Watched Asmongold abuse layering to bypass 3 hr cooldown

I was watching his stream and they had mind controlled Emberstrife to get him to use an ability to forge the Seal of Ascension. Turns out the dragon’s ability had been recently used by another group and was on a 3 hour cooldown. In vanilla this meant you had to camp there or come back with your party (because you have to weaken the dragon before you MC it, you couldn’t just do it with a solo priest).

Instead, he asks on stream for a layer invite and boom, there’s the dragon, fresh and ready to go.

Split the servers and remove layering now. People are abusing the system for everything from rarer farming to avoiding PvP. I mean you complained that flying ruined world PvP.

When people flew away they had to go somewhere else. At least you won the objective, you denied the the resource. Now they just switch laters and keep doing exactly what they were Doing!

This is worse than war mode. At least you have to go to an inn to turn off war mode.

Abusers can eliminate PvP by layer switchin right where you stand!

Edit:

First, I am not saying Asmon should be banned. I’m just pointing out this breaks the game.

Some ppl said “video or it didn’t happen”.

It was the seal of Ascension quest.

Here it is, go to 9:36:24.

Video title is “ALMOST 60–DOING UBRS–FARMING PRERAID BIS–MOTEL CORE THIS WEEKEND”

“Flames of the black dragonflight 3 hr CD.” That’s where they kill the one that has the CD, then they ask for a layer swap. Then he goes on to call everyone who doesn’t layer abuse a bunch of names.

I personally find his stream entertaining. Believe it or not, you can enjoy an entertainer’s work without agreeing with all of his opinions or actions personally :slight_smile:

You’d never be able to watch anything if you had to 100% approve of everything the entertainers do.

My point is that Blizzard needs to remove layering now, split the servers, merge them later when they’re low pop, allow free xfers from high to low pop, just like we had in vanilla. It worked then without layering, it can work now.

I mean it worked in 2004-2006 when a decent computer had a Pentium 4 with a 130 Passmark score, now we have PCs that exceed 20K Passmark on one socket. WIth 153 times more processing power, we should be able to have what we had 15 years ago…

61 Likes

Layering is a cancer on Classic, and it needs to be removed!

61 Likes

Layering is the only reason we HAVE Classic, no way would Kotick let Blizzard spend the $$$ needed to deploy the numbers of servers they’d need to hold all players without it.

The ‘cancer’ is Blizzard’s lack of any action to prevent and punish layer abuse.

14 Likes

With their cloud gaming infrastructure, I doubt it’s really costing them much if anything extra to spin up servers. The servers aren’t located on one dedicated machine each anymore.

10 Likes

Yeah, getting tired of all the layering abuse.

While we are at it, get rid of the spy addon. It is cancer as well.

15 Likes

He needs to be banned for this clear exploit.

26 Likes

What’s spy addon?

I hear what you are saying in terms of them being cheap, but this is a terribly weak argument, esp. when blizzard uses it.

Proof by counterexample: in 2004 we had vanilla and there was no lAyering. At launch there were queues, nowhere near as insane a what we have seen now.

Things settled down, blizzard opened new realms, allowed free transfers from highly populated to less populated realms. Later servers merged. What I remember is all the fun we had, not queues. We did Xfer servers as a guild from mannoroth to cho’gall because of raid lag, which again was a free xfer. Fixed our issue.

We all played and somehow it DID WORK FINE without layering.

5 Likes

It is an addon that scans the logs for the presence of an enemy faction member. It further coordinates locations with others using the addon to announce zone wide their location.

They don’t have to perform an action to be detected. It also announces stealthed players.

The only downside is it detects people on flight paths, which can cause confusion.

I tried it out and uninstalled, it completely removes the element of surprise and the spirit of wPvP.

3 Likes

Should be banned for exploiting.
Blatant cheating. Caught on stream.
People should report him and Blizzard should do something about it.

15 Likes

I think you are overthinking it, I have yet to see a problem with knowing enemy locations due to this addon.

Cheating? Naw. Exploiting ofc. I think they need to find a fix for this or straight up punish people who are intentionally abusing a in game mechanic.

1 Like

they’re never going to ban a guy who draws so much attention to the game. he’s basically free advertising.

4 Likes

Blizzard doesn’t want to hear that their golden messenger is a cheater.

2 Likes

the classic experience…lmao.

Clearly abusing in-game mechanics for exploitation - and to top it off - abusing in-game mechanics for exploitation while on-stream, you can bet that more than just a few will be following his actions.

For people like asmongold… he doesn’t actually enjoy the game… the guy just desperately wants to be #1 in something, doesn’t matter how or why. If he can get a leg up on the rest of us, he will do it - even if that means he needs to exploit.

7 Likes

Phase 2 can’t come fast enough

4 Likes

Maxx, you have the flair for the dramatics! So much passion…oddly arousing.

1 Like

Thank you; passion is what changes things :wink:

Sucks for now, but layering will be over soon.