Waterworks: Waxface -Overtuned?

Where does it say that? The TWW product page doesn’t say its specifically for solo players, even though everyone seems to believe Blizzard has marketed it strictly as such. You aren’t “forced” but if you struggle with something solo, and you can do it with others – even just duo with a friend – why would anyone continue to bang their head against a wall and then cry for content nerf when another option exists?

This isn’t MT or CM that has to be done solo.

I did it in a group of 5 with 580-590 mythic players and it took us a wipe after we knew that move existed. Requires a fully cranked healer for sure but you are supposed to have 603 ilvl for this, so maybe it will feel better then.

just solo’d it at 588 ilvl prot pala, brann in healer mode, the clouds of green definately eat a tick of burning per, so you keep him inside the 2nd one he spawns, he’ll eat that first cast, then 2nd cast you’re hiding behind the other one, and you should no problem live the third/fourth tick. heal up and start again, i did this with one lantern on the ground, never picked it up, just keep putting poisoins around the edge running behind one using every other global as WOG and letting healer bran slowly kill him lol

i was up to 20 something deaths on waxface on t7 as a protwarrior.
Don’t get me wrong i 100% know it can be done. for burn away i could just use spell reflect for the magic damage negation and use impending victory for a quick heal… but even so after every burn away my health was low and i would be looking for any of brann’s hp pots to get myself back up. So i would lose my focus on waxface when he starts casting the poison aoe and start running just a second too late. Poison aoe ability is a 1 shot. go directly to respawn, do not pass go, do not collect loot.

Like i said i know it’s possible, but after going through 4 poison/burn away cycles looking up and seeing that waxface was only at 80% I don’t have the ability to be perfectly on the ball over such a long fight

Because solo players have been asking for more challenging, progression based content forever, and Blizz said, okay, here are delves then… they did open it up to small groups as well as an option but not a requirement. They are role agnostic as well. They wouldn’t have wasted time or money creating an entirely new pillar for groups when groups already have dungeons and raids. This is for solo players primarily.

I’m not personally crying for a nerf, I am only saying if the content has been tuned to specifically require a group than the entire point of delves is already lost and ruined.

And this isn’t dungeons or raids that have to be done in a group. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This boss is definitely overtuned, and/or the mechanic to soak the Burn with poison isn’t working. On a tier 6 I had zero issues, the Burn was doing maybe 1/10 of my hp per tick. It was trivial to mitigate with CDs. On tier 7 it was doing roughly 1/3 of my HP per tick and I could only mitigate my survival of two instances of Burn. Standing in the poison didn’t actually mitigate any of the damage whatsoever, so if that’s the mechanic then it’s broken. After two instances of Burn, I was out of CDs and at low health from the Burn/Throw Wax combo and Waxface was only 30 percent hp. Goodbye, bear.

Clearly the fact that the damage from the Burn is so high is communicating that we ought to have a way to negate or mitigate it somehow, but there’s nothing. I tried line of sight, nope. Distance, nope. Be out of the totem, nope. Behind the boss, nope.

Also, the final Air Totem was only sporadically showing up. Some attempts I would have a fresh Air Totem right before Waxface, and some attempts I had to make due with a tiny Air Totem from back at the revive point.

I was able to kill Waxface on T8 just fine solo. Set bran to healer, and remember to walk on top of the health potions he throws on the ground, and don’t stand in the avoidable damage.

1 Like

I also tried having stacks of the poison from the delve mechanic, standing in the poison pool (does more dmg than the burn away) , having him stand in the pool, behing behind the pool. Nothing worked.

The fact the name is “burn away” suggests is supposed to do dmg to something and remove it. Maybe he is supposed to drop more poison pools between each burn away.

