Void Elves are still Void Elves

I think the void proc will be more noticeabe with lighter skin tones, just as it’s quite noticeable on Alleria. If you stay in the cities and don’t do much combat, though, it’s not likely to matter much.

1 Like

Well, rping., especially in this kind of setting (as opposed to table top or forum) is always going to need a bit more suspension of disbelief. It’s just not as open to individual customization as other mediums.

So… Wildhammer Dwarves and Forest Trolls are still unplayable you’re saying?

1 Like

wildhammer dwarves and forest trolls don’t have to worry about going “void” or is infused with currupting magic. It’s easier to RP them using a Void elf to RP a high elf, or to feel like your playing a high vs void elf in gameplay.

I’ve never rp’d in combat.

When I’m smashing Mythic 15’s I’m not particularly concerned about remaining in character.

1 Like

True for Umbric’s disciples, which number a couple dozen at most.

The void elf unlock quest line is much more about Alleria than Umbric, though. Both Alleria and the player character go through lots of training to control the void. As a result of this more structured approach, Alleria handles her void infusion event much better than Umbric later does, and presumably the player character handles it better, too.

The high elves and blood elves joining the void elf ranks in Telogrus are similarly going through a structured training regime, designed by Alleria, so there’s every reason to believe that they should end up looking like Alleria as well - with their normal high elf or blood elf coloration most of the time, and turning blue only when they have a void outbreak, which is represented by their racial proc. Given the number of void elves out there, the void elves trained through this training regime have to outnumber Umbric and his disciples overwhelmingly.

That means it’s Umbric and his disciples that are the outliers, not Alleria. And frankly, I don’t think there’s anything in the quest line or the cinematics that suggest Umbric should end up blue full time, either. Umbric’s blue coloration in game came, well, out of the blue, and while it’s by now an established part of void elf lore, it should be considered a variant and not the norm for them.

Because it makes them look more like Alleria, who is the first void elf. Alleria is a high elf, too, but only in the sense that all void elves and blood elves are also high elves.

I don’t think so. I think they’re just adding void elf customizations that, according to the void elf lore, should have been there all along. As I mentioned above, I think Blizzard is saving an actual high elf race for an expansion in which they can play a much bigger part.

I would hope so. but until then I can ask for my multi race actual army of the light in the mean time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: as a way to help those that want elf paladins.

To be honest, after Legion, lightforged for all races makes way more sense than death knights for all races.

Can’t keep an army without recruiting, and what happened to the rest of turalyon’s army after BC from the ruins we see in netherstorm? If turalyon lived then surely others did!

Alleria’s a void elf, so void elves should be able to look like Alleria. Given you seem to think Alleria looks like a high elf, that should satisfy you too?

I don’t see why. When Alleria’s racial procs, she definitely looks voidy and blue.

Since from a void elf perspective, looking like Alleria is just looking like a void elf, I don’t see why they need to be listed differently. Paladin was discussed upthread; current lore says Alleria’s void is somewhat incompatible with Turalyon’s light, even if it can be used in a complementary way.

Why do you think high elves would necessarily have paladins as a class? Blood elves have blood knight paladins, but they got those after they split off from high elves.

1 Like

It’s not as simple as that, customization options shouldn’t just appear, “just because”, they have to at the very least be eluded to.

Void Elves don’t have a way to “cure” their Void infusion, so there’s no reason they should get “Alleria” options from a story point of view.

What is eluded to is Alliance High Elves studying the Void in telogrus rift, and that being the most likely reason as to why Void Elves would receive “non-void” options.

They can be Paladins, so why not?

There’s a High Elf paladin trainer in Dalaran.

High Elf priests supposedly study the same “Light” that humans and dwarfs do, that’s one stones throw away from Paladin.

Alleria got a void infusion but looks normal most of the time. Alleria’s story is the story presented in the unlock quest line. There’s every reason to believe that Alleria is a more normal void elf than Umbric is.

I’m using lore to base my logical conclusions. You instead are using game mechanics to dismiss logical conclusions (the fact that you can create hundreds of blue-skinned Void Elves does not mean they really exist - your characters are not canon). It’s really not the same. As per current lore, there are no new Void Elves. The only ones were 1) Alleria and 2) those Blood Elves exiled who were transformed by the Void ritual. No more.

If we are now getting normal-skinned elves, there is no other possible explanation than new elves who are experimenting with the Void and want to join the Void Elves (again, like Alleria). I would find it very strange Void Elves wanted to replicate the transformation ritual, considering that’s something they didn’t want to experience in the first place.

2 Likes

the mana addiction trait is based on the highborn, both blood and high elf suffer from this addiction, that is stated after the restoration of the sunwell.

“alliance high elves” are not other race, therefore, their racials would be the same

Alleria’s 1000 years of controlling the void training is not the same as our canon, accidental Void-infused, blood elves who call themselves Void Elves, this is why I said that Alleria is a different type of Void elf, the ones that we as players canonically play, are not under the same circumstances as Alleria was, we did not absorb and control a Dark naaru, we were created in a Ethereal Void-experiment.

As per the recruitment scenario, our Void elves not only cannot cure our Void infusion, we cannot recreate it, so one is to logically conclude that any “regular skin tone” options is very clearly the other elves who are not void infused in Telogrus rift.

Ergo: High Elves.

2 Likes

There’s no canon about what type of void elf player characters are. There is canon saying only Umbric and his disciples were involved with the void explosion, so that can’t account for more than a couple dozen void elves at most - clearly not enough to account for all player character void elves.

Nor did Alleria have 1000 years of void training, let alone 1000 years of controlling any void training; she trained briefly with Locus Walker 500 years ago, then resumed it in Legion with the Alliance player character.

If by “void infusion” you mean the explosion that caught Umbric and his crew, I agree that is a unique circumstance, which may or may not be relevant to player character void elves. However, Alleria is at least as much void infused as Umbric and his crew; she just had enough training to control it during the battle with Lura, with the help of her Alliance player character companion.

I do agree that the Telogrus trainees - some of which may be high elves, but most of which seem to be blood elves - are likely to become light skinned void elves at the end of their training, though Blizzard has the option to fill in some additional lore here. That would indicate their training parallels Alleria’s, though perhaps they eat something less than a Naaru at the end. They’re still going to have void elf racials, though, which we know is different from their former racials in the case of the blood elves, so they’re still void elves.

If you mean you’d like to extract a high elf from the training process before it finishes training and becomes a void elf, I guess you can roleplay that if you want, but I wouldn’t expect Blizzard to support it with mechanics. If Blizzard wants to support mechanically separate high elves, they might as well create an entirely new race for them.

1 Like

I’m under the impression that you can still start in Dun Morogh if you want to, and that’s a weird starting point for a Wildhammer.

It’s an apt comparison because if you’re playing your Dwarf as a Wildhammer, you don’t have a choice to start in Aerie Peak even the Hinterlands. You don’t get a tailored Wildhammer experience equivalent ot the one in Dun Morogh.

It’s a bit different because the mouseover just says “dwarf”, though, not “void dwarf”.

I stopped right there, because that is all Void Elves as of the recruitment scenario, any other Void Elves before the customization options are released in shadowlands that would have “non-void” options, are your own head canon.

The Void elves that us as players make, are those same Void Elves unique to the ethereals void-experiment. Period.

So, what should we call Alleria? A high elf with void powers? Shadowlands might make Void Elves more of a variant of elves, rather than a subspecies and whole department of blood elves.

Sorry, I don’t have the specific words.