Void elves can look like blood elves but not vise versa

Male banshees are actually a thing

Banshees/Spectres are created when a necromancer draws the spirit out of an elf (elves are chosen due to their latent magical talent) and tortures it, so that when it’s finished it can only communicate by screeching its anguish and torment at the living.

And talk normally when they get clicked don but don’t think about that too much.

Actually as of Legion the males too.

They retconned it.

Plenty around otherwise.

Dictionaries can assist with that.

Many online ones can even tell you common usage in real time.

Sounds like your issue is kids who are newer to it.

Let them learn and if you don’t want to participate that’s fine too… Just RP out of it.

You sound vaguely elitist (in RP terms) here to me.

They’ve been canon as of cata, and despite several people’s claim to the contrary there is no lore source that indicates high elven (or blood) skintones specifically in their past.

I’m left with the only option being that these new tones, retcon or otherwise, have always been and are just only now playable.

Fun fact: a male banshee is called a spectre.

1 Like

You get my last like.

Also, so you’re right. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I would like to point out, that a spectre is not a banshee and a banshee is not a spectre.

Banshees are indeed females, and spectres are indeed males.

Yup, it just hints a lot to someone being personally around Sylvanas, atleast personally known. Arthas is also more likely to have raised the rangers who went with Sylvanas against him, as it was more of a punishment he thought of right in the moment.

He did not just raise banshees willy nilly in Quel’thalas.

Oh no, I have no problem with new roleplayers, at all.

That is your fault for that assumption.

Some negative connotations and real life stereotypes if we want to play that tangent.
No dark-skinned High Elf have ever risen to a prominent role, have never made themselves known. Guess they lived in ghetto’thalas, segregrated from everyone else :upside_down_face: obviously a joke.

I am all for retcons, but I also personally do not believe in the “dark-skinned High Elves have always been a thing”. But overall I am indifferent to it.

I also remember some described dark-skinned High Elf in some book, that one where Thrall went to different timelines and stuff.

According to the Legion Blizzcon panel they’re the “male counterparts” to banshees.

2 Likes

A spectre, in paranormal context, is much similar to a banshee in that it is of a specific gender, in this case male. (Not entirely correct here, spectre is used to refer to ghosts overall)

Banshees are females, spectres are males, that is pretty much correct.

Counterpart basically means that it corresponds to or has the same function. Which is not incorrect when talking spectres and banshees.

In wow’s context… they’re the same thing.

Thats not really an issue though…

I mean… I don’t know how you played WCIII and its expansion as the Undead but… I remember plenty of Banshees. :stuck_out_tongue:

The apprentice to one of the Magisters of the Kirin Tor isn’t prominent?

Cause thats the lore source I mentioned from Cata’s position.

If you’re all for retcons you kinda have to believe…

1 Like

Except spectres are male and banshees are females.
But they have the same function, yes… to be punching bags.

As quickly as possible!

Seems rather vague. I don’t remember Kirin’tor having ‘magisters’ as a ranking. Usually associated with Quel’thalas.

I am more on the side that retcons have to be accepted, I do often question the retcons.

They refer to the ranking as Archmage. The one in question was a dragon in humanoid(I think an elf) form. His apprentice was dark skinned.

That doesn’t make any sense.

The Lore is what it is. If its retconned that is what it is.

You can’t just pretend away the Draenei for example…

Kalecgos had an apprentice?

Yup.

I still question why we would need the retcon, why it exists. In most cases, retcons exist because blizzard’s lore team simply forgot lore, as far as I am concerned.

Lore is not supposed to tie hands… or whatever the specific quote was. But that is of course, a very understandable position to take when your team is incapable of writing a coherent story.

Darn, wanted to tie some hands but I’ve been foiled.

Maybe in some cases, but certainly not most. Often they’re done because the new ideas they have are better than the original and so they have to tweak things to make it better. Also, some people think that learning new information is a retcon when in reality it isn’t.

3 Likes

You stop that!

Well, depending on which definition of ‘retcon’ we use, retcon is indeed learning new information. Regardless, it puts how not-so-serious about their store the team is, and why it can seem so incredibly inconsistent and non-coherent. They do not have a larger plan, while the A-B can be tweaked, the end results should stick and remain, but it seems blizzard lore-team flipflops between what they want and it results in a mess.

And many times it is just some random character stroking, get them off and make another character do a 180 turn because of miracle juice.

It is what is happening to Jaina, Vereesa and Sylvanas.

Granted, I never were fond of Vereesa - a character created to be the romantic partner of a self-insert, because everyone loves elves.

The manshee thing is such a weird hill to die on.

3 Likes

I am actually furious they’re not called that now.

3 Likes

Not even sure why it became a thing.
Spectres have always been in the game, and have always been male since classic.
They just had a model upgrade like so many other in recent expansion.

They are not ‘male banshees’ banshees are female exclusive.

Spectres were introduced in Legion, you’re thinking of shades or wraiths.

Blizzard literally refer to them in-house as “manshees”. They described them at BlizzCon as banshees’ male counterparts. There are mobs that spawn as male or female as banshees or spectres. They have the same powers and a number of them use scream based attacks.

They are male banshees.

2 Likes

https://classicdb.ch/?npc=11473

I am almost certain there were more.

There are no male banshees.

I just thought it was a mob title used by the developers to get a certain description across without having any extra exposition.

Also that Sylvanas and her banshees were called so not because every undead elf becomes a banshee, but that was the form in which they were raised specifically.

That is a wraith.

3 Likes