What "Fresh" Servers Look Like In Reality

No need for theorizing, we have plenty of examples in the private server world, where some servers start fresh continuously.
What happens you ask? Is it the cure for all our problems?

Not exactly.

What happens is predictable. Fresh starts turn into races with everyone wanting to be king this re-start, and somewhere around AQ when it becomes clear who WILL be king this round, interest plummets, people stop caring about raiding and progression because, well, it’s content they’ve done dozens of times, so there’s nothing new and no reason to do it yet again if they don’t have a shot at server 1st.

Surprising? Not so much, if you understand human nature.

So, if this isn’t what you’re looking for, what exactly is it you want? Just to make everyone else start fresh so you can catch up to them? How selfless, mature of you.

11 Likes

yup. I sure as heck dont want to start over or lose my gold. I have 3 60s with 2 more right around the corner. Not to mention the 12k gold ive acquired. That isnt as much as some of the gold farmers but it is a lot for me and to just have it taken is BS. Ive leveled these characters, Ive grinded for the gold, I deserve it

3 Likes

Don’t like something then don’t do it.

Is that a really difficult concept?

4 Likes

Fine, let the fresh server people go to 1-2 servers and start fresh, but they want to make EVERYONE start fresh, and take everyone’s stuff away for their own selfish reasons.
BTW, Blizz has had “fresh” servers since Vanilla but they had a different name.
They were called “New” or “New Player” servers intended to address exactly this issue. They didn’t take away everyone’s characters, they just created servers for new players to start fresh with other new players. Much more reasonable solution don’t you think?

1 Like

No they don’t.

And those claiming they do are just as bad as this thread.

9 Likes

I’ve heard of those private server races. How many times can you do that before it becomes redundant and meaningless?
For me, not even once, since I can see how that ends from here, no need to experience it.
Seems to me the “fresh” crowd hasn’t put any thought into their demands, other than a knee-jerk reaction to feeling left behind which manifests in telling Blizz to put everyone else back at the start to appease them.

I’m not even progressed and this sounds like a bad idea to me, simply because it isn’t fair to the vast majority of players. Imagine having all your work taken away bc a bunch of children blew a hissy fit over being slow at progression.

Why is this even a discussion? No fresh Classic servers are coming until after Naxx releases. It’s as it should be. I agree that launching fresh Classic servers when there are existing Classic servers still progressing is a bad idea…since many players would bail for fresh.

No need to get stressed about it at this point…we ‘re getting close to the end of this Classic cycle.

The comparison is different when it’s not a complete restart, as private servers often do it.

If people have the option of progressing their existing characters into BC, or starting on a fresh server, the majority of the race-type people are going to stick with their own character. After all, starting at level 60 is a huge advantage in a race to 70!

By the time they finish their leveling and raiding, the servers will no longer be fresh and won’t draw them over. This is why the ideal result is the split; let people who want to progress do so, let people who want fresh do so, everyone wins.

2 Likes

Sounds like a lot of Classic players actually wanted TBC.

Rest assured, your Classic gold and progress will remain in Classic for an undisclosed period of time. If you want to play TBC servers, choices must be made.

1 Like

Well some of them do. While I don’t claim that what those who post on the forum is indicative of players as a whole I do think that most of those who post they want fresh also post they want fresh only. But again, not all.

The posts I have seen don’t want a fresh server. They want a perfect server. They just call it “fresh”.

In their threads they say they want a fresh server with: no bots, no carries, no imbalances, no hacking, no cheating, no RMT, no “whatever is bad this week”, etc.

What they want is control over all the players – as if Blizzard had some kind of control over “all the other players except me”. Some people think this is a single-player game, made just for them.

And that’s fine, just make a couple servers with regular resets for people who are into that.

1 Like

The leveling experience on fresh launch is the best experience you can have in WoW

3 Likes

Being a reasonable person is realizing raiding is awful content that is boring after you have cleared 1 or 2 times, but that leveling and world pvp on a fresh server with friends will never get old

1 Like

And you can keep it all in classic

2 Likes

Roll over to TBC or go down the Classic + route, anything else is waste of time imo.

1 Like

It’s like baseball. They compete every year. Not just once and call it done.

That’s EXACTLY what it is. Just a bunch of envious people who weren’t diligent in their farming or started playing Classic late, so they’re behind. Rather than work to close the gap, they ask for everyone else to be pulled back.

1 Like

until level 30.

There was a guild that started up on a server with almost no Alliance a week or so ago, that apparently had 1000+ people in its discord, as a “Fresh” server. Those who want it are doing it.

:slight_smile:

Edit:

Here’s their forum post:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/fresh-reroll-experience-reinforcements-a-arcanite-reaper/697591

This also seems to be an incredibly good argument against merging servers. Give players agency to create the experience they want, by offering a diversity of player driven population balances across realms.