Water Strider nerf IS bad. Here's why

Lesson learned. Play games for the right reasons. Don’t fall for Blizzard’s carrot on a stick next time and play for fun. Rewards in a video game are meaningless.

It’s like when they put that horrible saddle on the Winterspring Frostsaber years ago (2005), after we had spent some 2-3 weeks earning our mounts, it was added afterwards. Thanks to a LOT of player outcry, the change was reverted.

Water Striders should never be changed, no mounts should be changed. Add new features if we want–fully optional, but never remove anything.

3 Likes

Not in the information I’ve seen presented. The equipment is per character: a character purchases (or receives from an alt) the equipment they want to use, and that ability is applied to all of the mounts for that character. Different characters can have different abilities; different mounts cannot.

Well you dont have to get excited. I’m not excited about it either. I also am not really getting anything out of it.

I dont know where you get the number 5 from unless you are just making assumptions of what buffs they may add later. But I suppose if you want to argue that it’s a loss for people that liked to run on a water strider with the boarding then it’s a valid point. Though Ive always avoided everything I could while on a water strider since getting hit means you have to remount it because damage deactivates the water walking effect.

However if you dont care about that it would make since to just use the daze equipment and water walking potions. Those have existed forever and they arent zone specific so you can use the ones that exist from WOD. They will most likely not put the effort in to remove all those old alchemy recipes. It will have to be reapplied whenever you are hit, same as the strider and the money you used to buy barding would just be used on potions. It will probably be a gold net loss on the tradeoff if you insist on running though mobs, but the option is there.

My main point is that you people are going into hysterics over basically nothing. You are being robbed of nothing.

The number 5 comes from: LW Barding, BS shoes, BS stirrups, DMF potion, Waterwalking potion (or mount), add to that the Golem and the crafted items from tailoring & the number goes up. If they remove all those items & replace them with your choice of ONE item for the mount slot, that is a huge loss.

1 Like

Well lucky for us then that 3 of those 5 arent on the chopping block and as far as we know may never be. Voice your concerns, that’s fair. As of now, no one is losing anything. And I even listed a decent work around for the barding/strider combo.

The hysterics are overblown.

Those two alone, if they nullify their effects, will determine me staying another year + through this expansion. The only way this would change is if they substantially increase the gold intake availability or remove repair costs or both.

1 Like

I like the mount equipment idea. I’d like it much more if Blizzard were treating the Water Strider the way they are the Sky Golem and letting it keep its water walking ability. That would give me increased functionality - I could use the Strider for water walking and put another ability on my other mounts. Again, options are good, Blizzard. Stop trying to railroad me into playing the way you want.

Instead, like so many other changes Blizzard is making these days, I end up losing functionality that I currently enjoy. At least this time I can get that functionality back if I’m willing to spend gold. Instead of having a water walking mount that any level 20 character can use without paying a copper, I have to purchase an item for each character that I want to have the water walking ability.

Feels bad, man.

Blizzard is a master at corrupted wishes. Being able to unlock flying for all characters instead of having to buy it individually for each one seemed like a good thing - until it was implemented and the ability to actually obtain it was delayed longer and longer each expansion. Portal rooms seemed like a good idea - until it was implemented and all other portal rooms were stripped bare. Mount equipment slots seems like a good idea - except that again, I’m having to do something extra to gain functionality that I now enjoy. :frowning:

5 Likes

You have absolute confirmation that only 3 of those items are not on the chopping block? I don’t have confirmation of any of them. I’m not being hysterical. I’m asking questions trying to get confirmation of what is being removed in replace of the new mount slot system. If I find out they are, in fact, removing the above said items, THEN I will get hysterical. You should stop being so melodramatic in your responses & accept that questions are a good thing.

Well you sounded pretty certain of what was going on with your previous posts. And I never said that questions were a bad thing.

Also, the only thing melodramatic is the number of people complaining about this and acting like there is a big conspiracy to make you swim across the river instead of run because added obstacles increase time played which lines their wallets.

I’ll tell you what I believe Blizzards reasoning is for the way this is implemented.

The purpose of this change was to give people more options instead of being “required” to use a mount they may not have liked. They cant make striders like the golem without giving all strider owners an “extra” power. Striders would still have the stauts of “required” because then you could have WW on that mount and use the equipment for one of the other two powers on your other mounts

This change was done specifically for water walking. They added the other options as extras for classes that dont need WW or the fewer people who dont care about it.

The extra mount equipments help keep classes like dk and shaman unique because they can have WW and then use the parachute or anti-daze

There is no mount equipment for picking flowers while mounted so people will still need to use the WW equipment if they want that very popular ability even if they have the golem. If they add harvesting mount equipment I’m 100% sure they would remove the ability from the golem and add a slot on it.

I like the change but I can understand peoples fear about blizz removing barding in the future… if that happened I’d be standing with you… but as of now this is not a nerf.

1 Like

I interpret the language of the equipment slotted boot that the boot applies to one mount not all mounts. So those with a strider get one free boot to apply elsewhere. I say this because blizzard said other boots can be purchased from a vendor for a discounted rate if you have a strider. From what I’m reading people think one boot applies to all mounts. I don’t think that is the case.

it is not bad, you are objectively wrong.

I’m actually happy I will be able to walk on water on mounts I actually like, added to the fact you wont see so many striders.

This is completely ridiculous. So now the water strider won’t walk on water unless you apply the equipment?

Can you send equipment to alts for questing? If it’s not account bound, this is prob the first time a negative change actually impacts my QoL in game enough for me to quit.

So if I’m level 25 and I want a water walking mount there is actually NO AVAILABLE mount for me to use now, whereas before there was. THIS IS INSANE!!!

ok so reading through more and seeing the Warcraft Dev tweet, the items ARE account bound as long as you have one player level 100 or higher? That is better, but I still don’t get this change at all. It’s also called a water strider. It strides…on water. And now it just doesn’t

3 Likes

Are you insane?

Well my title says I am, so yes.

It’s an overpowered ability while questing that the dev’s said before they didn’t like. Idk why people are surprised that they are moving away from it. It was bound to happen.

I’m sorry, it was overpowered for over 7 years? Not buying that at all.

1 Like

Well last time they tried to nerf it like back in wod people lost their heads. Now they are going back to their stance but adding something besides just taking it away. All I’m saying is it had a target on it’s head for along time.