Water Strider nerf IS bad. Here's why

The root of some arguments against this change seems to be:

This mount already had water walking as a established feature of the mount so leave it as is and give a additional slot to this one mount only?

Guess I shouldn’t throw stones at others, I just path of frost and use anything I want mount wise. Appears I’ll have water walking and a equipment slot for any mount.

1 Like

This is an ever evolving game, if you are unable to correct mistakes the game will go to the toilet. Water strider made all ground mounts obsolete. This is a mistake and it is being corrected.
Having the objectively best mount in the game locked behind a rep grind in an old expansion is bad game design. This is being corrected now.
Having an item accessible to all players that make a class trait completely and permanently obsolete, is bad game design.
You can’t twist this into a bad thing.

No it didnt

14 Likes

I’d be perfectly fine with it keeping it’s water walking without the slot. I already ride the mount I want and change to my strider for large bodies of water anyway. Its as simple as rightclicking my mount icon for me thanks to my macro.

5 Likes

I’m glad you gave examples of ground mounts that are not objectively inferior than the water strider, otherwise I would be confused.

Use your head before you post next time, how did I contradict myself here?

You claimed people don’t really use it when talking about people in the city.
I said outside the city you rarely see something other than the two said mounts. You comment thinking you = everyone when your POV on this issue is in the minority.

Go look around zones with water in the way and it will be the most common mount used.

I pointed out the only place you really don’t see the WS is zones without water, DUH the only reason people use that mount is to WALK ON WATER without water, of course, we can use our favorite mounts over it.

1 Like

I use my dragon mounts and saber mounts. Any mount that looks cool. Those mounts are not inferior to my water strider. It just has a special ability, because it was something special, just like flying mounts are.

Just do the reputation grind and you would have been able to run/walk on water.
Plus your a shaman. All you have to do is cast the walk on water ability, so you have no ground to stand on this matter.

3 Likes

Did you really need examples? Crossing water is a pretty minor part of the game.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t the same goal be accomplished by making the water strider keep its water walking but having it not benefit from equipment, like the Sky Golem? That way it is advantageous walking on water but worse on land (since you would be foregoing the daze protection or the parachute). Just seems like the most elegant approach.

8 Likes

Bigger question: right now I can put barding on the strider. Is barding now turned into equipment?

If so it’s a nerf and an indication that mounts should all have 2 slots. Because I did that ALOT.

Or the alternative is not to wait to activate flying until most of where you travel is meaningless.

THIS IS NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT

7 Likes

That’s not what people are saying at all. They’re saying leave the water walking on the water strider as it already is and keep it from benefiting from the equipment slot, as is happening with things like the Sky Golem.

This is a stupid change. This is all about Ion’s absurd hatred of the water strider. Most people don’t use it all of the time, at least not on any of the servers that shard with mine. This is a significant nerf. We can currently have both water walking when needed and anti-daze through barding (there’s no way they’re not going to take away the current barding stuff in favor of the permanent equipment). This is going to require going out to the middle of nowhere in Pandaria anytime you want to get water walking on a character and paying for it over and over.

Aside from all that, it’s a complete raised middle finger to people who play Alliance at end game. Again. The Alliance starts in a different, much more difficult area in Siege of Boralus. How do we get around it? By using our water striders to get to where the Horde starts. Stuff like levitate already gets knocked off by the sharks in the water where the water striders are fine. So if you do M+, you’re going to have to choose the water walking or add several minutes to the start of every Siege as people get killed over and over trying to get to the appropriate starting spot.

9 Likes

The looks of the mount does not change the fact that it mechanically objectively better than all other ground mounts. And no, there are tons of flying mounts in the game, flying mounts that can’t fly during most of the expansion. The water strider is even superior to those. Flying is not an unique ability of a mount.

I know when im going up a mountain im glad i have my strider, because its so much better than my other mounts on land terrain

So people want the Water Strider to keep the waterwalking so they can run across bodies of water, then switch to their daze free mount?

As it is right now, you aren’t losing anything if you pick waterwalking as your equipment.

Oh, I think it’s well thought out. They’re trying to remove the water strider without causing a riot. They’ve tried to remove it at least once or twice before during alpha for expansions and got such an uproar over it, they had to back down.

2 Likes

Yes. Thats what people grinded rep for

4 Likes

This would create a scenario where you would be able to for example dismount your water strider, use your anti daze mount, mount the water strider again and not have to spend any money to switch between them. This would completely kill the entire system.

You don’t do much open world content I take it? If not then I agree it’s not much to talk about.

It’s really good in all of the Alliance zones (less so in some locations of the zone where less water is around.) and 2/3 of the Horde zones though it 's still has its use in parts of Vol’dun.

I would not mind this but at the same time don’t think it’s a big deal. I’m just glad I don’t need to use the mount anymore after 8.2

Yes, you are missing something. If you pick water walking as your equipment under the new system, you then cannot get anti-daze. Currently, you can have both water walking and anti-daze. It is an objective nerf to only be able to have one.

4 Likes

Yet, Shamans and DKs can use an ability to run/walk on water. Then the people that actually went out to earn their water strider get nerfed for what reason? Oh, because the others got angry and do not want to earn the water strider, which is very easy to accomplish. Beside that, the water strider looks horrible on land. That is why I use my other mounts on land. Then there is the fact, I only use it when there is more water then there should be.

Blizzard should have never nerfed the water strider for the stupid stuff. They are just doing meaningless stuff to the game.

8 Likes