We told you Blizzard was not going to cave in

Nothing like watching youtube, and a bunch of videos pop up saying how this is a mistake. That wow is not really a mmo it is more like a action rpg, and that making the game something that it has never really been will be the death of wow blah blah blah. Or my fav one. Well see you in 9.3 when they change it.

How the community acted on this issue, proves to them that the problem is not the system, but the community. Like I been saying all this time, the amount of hissy fits going on is crazy. The worse part of all this is? It is mostly on the pugging side of things. Where you got people wanting to take the anger out on each other through it. You got people on MMO champion saying, even if Blizzard balance it to be 1 percent each other they don’t care. That they will still invite the 1 percent over the others.

So Blizzard, even if the system does not “work”. (I mean that is silly, it will work just fine. Even if you fail to balance it. it is still doing what you wanted.). If you change it in the future or pull the rip cord. You are empowering this community to act out like this, and it will look bad on you. Already got people saying they can’t wait to say I told you so when it gets changed in a patch.

So don’t change it, the whole…“This will kill wow.” bs we heard every year when people don’t get his or her way. I don’t think they will ever learn the lessons of the past. That this is not going to kill the game.

72 Likes

They looked at most of the issues like gearing, pvp vendors, alts. The only issues that remains is covenants /shrug

All they have to do is make the CD for switch be like 24 hours or 72 hours (which they wont do which sucks).

6 Likes

They’ve caved on every other bad system we’ve brought up for the last 4-6 years, they just wait until after release and a bunch of people quit before they do it.

Remember when Ion had to come on stream and apologize to the community for azerite even though people gave the feedback long before it went live? Yeah that was great.

Same thing will happen here, we have to play a half finished game until 9.1-9.3 and at some point they’ll give us the full product we can enjoy for the last 6 months of the expansion and the cycle repeats itself in 10.0.

89 Likes

I mean sure, but that does not mean this one is bad.

Also, with how the community acted over this system. Even if it is bad, and cave in. The big fuss some of the streamers and community made over it. That would pretty much show them that they know better than Blizzard, and if we know anything about Blizzard. Pride won’t let them do that.

So I think in a way, all the hissy fits and stuff. Hurt your chances of it getting changed.

2 Likes

You are entitled to your opinion and we’re entitled to tell you that you’re wrong.

Maybe see you in 10.x.

22 Likes

That is fine, but if Blizzard caves in. Than who is really in charge of game design? The loudest bunch or them?

I’m hoping they still got enough pride to stand ground for the whole expansion. These types of systems could very well make Wow fun again, even if it is not “this” sort of system.

6 Likes

At this point, I’d say the ‘rebellions’ are expected and even accounted for.

I know I’d expect, attempt to guess, and be inclined to influence.

Just a reminder folks. World of Warcraft has a long and proud history of embracing the poo stirrers.

The people recruited from EverQuest and the people from the raiding scene.

Its not all bad, and you can only steer the mule, not make it stop.

1 Like

The dev team is in charge of course.

That doesn’t mean ignoring or retreating on conversations with negative feedback from experienced players is going to be a net positive for the game.

There was no resolution. They basically said it couldn’t be done and so they’re not doing it.

Also worth noting is that you’re being incredibly dismissive of people who have over a decade of very involved experience with the game. I’d argue justifiably that some of the critics have more experience with the game than some of the developers at this point.

13 Likes

Any system that inherently depends on Blizzard balancing anything is going to not be good.

They literally haven’t been able to get balance right once in 15 years in a x.0 patch.

They are literally turning what is supposed to be a fun choice for players to make, that will affect their main base, give them a cool mount and armor transmogs, and turning it into a choice Icy-vein will make.

22 Likes

Give it til the first patch. Maaaaybe 9.1.5.

1 Like

That is fine? That is the nature of gaming.

I don’t expect a MMO to be balance, and a game that is always changing never will be. Also, most of the problems this gets bypass by having a guild that does not care, aka more social elements.

