What exactly is so bad about Danuser's writing?

Fair. He totally botched Zovaal. But I’ve been enjoying Dragonflight now that he doesn’t have to bother with salvaging BFA lore.

I see,you are seeing through the eyes of a human? or a Dracthyr? Or a Son whoes father left them and promising a future they can’t really have?

And the thing is, I wouldn’t mind the books if they were strictly about some side character. WoW has a plethora of side characters you could make great stories with hell they used to do that back in the day when they had their Warcraft Legends mangas.

1 Like

Hello, I see you replied to the thread. Except for the fact Dragonflight is retconning Cataclysm lore, haha! What a joke!

Thanks for your post and have a great day!

6 Likes

A son that just wanted all the suffering he survived to still have meaning. Doomed by the narrative as he chases his fathers legacy.

( okay the fact Sarkareth is voiced by Taliesin Jaffe kinda made me appreciate him more ngl lol )

1 Like

It feels like a story that is 10+ years too late way after we killed Deathwing and forgot about him. And again that story is pretty lame. Oh no daddy left my life is ruined I’m so sad… Very boring.

3 Likes

More “Dad tortured me and now its all for nothing”

Dude was traumatized and just wanted it all to mean something

2 Likes

Perhaps there was too many stories to understand or it was told to fast pace. I know it got me too and still does. I rather have one unique story than five in one expansion to follow to be honest.

1 Like

Again very lame story telling after being frozen for 10,000 years and wants to kill anyone else who gets in his way. Not to mention I had no investment in the story about his character. I literally didn’t care about him, his suffering, or much of anything about this throwaway trash character.

Again just a disposable character setup for a raid tier with some random sad sob story.

9 Likes

If you don’t care then why do you have any opinion on the stories at all? Why are you even here?

I do have an opinion which is what I’m sharing. I mean this is what opinions are obviously.

6 Likes

He writes about topics he probably doesn’t have the talent to write about thoughtfully and a lot of his characters feel/sound the same.

That said I think he gets an unfair amount of hate. Speaking as a game writer myself, you would be surprised how little say the writer actually has. Sometimes the director and art team come up with an idea, money people have thoughts about what would attract an audience and it’s up to you to tie it all together. Then your writing is poured over, edited, etc by people who might not have creative writing histories.

Some of these bat-crazy expansion premises were probably planned ages ago and Danuser is left making sense of them. Remember, for example, that is what the Jailer was supposed to look like. There was clearly different lore around him originally. Something Titan adjacent.

Honestly this is one area where I am low key excited to see Metzen back. It could help WoW achieve more unity in vision.

11 Likes

Truly,you have not reached that level of understanding,each in it’s time will reach it,it isn’t yours then, But for others it is.

If I have to be some literary genius to understand the highly intelligent plot or story then that alone is a failure in story telling.

2 Likes

I meaaaaaaaaaaan

Metzen was also responsible for “Isn’t Falsted dead?”

1 Like

Unity of vision and good writing are not the same! It’s about cohesion.

WoW’s writing has never been actively good, I think.

The most well written expansion to me was Mists of Pandaria and still many other games waaaay surpass it.

5 Likes

To be fair though: The Disney Star Wars is a success and it follows the established Fioloni-ideas before they were acquired. Clone Wars > Rebels > Bad Batch > The Mandalorian > Boba Fett > Obi Wan > Ahsoka all follow these beloved characters and they are still in character.

I had a discussion with my brothers about the transition from Rebels to Ahsoka with two characters in the last episode and it was spot on. Not only did they hit the mark with how the characters speak but also one-liners and call backs, which make it inter-connected and just a cash grab. I can’t say this to the sequel trilogy, which is a waste of time and money.

Regarding Danuser. He is simply not good. You can tell that he has knowledge and understands the dynamics but when you reduce Arthas to a currency and give Sylvanas a pass, then what is there else left to say? They undid so much with Shadowlands, that the story became irreparable to a point that it’s for the best to declare it non-canon. Not only did it ruin the original saga (WC3 → Legion), but also introduced another layer of puppet masters nobody has been asking for.

It’s a complete waste.

3 Likes

I know but you get why I brought it up right?

To me Metzen might be a cool guy but my god is he so mid at story telling. But. Sometimes just because something is mid doesn’t mean its awful. Folks just have him on this weird pedestal and I think its a waste of time

No, you don’t, it is your maturity, You can’t understand an adult story through the eye’s of a 6yrs old ,neither you can’t understand a scientific formula reading a new paper . Those come through time.

These story were part of a past that they are trying to modernize for people like you to understand better ,plus give other who have known them something more to wonder. Is it bad? no is it good ,not really, but people decide that on their own.

the biggest following wow had in the 2000s was because of metzen , get over it

10 Likes