[Speculation] Battle for Azeroth: The pre-rewritten story

(Introduction)

As mentioned in the “What went wrong”-thread from Reallyhappy I’m opening up a separate thread talking about my personal speculations. The general premise of this thread is the idea that “Battle for Azeroth” was indeed rewritten at some point in its development cycle. I’m thinking about the timeframe around Blizzcon 2017, where the cinematic was shown to the public alongside the feature-trailer.

Before we dive in deeper and I try to gather some evidence supporting the idea, I want to a give a general idea how the original story was probably supposed to play out. Or at least the beginning and maybe the first few patches.

(General storyline)

Now the idea is that originally it was indeed the Alliance which was the initial aggressor in the war between the factions with the Alliance indeed attacking Lordaeron before anything else happens. The attack on Lordaeron being the initial strike which officially started the war. Now, while you say, “Yeah but that would simply flip it around” it wouldn’t do it much justice. The story of the Alliance in BfA would have been a story about two different roads and perspectives in the future:

One being a militaristic and aggressive approach advocated mainly by people like Greymane, Tyrande, Admiral Rogers etc (but also many other Alliance leaders potentially Turalyon, Muradin, Trollbane and maybe even Shaw), while the other one being a more peaceful and understanding way. Anduin, Velen, and highly likely Moira of all people would be the advocates. (Sounds weird but we get into this.)

Meanwhile the Horde would indeed rally under Sylvanas, after the initial aggressions of the Alliance. Now the Horde would find itself in a defensive war, defending their very way of life and their right to exist in this world.

The Horde storyline can play out in several different ways. If we presume that Shadowlands was already pre-planned, then the storyline would become one where the Horde questions itself if the “any means necessary” approach would be the right one.

Any “any means necessary” would indeed become an important question during the pre-rewrite-storyline (and now we’re getting into the evidence gathering).

(Evidence)

During the datamining of the early BfA-days, we found several strings and even entire maps referring to several warfronts. The Barrens, Azshara and Quel’Thalas. We even had a certain string in the alpha, which would, when typed in, print out these:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/461543895185096725/489860332295159840/thonk.png

These are essentially short descriptions of the warfronts. Other evidence supporting these ideas is music. Even nowadays you can still hear Horde-warfront-music playing in the Southern Barrens.

What we do see from these warfronts however is the fact that all of them play in Horde-territory. Which supports the idea of an hyper-aggressive approach by the Alliance. The description of Quel’Thalas especially is extreme, when it comes to the Alliance. Purging the filth? Not something you’ll find in your usual Alliance questtext. We could argue that the military within the Alliance would have become a “state in a state”, maybe even overruling Anduin and his peaceful ways to launch their offensives.

Another small detail, which supports the idea that the Alliance would have become extremely militaristic during BfA and struggle with its original ideals, and yes it is somewhat fringe but still: The Stormwind Infantry soldiers around the city. While the Horde also got a few soldiers added to the blockade before Orgrimmar, within the city itself nothing else changed. The new Stormwind soldiers meanwhile can be found all other the Valley of Heroes, the harbor and even the castle.

Let’s also take a look at the BfA-cinematic. The only reason why we even have this cinematic was probably because it was already finished, by the time Blizzcon came up and before the rewriting started. As such it was pushed out to the public. Even though it doesn’t reflect the actual situation. The ingame events to not line up at all with the cinematic (especially when compared to Legion. When we find Varian at the Broken Shore he has indeed no longer his shoulder pads for example and you can even find his dropped amulet).

Outside of this is Greymane. “Close ranks! Advance as one!” sounds like your typical Alliance orders, but, “Lordaeron will be ours! My king…we have her cornered.” It does not sound like the Alliance is here for justice for Teldrassil. It sounds like they are here to conquer Lordaeron, while also hunting a dangerous animal.

Supporting this is a statement before release. I don’t have the exact quote at hand right now, but it was essentially that Anduin wants to prove himself by attacking Lordaeron. In the current iteration, there’s literally no reason for Anduin to prove himself, because everyone will agree that trying to kill Sylvanas after she had send a few thousand souls into the shadowrealm is a pretty neat idea.

However: If the militarists started to gain power in Stormwind and the Alliance, then obviously Anduin would try to impress and prove himself to them. All the while trying to live up to the legacy of his father. (A small detail in the cinematic is Anduins facial expression throughout the battle. He looks extremely distressed when Saurfang knocks him out, he lashes out in anger when Genn is sapped. And when he sees the wounded and dying soldiers around him, he only see the brutal reality of war. It fits the idea that he wants to prove himself, but in reality he really, really does not want to be there. But, he has to because he ordered the attack and he is the king.)

