What rare characters do you enjoy seeing in RP?

• Dwarves

• Modest paladins

• Non-gimmicky Pandaren (to be fair, this may not be possible)

• Night Elves who adhere to basic lore (e.g. not being born on Teldrassil or acting like human teenagers)

7 Likes

Male draenei who aren’t joke characters

Curious. What do you mean by gimmicky? (Serious question, as I am considering bringing my Pandaren to MG)

You should!
Not sure what the person you’ve quoted is referencing but anything apart from offensive ethnic stereotypes should be fine. The Pandaren, just like other in game races, can be a diverse bunch.

2 Likes

I stan non-combat oriented characters and commonfolk class-types.
:construction_worker_man: :woman_artist: :man_judge: :woman_teacher: :man_cook: :woman_farmer: :man_dancing: :dancer: :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

10 Likes

I like seeing non-playable race characters done in RP, especially when performed with things like Prisms. Ogres, Mogu, Arakkoa, Vrykul. They all have such fascinating and unexplored roleplay possibilities.

3 Likes

Gnomes. Especially those that aren’t joke characters.

2 Likes

By “gimmicky” I meant joke characters and low-effort ethnic parodies.

2 Likes

Gosh, I remember the outcry over the Tanari guild years back, over on WrA. So much rage over that group. But I do miss seeing things like that, canon or not, because they were fun and got people involved in RP.

As for sm0lbean characters, I am here. Speaking demonic.

Why did people get upset over that? It sounds like a pretty great idea for a guild. Were they OOCly dramatic, or something?

I’m too prone to panic to start roleplaying myself (despite talking myself into starting someday, that someday have been waiting for 2 years now) but i had an idea for my draenei shaman but didnt knew a male draenei was such an oddity in the community ^^’

Most Pandaren RPers aren’t those types. Sadly it’s just a minority of people that seem to stick in the minds of others

I am always very glad and excited to see people RP as “simple” characters with standard professions (sailors, lumberjacks, waiters, sanitation workers, etc…). But, they would classify as rare and aren’t too common.
It adds a sort of civilian nature to the city and these characters are usually very open to RP since they understand that their working class character does not have any crazy powers. Refreshing and always fun to see.

4 Likes

I LOVE RPing as a commoner! It sort of puts you into a pseudo NPC status and always offers story hooks to so many RP opportunities!

This is making me miss my commoner character.
A bit of a hustler, but it’s a means to make end’s meet when other work dries up.

Night Elves older than 30 and born on Teldrassil boggle my mind. Teldrassil wasn’t around more than 30 years ago… >.>

2 Likes

Serious Mechagnomes. People who really want us quad-amputee folk to be as fun without all the jokes of our terrible pants choice.

I also enjoy commoners who aren’t ex-military or magi. Or commoners who’s magical talents are purely business related. These are themes that really bring out the heroes in others.

2 Likes

Sometimes this is from new roleplayers not knowing better. I have a friend who started as a NE and even though she read up on them, there is just so much lore for NE that she missed it. Someone said something to her and she fixed it right away.

It also doesn’t help that nothing about Teldrassil makes sense. Darnassus in particular looks ancient, and the whole zone conveys a sense that a culture and ecosystem has been established there for a long time. I won’t even get into how they were able to grow a zone-sized tree (read: stump) in at most a few years or how it holds an entire planetary crust of land and soil, with hills, caves, and old-growth forest on top. Or how it looks nothing like the somewhat more plausible concept art, which shows pathways winding up the trunk and buildings scattered among the branches, all on a much smaller scale.

But I digress.

2 Likes

A bit of a digression from the current direction of the topic, but I really appreciate Light-worshipping/Light-following characters who are not zealous or, if you’ll forgive my crassness, nothing more than people trying to fulfill cringe, “Deus Vult xD” RP fantasis.

IIRC, the Tanari guild(s) on WrA brought about much handwringing because it wasn’t canon; the whole idea of nomadic humans in Tanaris and other areas of southern Kalimdor was basically fanfic. I thought it was a fun idea, personally, but the outcry on the server forums was epic.