What are the rules on hypserspawn farming?

Is farming a hyperspawn against TOS? I’m not exactly sure what the rules around them are. If I am 60 sitting at a lvl 12 hyperspawn for 8-10 hours a day (does not effect questing as there are several other spots for questing, in fact no one even goes this far out for that specific quest), is there any TOS rules I am breaking?

That term seems player-made. “Hyperspawn Farming” doesn’t seem to be an official Blizzard term.

If you’re farming a spawn point with a rapid respawn, it could be considered an exploitation. That’s not likely something that can or would be confirmed here unfortunately.

If you feel something you’re doing ‘might’ be against the rules, it’s best to stop doing it.

1 Like

That’s just it though, I don’t personally feel like i am doing something wrong. The mobs are there, I kill mobs. That’s the game lol. However, someone that also farms in the same spot was banned yesterday. Not sure for what. I can only assume they started botting the area or used scripted auto attacks. If I knew what the exact case was for I wouldn’t even be asking. Thank you though, I will continue to assume it’s ok, but I’m not sure farming rapid spawns is against TOS.

There’s a quirk with quest-related mobs that allows for hyperspawn farming in the first place: When the amount of quest-related mobs alive in an area is below a certain threshold, another mob will instantly spawn. You can see this in places like Fray Island in the Barrens (minimum of 4 non-named pirates spawned at any given moment) or some of the Sethrak encampments in Vol’Dun (haven’t explicitly tested this, but it looks like some of the encampments have a lower limit of 2-3 mobs spawned at any given moment).

It works well enough when there’s just one person attacking things, but the spawn rate gets ludicrous when you have people able to cover all the possible spawn points.

They have monitored loot from hyper-spawns. Any hyper-spawns Blizzard had issues with in the past they addressed by changing how loot drops from them. Whether they consider it exploitation or not is not something players would be able to answer.

3 Likes

Since when? I’ve been farming rapid spawn points for years. there’s a well known spot in Wetlands where 10-20 skinnable dragonfolk pop out of a portal every minute. If Blizzard considered farming them to be an exploit, they would have changed he spawn rate years ago.

Or the drops. Including skinnability. They have nerfed skinning on hyperspawnable mobs before (to only yield low-value grey VT).

3 Likes

This also happened to the cloth dropping mobs in a particular part of Deepholm – they no longer drop cloth and no longer count as mobs for potions of treasure finding drops.

2 Likes

The packs of small scorpion mobs in Dread Waste during Mists comes to mind. Skinning paradise for a brief period while they were able to be skinned :wink:

2 Likes

If it spawns, and you can kill and loot it, then you can do so. Fast spawn rates aren’t bugs and not exploitation. If devs don’t like it, they’ll make modifications.

4 Likes

Yes, if there’s a bug that leads to an exploit, it is indeed something for them to fix. However, it’s our responsibility as players not to take advantage of such exploits too.

There are rules in place that are to be followed. If you’re caught not following them, then yes, they have proper grounds for account actions.

7 Likes

I think we are not getting the whole story here. I’ve farmed those frogs for hours and was never banned for it.

6 Likes

So then you are aware of the part in the EULA that says they own the account and reserve the right terminate said account at any point in time for any reason, or no reason… They are never going to be able to write rules that cover absolutely everything in the game. The hyper spawns issue would be covered under exploits though as it would be considered taking advantage of in game mechanics.

Also just to note when you appeal a ban or suspension it isn’t a way to argue your case in front of Blizzard. It is simply a way for them to look into the issue with a fresh pair of eyes and see if the original action was correct. They do not look at any evidence that you provide, they look at the logs and the action taken by the original GM then they decide if that action was warranted or not.

4 Likes

Blizzard owns the game, they can make the rules and deem what is and what isn’t within the rules. Fighting about it on the forums won’t change such because you feel entitle to do something.

2 Likes

This is absolutely flat out false. Please show me one case in any court where it is ruled that Blizzard does not own the account and can not close it for any reason or no reason at all. You can’t because it hasn’t happened. There is no due process involved so nothing has to be proven. This isn’t a court of law it is a video game and you are renting access from the characters from Blizzard.

Blizzard doesn’t need to say anything as they already have a clause that states you can not do things that take advantage of game mechanics, which would include hyper spawn farming if it is bad enough to be considered an exploit.

7 Likes

Actually when it comes to the game, it quite literally is like that.

2 Likes

That doesn’t answer anything as it was requested to find a case where a ToS was not held up in court, not a term for breaking it. More to the point, any such event would be in court reports that anyone can find - namely not on Reddit.

4 Likes

Are you in Brazil? Are you 100% positive your circumstances are identical? You are talking about multi-boxing. The player in that lawsuit was not multi-boxing. Different circumstances.

I haven’t seen any court cases against Blizzard banning someone from Europe.

I’ve read the EULA. It is in plain, understandable language.

4 Likes

If you want to pursue the legal aspects, that can’t be done over the forum. Nor can it be done through tickets. Any appeals have to go through the ticketing system.

2 Likes

Would love some proof of this, as Blizzard made it clear they can action anyone for any or no reason they see fit.

License Limitations. Blizzard may suspend or revoke your license to use the Platform, or parts, components and/or single features thereof, if you violate, or assist others in violating, the license limitations set forth below. You agree that you will not, in whole or in part or under any circumstances, do the following:

cheats; i.e. methods not expressly authorized by Blizzard, influencing and/or facilitating the gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods;

4 Likes