"we feel that the min max meta limits choices."

I don’t disagree that it’s only one ability. And as I pointed out in the other part of my reply, it sounds small enough that it may not even be worth getting over a more optimal class/spec for the dungeon.

At the very least, it gives you a slight edge in the dungeons you get the bonus for, while setting you behind everyone in your class/spec for the others.

Wait they told you you’re the Farseaer? They told me I’m the Farseaer. Those bastards tricked us!

1 Like

We have these things nowadays called “computers,” which you may be familiar with since you’re on the internet. This will be simmed. It’s not rocket surgery.

But hey, when you get rejected for choosing something massively sub-optimal, try telling them that you can’t change it. See if that makes them decide they really do want to take you.

:rofl:

This is how you know the dev team doesn’t secret shop things like LFG/LFR.

1 Like

People who hate covenants seem to not want make choices. They want a meta where everyone is the same in every situation.

It’S mY cHoIcE tO bE tHe SaMe As EvEryOnE eLsE!

1 Like

Yes. These boards are filled with “Rejected cuz I don’t have Blood of the Enemy” or “Can’t get a group cuz I don’t have Haste Gems”.

Wait? No this doesn’t come up. It’s “Raider io sucks!” because that’s how people are chosen. SL will be the same.

No, we don’t want to make RP choices that impact player power.

4 Likes

I understand your argument. Some people want to be optimal all the times. Others want the freedom to experiment with different specs and abilities. Some may want to use one mobility ability in town, and another when running through a long cave.

Unfortunately, choosing a covenant and earning their powers is a huge part of the story. I’m sure every patch will expand those powers and may open things up in the future, but it’s not going to change before launch.

:man_shrugging:

Not according to the people saying that Covenants will finally allow them to pick whatever they want without getting rejected. Apparently they’re getting tossed to the curb daily.

1 Like

Maybe, but how many subs are they going to lose on another borrowed power system that has gotten a ton of negative feedback before launch?

They could have nailed this with the story and RP being the only locked thing, with only utility abilities for each, and a revamp of the talent system.

not possible. every single game has a meta. every game.
the players will figure it out and enforce it.
its like fighting the tide.

they should really consider balancing to change that, because as of right now, they havent done anything that is going to have any influence on that outside of MAYBE one dps slot, “oh, they dropped the rouge for a war, because night fae dungeon activators are OP and war does just a poop hair more cleave with night fae than rouge” and honestly more likely they will just have another rogue with night fae instead of kyrian.

rings having no main stat, mastery being a dead stat for many, haste caps.

this is false. we easily can and will not take you for being sub optimal. your sub optimal build will have less io because your sub optimal butt will be the reason some of your keys dont chest, so you wont meet io requirements.
in raid, its gonna be wipe, check dps, “i know a 250 fire mage can do more damage than that, oh look the pleb is night fae” el bootsky.

1 Like

There’s where you’re wrong. As long as there are multiple choices there will always be a best choice. Making things more complex just means more testing or math is required, but doesn’t change the fact that there is a best option. All that making things harder to change will do is change who gets invited to groups. "Oh sorry, you’re not kyrian, we’re going to invite this other person of the same class that is kyrian, because kyrian is better for this content. Dps thought they were getting declined a lot before, just wait.

2 Likes

Accurate.

1 Like

The point is that if you they don’t make any impact on how you play then they don’t matter.

Having a cool cosmetic effect you enjoy is nice but from a gameplay perspective you are still the same as everyone else.

Disagree. Just being RP and story, I’m still having to choose 1/4 of the content around covenants. That’s impacting how I play also.

Why do you think this won’t be the case?

Being hard to swap won’t mean that a meta doesn’t exist. It’ll just make it more annoying if you want to play something that isn’t meta for whatever reason, because of the annoyance of changing back to what is.

If covenants were cosmetic and story only it wouldn’t change how you play. It would only change what you are doing while solo. It would make every priest the same regardless of what choices they make. That makes it very shallow and mostly meaningless choice.

1 Like

I think the RP crowd would vehemently disagree.

Maybe. But the RP crowd don’t actually play the game. They make up their own games.

There used to be a higher cost to respeccing and well as a need to go back to a NPC in a major city.

The end result was that people didn’t respec for individual fights, which is the main part that I think isn’t good with the current system.

I have no real problems with people having a raid build, a pvp build, etc.