Warcraft: Sylvanas spoilers

That is exactly what that means.

6 Likes

it literally isn’t.

You could have a book from a character’s point of view but then tell the story in first, third and yes even second person.

What makes the PoV is if the story is being told using the information accessible to only one character. If the story is jumping from one character to the next in the same chapter by mind reading them to the reader then yeah, THEN it would be omniscient because the reader now has a pov on every character’s inner thoughts.

1 Like

The context was you were comparing the burning of Teldrassil and Purge of Dalaran and the canons thereof, as you pointing out you played them yourself.

1 Like

Ok. If it is from the characters point of view, thats called 1st person. If it is from another characters point of view that is still called 1st person. If it is from the point of view of a limited or omniscient narrator, thats called 3rd person.

In the case of AGW, the book is in 3rd person omniscient perspective. It is only partial omniscience, but the narrator tells us things that any single character could not have known. Specifically, Saurfang could not have known Nathanos’ inner thoughts, or what Sylvanas was thinking when he showed up without Malfurion’s head. Saurfang couldnt have known about the assault on the Alliance ship that he wasnt present for. He cant know about the dialogue between that belf, goblin and Malfurion.

It is not from Saurfang’s perspective.

9 Likes

I’ve had this impression since Cata, on several occasions Genn is shown as a footnote in the grand scheme of Sylvanas plans. He seemed very pesky rather than a major objective for her.

Gilneas wasn’t on her agenda until she was ordered to take it, it all felt like that old time Forsaken pragmatism to me. I think it was first mentioned in EoN when she says Gilneas will be a Horde prize vice a prize for herself.

Having forgotten that Genn was at Stormheim at all is probably what let him ambush her for the lantern.

1 Like

Categorically wrong.
GRRM for example has chapters following characters specifically and he is very specific of who knows what and where.

The events are described in third person.
The dialogue is in first person.
Despite this the chapter is named after the character who’s point of view we are following.

This is very typical.

We follow two characters in this novella Saurfang and the other Orc soldier I forget the name of. We don’t see what is happening in Sylvanas’ head or Nathanos. We only see what Saurfang interpreted from his interaction with them.
If you are saying we are getting direct insight from nathanos himself in the middle of a saurfang chapter then please tell me where. The novella is free and available online. You can quote or tell me where to refer.

Edit: I should add that first person, second person and third person only refers to

First: I or We.
Third: He/She and they
Second: You or your.

Its how the sentences are structured. A character point of view does not necessarily need to be first person.

…I mentioned that pre retcon, the Horde allowed Darnassus to evacuate while Jaina, Vareesa and the Silver Covenant did not allow the Sunreavers to do the same. Then Ren mentioned that the evacuation was only possible because of mages and imagine how horrible it would be if there was no magic or portals. Then I pointed out that the evacuation was part of the horde plan in AGW, so presumably even without mages they would have allowed the nelves another avenue of escape.

Sylvanas’ plan was always to fool the Horde into thinking she wasn’t planning a genocide, not to actually let as many escape as possible. Golden and Roberts probably knew about the Shadowlands plans when they were writing the short stories.

2 Likes

Speaking of forgetfulness. She not only forgot about Genn, I think she forget that she had conquered the Kingdom of Gilneas.

She lost it during the Silverpine questing. It is rather Blizzard that forgets what state Gilneas is in at any given moment.

4 Likes

Yeah, except no one knew about the Shadowlands plans because it hadnt been planned yet (most likely). Golden wrote BtS and when asked in a lore Q&A after SL announcement, Danuser explained that BtS Sylvanas internal monologue didn’t jive with the new narrative because “we weren’t sure what direction we were going to take with Sylvanas yet.” This is in the same expansion. Golden and Roberts had no clue.

1 Like

It was pretty obvious that they hadn’t told Golden about the Jailer when she was writing Before the Storm, though that was before BfA, not Shadowlands. Quite the opposite, much of Roberts’ foreshadowing in A Good War indicates he did know about the Shadowlands plans, and this current book from Golden is a pretty direct follow up to Elegy.

Though obviously the easiest way to find out would to simply try asking Golden on twitter, but I don’t have an account for that. Or any social media for that matter.

The whole point of Silverpine questing was to show Sylvanas victory. After her victory she didn’t really do anything with it but blight it and then abandoned it.

Silverpine’s build up to its climax was the Forsaken getting pushed out of Gilneas and needing to kidnap Crowley’s daughter just to get the Gilneans to stop their advance into Silverpine.

13 Likes

A small amount of Roberts’ foreshadowing suggested that Sylvanas and Nathanos had an alterior motive that was connected but not opposed to the official motivation.

I am sure that the devs were trying to set up Shadowlands… just not the Shadowlands we got. Covenants dont fit. Korthia is covered in Ardenweald trees. Sylvanas surprise reason is because shes super bad and believes in the guy responsible for her torment… but he didnt create the magic that he used to dominate her through arthas… that was the good primus… from the realm that invented necromancy, that looks like its the home of the scourge, cuz it is… but hes the good guy.

This expansion was a mess the whole time, and if Golden and Roberts knew this was the narrative and they just went along with it, shame on them.

Doesn’t sound like anyone was given a choice but to follow along with the story plans or lack there of until the lawsuit came out to show how bad things were.

I’m not sure were Alliance questing takes you but in Forsaken questing the the terms were for an unconditional surrender which signified the end of the battle and a victory for the Horde. That was our climax.

There is no Alliance questing in Silverpine. It is the Horde questing that has Crowley’s daughter declaring to the Forsaken that they have lost Gilneas and to lay down their weapons or die, and one of the Jailer’s Val’kyr having to airlift the Horde player out of the zone.

2 Likes

That wasn’t the climax. The climax was an unconditional surrender.

That is quite literally the last quest.

Edit: It seems you didn’t finish.