This is 100%, word for word, how I did it on my affliction lock as well. However if you’re out of revives but want the loot, you can just leave the delve and try again from the very beginning (which is what I did)

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I’ve been busy with other things and haven’t even attempted T8 Waxface yet. I was only replying to someone who was telling others that they should group. I was saying that delves are meant to be able to be solo’d. :upside_down_face:

It’s up again today! Went in, did it with revives remaining this time, but honestly, I’m just at the point where I refuse to do this again. It’s not fun. It’s barely beneficial as I can just do other ones later in the week to use my keys on if it pops again since I’ve only got 5 left I doubt I’ll be missing out on much. Devs either need to nerf it or it’ll become wasted content. Everyone hates this place. It’s the only place I go in where general chat is constantly trashing it. I was able to solo it twice as prot, I’m not willing to get angry at it anymore. Devs just need to nerf it. Sure, give a feat of strength so the elitists who can boast about beating it before nerf without any deaths. I just refuse to continue to do content multiple times a week that is going to get me angry even when I complete it. Result: Waxface and waterworks is just bad content.

Just finished as a ~580 prot warrior. Brann on healing with Unbreakable Iron Idol and Amorphous Relic.

I made sure I had one or two big defensives for every one of the fires - spell reflect, spell block, health pot, demo, etc. Made sure to pick up Brann’s health pots whenever I saw them to top off and victory rush basically on cooldown. If you can make it the first couple minutes you can make it forever since the fight doesn’t change. Fight took like 4.5-5 minutes.

Spec:
CkEAmidFBOBFf5oKuZ7r/WeW7YEDAAAAzMzMmxMmZbmlZMzCzYQjxDYMDwsMDG2YmZMDzYYAAAAAAAzMDAYZbDwwAbwyiRjZAMLxG2A

What an absolute joke. This tells us everything we need to know about if they play their own game or not and the answer is NO. One shot while in defensive stance by a crit from Burn Away. The poison pools do nothing but add extra damage to the already insurmountable output by him, running away does nothing.

Even the little kobolds " Thwack " is doing absurd damage compared to other delves basic mobs.

Looks like we need to extend the what’s become a daily maintenance to 8 hours a day so these sloppy devs can actually take time to play their own game and fix things that shouldnt have been an issue at launch

Arms Warrior 587 ilvl on t7

Guess they read my message and decided to lock my character inside Waterworks now. Cant hearth, cant use the leave group command, cant use the leave delve portal :ok_hand:

First delve boss I’ve tried to solo that brann can not aggro. The boss goes for you the entire time and does more damage than the other bosses AND you have to deal with the stupid light mechanic.

Absolute fail design on this one.

I only solo them on alts and have to do 7s cause they’re undergeared but even a 7 of this is 10x harder than other 7s. Got all the way to this boss and now it’s just a waste of my time cause I’ll run out of lives. Trying to kite and line of sight while Brann kills him might work but I think the light mechanic and the amount of time it takes to kill him even with a 27 Brann makes me doubt it.

Oh and he has a massive AoE that ignores line of sight, has a massive range and you can barely heal through it as a healer? Nice.

Also, the totem right outside his area doesn’t spawn half the time so you get to start that pull with a tiny circle.

This doesnt actually work. I take 12mil damage standing in it and also took the ticks of the burn. you read this on reddit didnt you?

To me, it seems like the intended mechanic should be to jump in the water during burn away, I mean, were in the waterworks, and you would be able to just jump off the bridge into the water when he starts the cast. and it makes thematic sense over standing in poison somehow absorbing fire, which doesnt actually work bust some people are saying it should… either way complete joke of a fight and blizz needs to fix it or im not touching their untested mess of a “solo” system.

No no don’t stand in the poison, you stand behind the poison as if it’s a pillar and you are line of sighting the boss, that’s what I did. But todays clear it was only hitting me 160k a tick on tier 8 so I’m assuming it was nerfed.

1 Like

his aoe, while solo was ticking on my tank for 950k lol

all those unavoidable aoe effects from bosses are hitting way too hard. Its braindead boring to get to the boss that is then a hard gear check. Garbage content and blizzard can shove it.