What exactly are the Djaradin?

This feels like a dumb question. Tarjin gives a lot of exposition about their fighting history, but … how exactly do the Djaradin fit into wow lore?

Wowpedia says they’re elemental half giants native to the Dragon Isles.

Tarjin the Blind (man do I want to kill him) claims they were the first earth giants (with their elders commanding fire and earth and teaching them). And there were half-giants who invaded.

But I thought Giants were Titan creations?

How would they fit in with elementals, trolls, and everything else at the beginning of Azeroth?

1 Like

This is all unconfirmed, but all I can do is give my personal headcanon.

I expect that there were a group of Earth Giants (which could have been Mountain or Stone giants, both were created by the Titans) that existed on the Dragon Isles before the Dragons arrived there, and that those Earth Giants were affected by the Curse of Flesh or some other Old God magic, since the Old Gods seem to have a presence underneath the Dragon Isles.

This would explain how the Djaradin ‘descended’ from Earth Giants according to their own folklore, as a earth giant wouldn’t exactly be able to have offspring that were made from flesh.

11 Likes

I mean this is all as reasonable as any other explanation. Just the whole thing feels awkward to me I guess (not because of your headcanon, just in general).

And then who are the half-giants who invaded? Vyrkul have a crashed ship nearby, but I don’t think the timelines make sense then.

2 Likes

Half-giants that invade by the sea could really only be the Vrykrul. If the Time Lines don’t add up, thats because the writers simply don’t know their source material.

5 Likes

I am going with forerunners of the Vrykul, their dragon animosity maybe the influence of odyn. If they were the ‘natural’ forerunners of the vrykul that would also give humans status as natives of Azeroth rather than just being broken titan constructs.

2 Likes

They’re not linked to the Vrykul.

We already know what happened to them. The Vrykul were created as titanforged constructs and then they became flesh and blood creatures after the Curse of Flesh was cast on all Titan-made beings. After the Vrykul became flesh and blood, some of their kin also found that their children were smaller, weaker and deformed. These were nascent proto-humans, which many Vrykul would hide to avoid the decree of King Ymiron which demanded that all the smaller, weaker offspring be killed.

Eventually those nascent proto-humans would become the human race.

The Djaradin are, according to their own history, the descendants of Earth Giants. We’ll likely find out more about them in 10.1, but it’s likely that they’re the result of what happened to titan made Earth Giants who were afflicted by the Curse of Flesh.

6 Likes

How can they be the forerunners of Vrykrul when we’ve seen the mass-producing titan iron Vrykrul 3D printers in Northrend?

Unless you mean they’re some kind of pre-vrykrul prototype. I just want to know why they’ve got such tiny heads. If i was given a giants body with the head of a normal human man, I’d be angry and confused too.

1 Like

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/primordial-trolls-confirmed-in-dragonflight/1223763

When Dragonflight was first announced, it was mentioned that we’d be seeing “primordial trolls” on the Dragon Isles. Presumably, these trolls would’ve been half-elementals, thus solidifying trolls as being Azeroth’s only “true” native mortal race.

Elementals were Azeroth’s first inhabitants, and every other humanoid species has been touched by outside forces.

It looks like all traces of the primordial trolls have been scrapped from the expansion, and their traits were incorporated into the Djaradin.

…unless.

5 Likes

Djaradin could be a variant on the Vrykul, older titan soldiers, and then left to their own devices. Tyr, clearly, has a forge the question is whether he had a titan forging facility as well. He probably worked with such armies before he recruited the dragons and dragon aspects. Any decision to divest his focus from his titan-forged armies would be plenty of space for the titan soldiers afflicted by the curse of flesh to hold jealous animosity for dragons. For thousands of years continuing to fight, their lineage may have been clouded by time, but the emotional sense of abandonment by their creator and replacement by a favored child is fertile ground for any kind of story.

4 Likes

That is one of my worries about this expac going forward.

We were told their would be primordial Trolls. That concept sounded awesome, as it could have solidified some abstract ideas about Trolls, and given them some deeper lore. But now I get the feeling that 5 years later, Blizzard will just say the Djaradin are primordial Trolls after Blizzard just gets sick of people asking : “where are the primordial trolls?”

But who knows? Darkspear need their heritage armor, and Voljin is due to return. Maybe it will all come together.

9 Likes

I’m still hoping primordial trolls are just the dogbar.

4 Likes

I can see the resemblance. Pretty obvious.

So that means Night Elves are just magic mutated Drogbars.

And Drogbar are supposedly failed Titan creatures, which means there are no natives on Azeroth.

2 Likes

I expect the reason why ‘primordial trolls’ was dropped is because Blizzard realized that the lore they set established made that concept impossible.

After all the lore that Blizzard created about the Trolls early history states that they were one of the first lifeforms that were created due to the existence of the Well of Eternity.

Which would mean that no primordial trolls could exist on the Dragon Isles, as ‘primordial trolls’ were never a thing.

It is interesting that the Vrykul are associated with water/ice and storms, and the Djaradin are associated with earth and fire. And they’re both human looking half giants with an intense warrior culture and have a long history with dragons.

6 Likes

I have been a proponent of this since we all kept being called “children of the titans”. That every playable race(including the draenei) can trace their origins in part to the titans.

Its possible that

Just like the curse of flesh affected the 2nd generation of Titan Forged (those who were created through the Forge of Wills and the Forge of Origination), the Giants are the only 2nd Gen Titan Forged not to have their own variant of flesh cursed descendents, and the Djaradin will be revealed to be those descendents.

It is confirmed that the Giants are part of the 2nd generation Titan forged after the 1st generation’s numbers dwindled after defeating both the Black Empire and their subjugated Elemental Lords. What can be inferred however is that unlike the 1st generation of Titan Forged, who were directly created by the Titan Pantheon, the 2nd generation was prone to corruption since they were just Titan Forged created by other Titan Forged.

There is one more theory that I don’t lend much credence to, but there just released Observational Report: Earthen in the updated Uldaman: Legacy of Tyr dungeon indicating there is a variant of Earthen who founded Khaz Algar described as “physiologically the two groups remain distinct.” In the report. This may infer that the Djaradin are actually an alternate evolution of Earthen parallel to the Dwarves.

TLDR: Djaradin are either flesh cursed Giants or a different type of flesh cursed Earthen similar to Dwarves.

Maybe its just both trolls and Humans are both offshoots of the Vyrkul that evolved differently. I mean this expansion has a huge focus on evolution and the different cosmic forces affecting races differently.

I like to think they are a troll offshoot

Thus proving again that all land is troll land

Some kind of 3D printed titan slave-race gone doughy, just like the rest of life on Azeroth. One of Wrath’s worst contributions to the lore, but we’re well stuck with it now.

It’s all okay, because in Shadow Lands we learned that the gods ar 3D printed robots too. What a ride It’s been.

I’m surprised at the obsession with trolls/djaradin being related to yet another variety of Titan creation.

We’ve already got dozens of those.

Wouldn’t you agree that it’d be nice to have one playable species that didn’t come about due to some sort of outside tampering? One Azerothian race that is actually native to Azeroth (as an offshoot of elementals)?

8 Likes