We told you Blizzard was not going to cave in

Blizzard did cave in regarding BfA. Like Azerite, account wide essence, purchasable corruption.
Its just that, it takes time for them to notice.

So it’ll take till like 9.2 for them to cave in…

“Instead just keep on marching forward ignoring all feedback until its too late and then wonder what happened afterwards.”

I feel like its a positive trait for a developer to be able to admit they were wrong and be willing to change course even at a small initial loss. People like to give FFXIV a lot of praise lately, and given that it is one of WoW’s strongest competitors there is a lot to learn form their competition. There is a reason why competition is a good thing, competition forces reflection, innovation, and adaptation.

Did you know they (FFXIV) scrapped their entire v1.0 of their game because their player’s said it was bad, like… really really bad? That their player’s were VERY vocally upset, akin to what you are seeing on these forums. However, the development team had the guts to say “You are right, this does not meet the quality standards of what we want to put out.” They took the loss and then proceeded to shut down their servers and start over. Now look at the game. It’s re-launch was extremely successful and highly praised, heck there are entire documentaries on the whole ordeal on Youtube. FFXIV has become one of THE biggest MMO’s on the market and arguably WoW’s biggest competition. Had they stuck to their guns like what you are telling the WoW dev team to do, what do you think would have happened to that game? Having a strong brand history only gets you so far and gamer’s are no fools to such things. Looking at you Fallout.

There are situations where sticking to your guns can work. I personally do not think this is it though.

The people putting money into the game? I don’t understand this argument at all. WoW is nothing without it’s player base, most online games aren’t honestly. Ideals won’t maintain servers, pay their employees, or send the message to the higher ups, the bean counters, that the game should continue to be maintained vs being put into maintenance mode. With that said, I don’t think WoW is on the verge of dying any time soon and Covenant’s won’t be what kills it, however I believe it is one of the last key factors stopping it from being a truly AMAZING experience. There is a lot of good things going for it and a lot of great changes have happened from feedback. Sticking to their guns on this part, however, I truly feel is a bad decision.

I always find it odd when I read this argument because its always worded to try and make it sound like the Player’s are the enemy. The Player’s don’t want this game to suck, they want it to succeed because obviously they enjoy it. The problem is that when a player says “This is what I want, this is what I like.” and it’s seen as a personal attack. Saying you like or dislike a system is not a personal attack, it’s expressing what they as a fan want to see in the game and what they like. It’s honestly the greatest strength of having a vocal community because they are very willing to say what they do like and what they don’t like. Doing innovative/different thing’s isn’t necessarily bad, it can keep the game from going stale, but innovation/being different should not come at the cost of what works at the foundation/makes the game great.

WoW is not a monopoly of the MMO market anymore, WoW has very serious competition and BFA was a pretty shaky expansion. Now is absolutely NOT the time to be digging their heels in and ignoring feedback. I don’t say that as a “WoW will die if they don’t give in to demands” type statement, this one thing won’t kill WoW flat out, but it isn’t really helping the game either right after BFA. It really dampens the expansion hype train for me when I can see the course we are on and know how this path ends. Its a path that I am not sure I want to keep repeating as it gets terribly exhausting.

Shadowlands has a lot of good things going for it, I think the way Covenant Abilities are hard tied to the Covenants however is a bad decision. While the decision can be changed in a later patch what is the cost of spending 6-8 months, if not more, with a bad decision?

3 Likes

At least variance cant get worse than it is with corruptions, nothing could be worse than a proc doing 30-40% of your damage in 1 pull and 10% in the next one.

At least I hope it cant get worse.

I don’t think you understand how these things are calculated at this point.

Let’s say a spec varies from 95-105, and the other spec varies from 100-110.

Well both have 5% give or take internal variance, but one has 5% higher overall output.

Capiche ?

its pretty bad.
like I don’t want to be petty but it really is bad.

No, I have not played SL yet, just read all the overviews. Personally I am not happy the the best Covenant for most melee DPS is Night Fae, I don’t want to be a DK that looks like a Druid.

It’s more that it takes time for the guild Elitist Jerks to run into walls in raiding because of their slow progression and then Ion needs a boost for his guild, so he makes things appear in game or suddenly, bosses get nerfed.

It’s always a running gag when a hotfix appears with a raid boss nerf, to see if Elitist Jerks started progression on it the day prior.

1 Like

No, I’m asking if you engage in higher tiers of play in PVP, Mythic+ and raids?

I’m not that vain about numbers.

Peak Sonichu

Wow raiding is literally a math simulator.

Covenants as they are divide people into two groups “those that care” and “those that don’t”. And it’s a stupid thing to have to argue about to begin with because the solution is pretty simple. Don’t tie player power to expansion systems.

If I’m a group leader trying to give my group the best chance of success, why would I even bother inviting the person who couldn’t be assed to care enough to choose the “right” covenant over someone who did?

4 Likes

Because guilds won’t care about how well you play, they’re there for unlimited free carries.

What’s wrong with this picture?

People who go away for a long break sometimes don’t come back.

Mathematics is absolute. It has nothing to do with vanity. If you think it does, that suggests you are innumerate.

Which they could do at any time, but they have chosen instead to leave dead talents with misleading tooltips that make them all look equally good to the unsuspecting low information player.

It’s like Jimmy No Gems. No one likes Jimmy No Gems.

5 Likes

Yet groups that accept players with the wrong covenant for the content type will also accept players with no gems/enchants, dead talents, badly itemized gear, etc. Groups like that will struggle and fail more often.

1 Like

Guilds are far more flexible than random pugs.

Ok? But it’s not as important for AotC than Cutting Edge, which was my point.

Quite the opposite, guilds will ask you to be fully gemmed, enchanted and will look over your logs.

Pugs, usually you’ll make them drool at the sight of an achievement and they’ll let you in without questionning it much.

When your AotC guild starts shedding members because leadership is insisting on bringing Jimmy No Gems and no one is asking him to fix the “No Gems” part, your leadership will start enforcing the rules. AotC guilds usually have more casual players that will make progressing the Heroic last boss as hard as a Mythic guild progressing Mythic bosses, so any advantage they can get to help them get over a hump will be used and called for even at that level.

Remember, not every player is equal, and sometimes, just passively speccing to get 5% more output is 5% more output, whether you’re a 99th percentile or 25th percentile player. Jimmy having 5% more output sure would help.

2 Likes

We tell them so much it literally became a meme.

That sounds great on paper, but that only matters if people do what they said. If the players had as much power as they think they do. The threats would have worked, and Blizzard would have caved in.

And I also don’t agree that the consumer should always get what they want. I want a game design by Blizzard not by players, yes changes can be made base off feedback, but just as many people who don’t like it. I’m sure we can find as many that do.

This perfect world where we all get what we want can’t happen in game design, and with how the loudest scream and kicked, threaten, and act like they know what is best not Blizzard. Blizzard needs to show them that they are not the game designers. They are, and they will not always get what they want. That does not mean the system will always stay this way, but for every person who does not like it. Did.

Sure. If you’re getting a carry because your guild is willing to carry nobodies, then the math isn’t important to you.

1 Like