Now we can go back even further and find more evidence to support the idea, that it was originally indeed the Alliance which would make the first move.

Legion. Who shoot first in Stormheim? Who striked first in Silithus (before the book-retcon)? Both times it was the Alliance, who uncharacteristically made a pro-active-move against the Horde.

(Summary)

So to summarize: The original storyline of BfA would have been a storyline about Alliance aggression, and about the ideals of the Alliance as it stood on a crossroad: Militarism or pacifism? The Horde meanwhile would struggle with the very same thing. Is “any means necessary” a valid ideal in order to survive? Don’t we become the very same thing we tried to avoid (the Old Horde/Servants of the Burning Legion)? Do we value our honor higher even if it would cost our lives?

“Battle for Azeroth” would have indeed been a battle: A battle about the very idenity of what it means to be Horde or Alliance.

Alas this is speculation or maybe a bit of wishful thinking. I don’t know why Battle for Azeroth became a rehash of MoP, and I doubt that anyone of the story writers at Blizzard is really 100% happy about this development. Because we cannot deny that, while the lore might not always have been top-notch, each expansion was different. We always have some basic themes (especially against neutral threats), but overall each expansion was unique. Only BfA was a complete rehash, with some tacked on Old God stuff.

43 Likes

lol they never found maps for those warfronts at best there was a siege of org map that was called warfront barrens but that was it and it was the same map from mop and lost those single lines of text blizzard admitted to added those to troll players so they wouldn’t guess that darkshore was next warfronts btw which they announced a week later after the text was found

So lol there was never any major rewrite the biggest thing they changed to the story was adding a loyalist option which they never meant to add

Also one last thing blizzard literally said on the literal day they revealed bfa that the horde burned teld first so I don’t see where you get alliance aggression when it’s was always meant to be the event that started the war

5 Likes

I call that a bit of a bite, we even know that the BFA plot was originally intended to be drawn differently, there was no Teldrasil burning planned, the original BFA plot was very different, we don’t know what, but in the end I think it was thought differently by the developers

4 Likes

this could’ve been so much better…

3 Likes

Funny thing about that. If Teldrasil had not been burned and BFA continued as it has minus the War of Thorns, there would have been nothing in BFA anyone would honestly remember as a stand out moment from this expansion. BFA is so forgettable the only major thing people remember is Teldrasil burning.

18 Likes

Yea, and that part is by far the worst because people were just expected to ignore it and forget about it on both factions

6 Likes

Don’t worry. The writing team promises you guys are going to get closure in regards to the whole War of Thorns in Shadowlands, no really. You might even get a full on CGI cinematic this time.

1 Like

Actually they kinda said that Shadowlands isn’t the right time to deal with that so maaaybe in the future

Also you’d laugh if you knew what happens to Tyrande right at the start of SL.

I’m really surprised nothing happened in Quel’thalas though, that place is just ripe with plots.
I predicted a whole patch of Quel’thalas.

You’ve got your night elf bases, you’ve got your Zandalari in the Horde now, you’ve got elves that hate trolls and blood elves and void elves.
You’ve got forces of nature no longer friendly with blood elves like that one ancient near the Ghostlands and the tenders all went crazy with rampant magic. They could be harnessed by Night Elves. Plus it has ties to Sylvanas.

I can think of enough questlines to fill a new zone off the top of my head.

11 Likes

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/461543895185096725/489860332295159840/thonk.png

Most of these make no sense since the zandalari threat prevents the alliance from attacking Kalimdor this early and Fandral’s views weren’t shared by Tyrande or Anduin.

2 Likes

Well, I suppose it is a good thing you Nelves live a long time then. It might be a while if that is the case.

1 Like

It could very well have been its own patch, if Blizzard had committed to the faction war storyline. It seems to me, however, that they were looking for the EMERGENCY ABORT button to the faction war even as far back as 8.1, and wrapped everything up as quickly as they possibly could.

In any case, if I don’t agree with every single one of the OP’s conclusions, I agree with the underlying premise. I think the BfA that was originally planned and the BfA that we got are two entirely different stories - and both the game and the playerbase are far worse off for the fact that they pulled this switcheroo at the last minute.

32 Likes

Not sure what you mean by this–can you expand on how you envision this? I can see hints of the militaristic Alliance story still in the game, but I don’t really see traces of this idea.

