What do we have to do to get a bot banned?

No problem. I gots me an attitude issue sometimes. Its just something ive always wondered because I really cant figure out why theyd wait so long to ban obvious bots. Its insane.

1 Like

In before the “How do you know it was a bot” nonsense

edit: or maybe not?

1 Like

Lol yup they’ve already been here.

If you view everyone as ignorant, it’s time to self reflect.

4 Likes

I mean you might as well cut out the middle man and just grab an account and let it bot 24/7 because by the time it gets banned youll be near gold cap anyway.

1 Like

im confident i could almost single handedly keep a server clean of bots.

i mean a GM has access to everywhere, every raid ID>

ghost into a raid ID, watch the players. does it look like its automated? okay insta ban. move to next instance ID.

done with instances? move to open world and insta tele to player locations and watch them for a few minutes.

spend 2-3 hours a day doing this and bots are essentially done for.

but blizzard cant be bothered to spend a fraction of a % of their PROFITs to improve the quality of their products.

2 Likes

Yep, Activision doesn’t give one solitary 4%$ about the bot problem. Then when the problem is so bad that you’re forced out of desperation to make a post on the forums about the botting problem, you’re immediately bombarded by forum trolls with thousands of posts like Chucktaurus and Bozho (does he even play classic?) trying to defend Activision and make you think it’s the players’ fault that Activision doesn’t enforce the rules of the game.

It’s tragic really.

4 Likes

Imagine believing everything just because somebody told you.

Of course not, why would Activision be enforcing rules for a game they have nothing to do with?

Blizzard’s CS team numbers around 1,000. You think they could solve the botting problem by increasing their team by 0.1% but don’t because it would cost them 50k a year?

The botting problem likely costs them millions of dollars a year.

2 Likes

Here’s some reading to do if people here actually want to learn something, instead of conjuring up false narratives based on absolutely nothing but their own disdain towards this company they continue to funnel money into:

https://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/215264-blizz-mining-bots-are-everywhere-again/

https://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/254071-where-are-all-the-gms-in-game/

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/many-druids-botting/29147/24

If I have just a tiny portion of what we invest in fighting this I could retire, easily - and in style. - [Orlyia] Support Forum Agent 2012/01/04 05:26:00 PM

3 Likes

They can’t afford in game Quality Control people…

Yea i didn’t type that with a straight face…

2 Likes

In game, game masters were the mitigation to all this. Obviously they shouldn’t ban a bot that I know is 100% a bot just because I watched him long enough to know that he is in fact botting. They should have a hired team of people to be in game to respond to tickets and check the botters out themselves. I know A LOT of people that would sit on wow for 8 hours a day from home for $15 an hour taking care of the botting and hacking that is out of control currently.

Botting was so bad years ago that they had to fight the developers of honorbuddy to shut that wow bot down. Here we are years later and light years ahead with hardware and software technology. The hacking and botting is only going to become more prevalent the longer they allow it to go on. I say they allow it to go on because they’re literally doing the VERY least they can do… Expecting a player base to police your own game and then spitting on that very base at every turn is not good policy.

1 Like

Here is what I do not understand a few servers recently had a massive banwave overturned due to some type of internal error and yet the ones illegally hacking and hitting are getting away with it daily

I’ve reported and camped the bots many of times. I’ve yet to see results of the reccuring bots

1 Like

How dense are you? Activision-Blizzard is the company that resulted from a 2008 merger of Activision and Blizzard. Based on the way this company manages it’s games these days I find it much more accurate to call WoW an Activision game than a Blizzard game.

1 Like
5 Likes

Yea because they never say false things… Like how the blues and the blizz twitter dude said them mass bans were legit huh?

LoL Activision has been calling the shots on big game changes and it 1000% shows since they took over majority shares.

1 Like

I suggest you do your own research because you’re not likely to believe any facts I tell you.

2 Likes

you dont have to do anything, all your reports get put into an automated deletion box.

Didn’t say they were legit, they said they were intended. With the appeals that were submit the folks who applied the actions in the first place realized an error had been made in that application and overturned them. That didn’t make what we said on the forums or on Twitter false.

Feel free to believe whatever narrative you wish, it is an unfortunate truth that it is easier to believe the contrary when you don’t otherwise have insight to the process. Especially when anything said to the contrary is brushed aside as a company line, or white knighting, etc…

It generally isn’t as simple as “See person who looks like bot, ban person who looks like bot”. Yes, we can and have suspended or closed accounts like that, it is part of our normal practices. However, overall doing that on an individual level has very little to no impact on the overall practice.

The goal is to have the most impact we can by finding as many of those who are found to be botting as possible, while also masking our methods so as not to let the creators of those programs figure out what we may have found. It is a constant battle, and one that we care a great deal about.

The report feature itself collects data and provides that data for our Hacks teams. They run multiple investigations based on that data to accomplish a number of things.

• First, would be to work to identify potential botting and exploits.
  • Second, would be to use those investigations to find ways to break the programs or somehow automatically detect and/or block them.
  • Third, to penalize those accounts found to be violating our policies.

These investigations take time. Sometimes a few days, but often several weeks. That doesn’t mean we don’t care about them, or the impact that they have on the community. This is a battle we’ve been fighting since the game launched and it likely will be part of our game as well as many others for a long time to come. We have our victories, some minor and some more lasting, but that a bot exists doesn’t mean that we don’t want to do everything we can do eject them from our game as quickly as we can.

Please continue to use the reporting system if you come across someone you believe might be botting. It does help far more than you know and it certainly is appreciated.

21 Likes