here.

I understand that it might suck to have your expectations to have a quick level 58 to where you and your friends could hop right into Outland dashed by Blizz saying, “Sorry. We recognize that we set an expectation for classic that we feel the boost does not live up to, and it will not be included in Classic TBC.” and that it would mean more work to play there, but do you realize that there is a not so insignificant portion of the player base that would love nothing more to do this, but can’t afford to? Where they might barely be able to scrape together money for a sub, but nothing else, and while their friends can boost and play together, Blizzard is creating a situation where they are left in the cold because of financial realities?

Like I said, I can empathize with why getting something convenient for you and your friends like the boost yoinked from the picture by Blizz is frustrating, but it doesn’t stop you from playing the game together. Creating a financial barrier between friends playing together does. You’re making someone the odd man out that is putting a limitation on the group, or is much less able to contribute all together. While I understand both situations, it’s because i empathize with both sides that I believe one situation is an inconvenience and a significant letdown, and the other results in a social punishment in the ability to play the way your friend want to due to a lack of real life resources. Only one of these is literally unfair in the scope of an mmo like this.

You might want to consider other people before lecturing others on not considering other people.

They did, there’s no Boosts in Classic, they’ll be in TBCC servers.

Alright, well you are lousy at making points then, because that’s what I got from it. Again, here’s the quoted section (in case you forgot what you wrote).

You’re claiming an evident hypocrisy. I talked about why it’s not evident. So you meant to say

You seem to be mistaking having an opinion on a subject with having objective facts and evidence to push a case. There’s nothing inherently hypocritical about thinking x retail change was good, but y retail change was bad, especially when we’re talking about very different changes.

It would be hypocritical if I was arguing they shouldn’t do a retail change because it wasn’t in the game, but they should do some other retail change that also wasn’t in the game because I want it. In that situation, the reason for the objection is conveniently ignored when it suits me. That’s hypocrisy. But having an opinion that x change was good for the game, and y change was not? So long as I’m honest in both cases, in that the reason I feel that way is because it’s based on my opinion, there is no hypocrisy.

Also, I never told you to shut up about it. It would be nice if you guys could use a megathread instead of every topic on the forums, but I’ll let the mods sort that out.

But they didn’t say they wouldn’t in TBC. You assumed that would hold because they said they wouldn’t in classic, a very foolish assumption.

You were expecting the precedent from one game rather than the precedent of every other WoW release in the last 12 years?

Again, bad logic on your part, and not their fault.

You keep saying that as though a subjective argument holds no water. Of course it is my opinion, and not neccessarily fact, that the token is harmful for the game in the same way it would be harmful for me to drink scalding water. I did not hide that it was my opinion, I was very clear.

By this logic, without the original game retail would not exist, therefore retail should also have no monetization.

Or without retail, classic wow would not exist, therefore classic should have monetization.

As you can see, the logic does not properly support the conclusion. These are clearly false statements because the logic is faulty. A promise in 2019 about WoW classic means nothing about a 2021 announcement for TBC classic, and the 2021 announcement doing something differently does not mean they lied or broke a promise.

Did I ever say you should not post? Again, I did not tell you to be quiet or shut up. I am conversing with you right now, feeding the conversation. If I wanted your silence I would simply not reply and let this topic rot.

I said you were going to have a bad time if you can’t accept it, and I stand by that. No doubt the players who continued to ask for classic had a bad time until Blizzard finally decided to do it, as well.

This is sheer nonsense.

There’s nothing stopping you from playing with your friend on non-boosted characters, or giving your friend the money for a boost, or levelling a character to play with your friend. You are actually friends with this person, right? These don’t seem like particularly effort-intensive solutions. The boost being available does not result in a social punishment.

If you want to make a new, separate argument for why the boost is financially unfair, go ahead, but don’t pretend it ties into your previous point of “empathy”.

You write eloquently but your conclusions don’t follow from your predicates.

2 Likes

Gathering mats, crafting and maxing a profession to help out other players, playing with friends, building up your character, coming across players in the world, collecting all the rare pets, the quiet joy of fishing, 3 different skill trees to play around with per class, interacting with AH sales trends.

So quite a bit?

All that to just circle around to the simple answer, money. Why do companies do anything they do? You think it’s just out of the goodness of their heart?