There was a flooded map of Mulgore. It was written off as a mistake at the time, but now I wonder. Jaina, perhaps?? Could that be what Rexxar was supposed to be referencing? Could that be what Jaina was originally preparing for in her Warbringers short?

Speaking of Warbringers, that might allow us to pin down when the rewrites started, assuming there were rewrites. Christie Golden has said they (the Warbringers shorts) were already in some stage of development when she joined Blizzard in May 2017, although we don’t know how far along they were. Chris Metzen said that the BfA opening cinematic was the last thing he worked on, and he left in September 2016.

Also, Sylvanas’s opening line about “paying the price for sharing this world” makes no sense in the context of a retaliatory attack by the Alliance.

I can give you the source for that. It was from a fan translation of a Korean interview:

Q. So Sylvanas is the bad guy, Anduin is the good guy? Horde is Evil, Alliance is good? What is different Sylvanas from Garrosh?

A. This is our mistake, but we have to first release the story of Teldrassil and Lordearon in order to gain the game’s popularity and this helped make Sylvanas and the Horde “Evil”. Three animations will be revealed before Battle for Azeroth. We’ll cover a variety of people here. For instance, Jaina may have an abnormal side of her. You’ll see the good side of the Horde. Nor will Anduin’s Lordaeron’s attacks be done for justice. Frankly, it is meant to show the king’s dignity. The head of the state does not represent the camp.

(Source for the quote: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2390689-Interview-with-Blizzard-about-Horde-Alliance-and-Good-vs-Evil)

By the way, this also makes me wonder if the three Warbringers videos were meant to focus on different characters originally. Jaina’s is likely unchanged, but could the other two have featured glimpses of what was going on inside the Alliance and Horde?

One other piece of circumstantial evidence: An April 2018 interview with Travis Day and Jimmy Lo in which they were asked point-blank if they ever considered having the Alliance attack first and they dodged the question.

Source for that interview:
https://blizzardwatch.com/2018/04/05/wow-developer-qa-travis-day-jimmy-lo/

4 Likes

I liked WoD more than I liked BFA.

31 Likes

I mean, when you get down to it, even if the WoD story was bleh and the content was lacking, it at the very least didn’t make you feel like a bad person for playing the video game.

47 Likes

You mean the WoD story? And I 100% agree.

3 Likes

You didn’t see that, nothing happened.

10 Likes

I think, this is unlikely, because Blizzard is fundamentally INCAPABLE of writing the Horde on the defensive or on the back foot or writing the Alliance as having a competent military. Instead I think we have to accept that Sylvannas and her perfectly laid plans is Ion Hozzakostas idea of nuance and shades of grey and just simply accept that the Horde can never actually be written as Under dogs in any real sense of the term and the Alliance can never be competent or capable.

3 Likes

I still feel like N’Zoth played a bigger role at some point. We see several times that his main power is manipulating people’s perception.

What’s interesting about that is situations like Astranaar. Where, as a Horde player, you control how many - if any - civilain casualties there are. But on the Alliance you’re shown Deathstalkers indiscriminately killing civilians.

Both of these events couldn’t have happened. These are two drastically different versions of the same story beat. So it seems to me they were setting something up with N’Zoth.

I feel like in an initial draft somewhere Sargeras’s sword freed him, and he immediately began manipulating the Alliance and Horde into a brutal war to weaken them and pave the way for his Black Empire’s return.

He talks to the player as if they’ve secretly been serving him the whole time. But at best you accidentally did him a few solids in 8.2.

As it stands though he feels almost out of place. Half of BFA was this war story that turned out to be nothing but a SL prequel, and the other half was an unrelated Old God fight. It really does seem to me these had to have been connected at some point.

20 Likes

I had forgotten about that Blizzardwatch 2018 interview. Re-reading it now is just painful.

Is the Horde with Sylvanas or not will be up for debate! No, it wasn’t. Lor’themar told us that she had the people with her.

How much is the Alliance attack about Anduin proving his manhood will be up for debate? No, it won’t. That literally was never mentioned or referenced or even hinted at in the game.

This is like MoP when someone asked Kosak what the Alliance story of MoP was, and he said that it was about the Alliance having to come together. And then everyone pointed out that Blizz had never shown the Alliance as being apart in the game, so why did they need a story about coming together?

[Sigh] I swear sometimes I think that there is a fabulous story in their heads for these xpacs, and they look at the game through that prism without realizing that the rest of us aren’t privy to what is in their heads.

19 Likes