Having power tied to your choice is a ok design in a mmo, the problem comes from the community, and how weaponize the community does with every player choice in a pugging. Due to tools or what not since Group Finder has replace guilds for many players. So having a system like this, is just another tool to be weaponize by the community to make groups in, making some people feel left out.

That is not a problem with the system, that is a problem with community.

12 Likes

They actually made it worse by constantly talking about it and claiming it is going to effect their game-play as that’s the point.

They could have just said I am not happy , not playing and i will return only when it get better. Then when pre-order sales and subs dips they would get a few hits on their noggin from management.

1 Like

Alot said that during Pandaria.

Pandaria is the best xpac ever! the gold standard!

4 Likes

So I guess you would like it if each talent from each row was locked behind a system like this, and you wouldn’t be able to switch for some reason.

These are literally “talents”, or new abilities, our classes would have gotten anyway. They decided to lock them behind systems and call it “content” and “meaningful choice”. These choices make sense in an RPG, which are single player games. It makes zero sense here, especially since all of the covenants are fighting together to protect the shadowlands. It makes sense that we would have access to all powers.

Locking these abilities isn’t fun, it’s bad design and far from meaningful.

2 Likes

The customer you are trying to sell your product to. If enough of your customers do not want what you are selling then you change what you are selling to suit your customer.

Pride doesn’t make you money. You seem to forget Blizz s a business who’s number one priority is making money.

7 Likes

I personally like this.

I honestly wish we had characters that couldn’t respec at will as well, and what you roll is what you roll.

But covs. Compared to that is small. I mean big fin deal if you can’t have the best of everything and now have to choose between being the best with A and only okay-good for B, or best for B and only okay-good for A.

I think this is fine and in fact I like this setup. Making choices matter.

13 Likes

Yawn, lost you right there.

3 Likes

Yes and No?

I would find it tedious having to change factions each time I wanted to do content, because I’m a gamer and I’m going to at least go that far to make things a little bit easier even if it requires a tedious step for me.

So changing talents, changing covs. I’m not a big fan of it. I also think it is bad game design. When making a group, I think group design should be made base off your pros and cons. If you pick more single target faction. Get some aoe dps. Make groups base off each others strenght. But hey that is much harder to pull off.

That is true, if Blizzard was really worried about that. The fact that all the threats did not get them to change this, shows that the I will quit crowd not only do you have very little power. Blizzard called your bluff, and don’t seem to be worried at all.

3 Likes

This 15-16 year old game has never had those restrictions before, and to try to force them now will not go over well. We will find out at launch just how “okay” people really think they are with this. Sure, there are a few that won’t be affected because of their little group of friends they do stuff with. But to not have the ability to swap specs/rolls whenever you want will not go over well with the vast majority.

3 Likes

I said this in another thread but the other thing that happens around the time the xpac “matures” is that you could put five people together running the worst possible combination of Covenants they could pick, and you’re still going to clear a +15 key if all five are skilled players.

To know what the true impact of not pulling the ripcord is, you’ve got to figure out how many people are affected by not pulling it. If this problem comes down to people trying to pug mythic raids and/or ultra-high keys, then we’re talking about a very small percentage of the population.

This is not like the flying snafu in WoD, which affected literally every account. We’re talking about somewhere between 2-10 percent (and I’m being generous) of the player base here. And for that, it’s expected that the story team just shelve the entirety of Covenants and choice? Probably not going to happen.

The other way to look at this is if you’re a true bleeding-edge player, you already have no “choice”, you’ve never had it and you never will. You’re expected to play a certain set of talents, Covenants, corruptions, etc., whatever gets you the best number.

Joe Blow putting together a pug group for M+5 Motherlode isn’t going to give a rip (or at least, has no right to give a rip). And this is assuming they won’t balance Covenants once it goes live, but they probably will.

5 Likes