War of the Thorns killed the Warcraft franchise

Not to mention finding out that their ancestors aren’t actually available for communing with from the afterlife … :cry:

I thought they fixed it so his health bar went down, after people complained on the PTR? Am I misremembering?

After seeing Warbringers: Sylvanas (on YouTube), I didn’t log in for two weeks. I seriously considered quitting. Only stuck around because I had a raid guild (Alliance side).

I know you feel that way. And you may be right from an Alliance player’s viewpoint. But the unfortunate fact is that the only things that will make Alliance players feel better are going to make Horde players feel worse. Because what you want is to righteously kick our teeth in, with no bad side-effects.

It’s not that I want you to be unhappy, but I don’t want to be unhappy either … :frowning:

6 Likes

You said that you hadn’t played the game for 5 years so you could not have played the War of Thorns which was a one time deal for a few weeks.

I mean, I’ve spoken at length, many times over, my thoughts on the War of Thorns so I won’t write another essay on it, but…

1. Lore was bent to allow it to happen, and many issues were never addressed.
  2. A player faction doing something that overly destructive should never happen.
  3. Guild Wars 2 did it much better, years prior.
14 Likes

That was the OP.

2 Likes

it’s more that they love to use night elves as props and punching bags to demonstrate how big the stakes are.
edit
In cata, most of the books detail night elves getting killed and attacked to propel the alliance into action.
In Legion, Any night elves we really work with are neutral or the main characters act neutral like Malfurion. Nothing pushes the night elf player story forward.
This boils down to a major problem for how they write the Alliance. The Horde initiates and the Alliance reacts. Horde story happens in game while Alliance story appears in the novels.

9 Likes

I don’t know where you heard that. I played all through BfA. I quit during the last patch about a month before Shadowlands launched because I didn’t like what I’d read about it so far, and only came back for Dragonflight.

So I played through the War of Thorns, and stuck out a whole expansion hoping that it would get a resolution commensurate with the effort that went into the setup. Spoiler alert: it didn’t.

2 Likes

I maintain the idea that if they were so deadset on Sylvanas burning down Teldrassil, the Horde should have rebelled the very moment it caught flames with most of them being absolutely appalled by the action the second it happened.

I personally think it should have been Burning of Teldrassil → Immediate Horde rebellion → Sylvanas is taken out and replaced as warchief → New warchief has to deal with the fallout of her insane decision.

I think it would’ve been a lot more interesting because then you have the Alliance who is very justifiably enraged at what the Horde did, but then you have the Horde trying to deal with the consequences of what their leader did, even if most of the people within the Horde were outright against it.

14 Likes

The biggest failure of Blizzard is that they handed over to the alliance a bunch of literal gods in mortal form who could wreck armies on their own. In Lotr even the Valar realized too much power could wrekc middle earth and nerfed the Istari so they would actually just act as counselors and not fighting monsters when they aid the free people against Sauron. But nope Blizzard said screw that and made Jaina, Tyrande and Malfurion a thing. The only way to solve this would be bringing back some strong heroes for the Horde too instead of keep killing our cast for no reason. Yes I am still salty at Blizzard for all of WoD, MoP and Bfa.

1 Like

Only in AvH stories. When it’s an external threat expansion, the Alliance acts and the Horde gets to tag along, if we’re lucky.

Muffins, anyone?

13 Likes

It is more like the alliance acts and the Horde stands useless on the sidewalk waiting for the plot to be over until the faction war story starts and then being forced to be war criminals again. That was literally the takeover between Legion and Bfa.

3 Likes

Chocolate is the best :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Honestly the Burning wouldn’t have even happened without a very different setup.
If the Horde rebelled immediately then the catapults wouldn’t have even fired since it was a primarily kalimdor horde army.

1 Like

it was almost the entire hordy army…the full army would be an numberadvantage of 12 to 1 against the night elves…they had 8 to 1 there, so only every fourth soldier was missing…

The shown army was primarily orc and tauren with some trolls and goblins here and there throughout the questline.
We’ve never really had set OoB for the Horde as a whole so I’m not sure what the 12:1 to 8:1 comparison is drawing from.

from the lorebooks around the entire wot, and we had races of every core faction atleast.

I remember making a topic on the Brazilian forum justifying BFA when it was announced. Initially I thought that Azerite would drive the factions into conflict. I used game theory to justify this, given that the best payoff for any agent in this game would be to consider that the opponent would be seeking this resource.

I even came to the conclusion that we would have a Nash equilibrium in this game based on the terror equilibrium hypothesis.

In which both factions would have Azerite weapons powerful enough to be assured of mutual destruction. Forcing them to come to some kind of enforced peace. If any idiot at Blizzard knew even the slightest bit about war they could have followed this obvious script, and made the expansion completely justifiable.

But we shouldn’t expect too much from a company that forces us on the idea that orcs are capable of pincers in the middle of kaldorei territory, using mountain trails kaldorei haven’t heard of in 1000 years.

2 Likes

If we go by military logic the side with the strongest army would win. And the night elves were totally outnumbered.

We all thought that, and the devs even encouraged it at some point. I think their plans almost certainly changed in between the time the expansion was announced and the time it actually went live.

There was an interesting thread a while ago speculating on possible changes to the story: :point_down:

5 Likes

To be clear the alliance player finds astranaar filled with forsaken rogues.

No the player did not canonically kill civilians.

1 Like

Thought: Why is it acceptable that Elune’s champion was more powerful than Zooval’s when Zooval was getting every soul in the entire multiverse??

Sylvanas remarks that Tyrande is only losing because Elune is withdrawing her power, so she acknowledges that Tyrande is more powerful??

1 Like