Void Elf-High Elf Customization Thread

That one and the fourth style, the one with the curled style, which would also be a great hairstyle for Void Elves, the closest in game being one of the female Kul Tiran hairstyles.

Imgur

2 Likes

Yep I completely agree I like those 2 the most, especially the last one (the 4th) with the curls. I’d say closest hairstyle is probably that curly one the Draenei have which I wouldn’t mind seeing on Void elves too. I’m just unsure how Blizz could implement such a complicated haircolor in-game tho. I see 4 colours in there lol - dark blue, purple, blonde and ice blue.

2 Likes

I believe you’re referring to this hairstyle?

It’s a lovely style and I’d certainly welcome it for Void Elves.

This was the KT style I was referring to that is also fairly similar.

As for the amount of colors in the one picture, I’d imagine they’d keep the amount of colors limited to two per in game hair color, possibly three if they added starcursed highlights as their own option. We at least have in game precedent for two toned hair via the Darkspear.

4 Likes

Don’t forget Dark Iron dwarves and Humans, they too have some 2-tone hair colours in their arsenal! Especially the DID I believe can be a great prescedent to similar Void elf colours! Just instead of maybe the firey orange at the bottom they can have glowing light purple!

5 Likes

So this https://imgur.com/a/tP3F1tp can easily be made available for Velfs, since the bottom half has a glowing orange that looks like the eyes of N’zoth.

This is a Stark White with an unnatural glowing blonde in the lower half https://imgur.com/a/bzpQeNU. To be perfectly honest with you even if this was the only light colour copied over from DID to Void elves I would be the happiest girl in town :hugs: I wouldn’t need anything else.

3 Likes

Oh, they most definitely could do a similar effect for Void Elves, be it starcursed streaks or ombre and such. Iirc the fire options for DIDs are a toggle separate to the actual hair, which would likely work similarly for Void Elves. I could also see a separate two tone toggle where when checked off you get to choose the main color and secondary colors.

4 Likes

Certainly a nice concept. But it might be better not to overcomplicate things. DID actually don’t have a fire effect toggle for their hair, it’s there for all their colours and hairstyles, but it would certainly be appreciated if Blizz wanted to add a colour toggle option :slight_smile:

I think the DID colours are a great answer to our Void elf woes, and I’m beating myself up that I didn’t think of them being a real possibility much earlier! The black and white colours can be copied from DID onto Void Elves along with their fire effect, and we’ll have 2 perfectly fitting Void elf colours with very little effort.

4 Likes

Honestly though, I would also like to see a mixture of also non-void looking hair styles of with a mixture of colours to pick from too, such as White, Blonde, Orange, Red, Brown and Black. And if Blizzard is too lazy to give us more unique hair styles, then maybe copy and paste the hair styles from some of the Alliance races such as Human, Gnomes, Dwarves, Night Elf and Draenei.

But honestly, I just can’t wait to see what the future holds in terms of more customisations, especially for all the AR’s.

3 Likes

While the DID fiery hair effect it isn’t a toggle right now, from what I understand about how the textures work for DID hair (the fiery effect is its own separate texture), I believe it could be made into a toggle with very little effort.

The same concept could work for Void Elves getting some sort of void effect on their hair, or Nightborne getting arcane effects for their hair (and hands!).

8 Likes

:heart: toggleable options are the best options :smiley:

4 Likes

But they did eventually get updated, so it really isn’t an issue. I’d even say that Alliance got better customizations over the Horde this expansion. The solution isn’t giving the Alliance Blood elves, it’s increasing the quality of the already existing Alliance races.

Night elves and Humans customizations were overwhelmingly positively received. They not only got high-quality options, they got more than any other race in the game. This is not very debatable at all. Orcs got their hunch removed, and some accessories, which were already available for maghar.

No one is saying they can’t add more customization in the next wave, but that doesnt mean making the Void elves look more like Blood elves, regardless of what new customizations Blood elves might get. Different hairstyles or accessories aren’t defining visual racial themes. Notice how despite blue eyes and fair skin, they still maintained the void hair? This was intentional, as it was always the justification given to the players for literally ripping the model from the enemy faction.

The Blood elf visual theme is already established, it’s what originally drew everyone to the race in the first place, saying that they must now alter/change their visual aesthetic as a way to justify sharing it with the Void elves is not the solution. Add new things is all fun and nice, but their core visual theme should always remain exclusive to them. I would all be for new options if the void theme remained present on their model in some aspect beyond a proc, but that visual distinction must remain.

Every race has a unique, visual dynamic that can only be found with them, it’s the entire purpose of selecting a race when you make a character. The moment you start stripping a race of everything that made it unique is just cheapening it. And players reasonable against this.

Irrelevant. You can’t tell the players not to worry about having their model essentially stolen because they will still look visually different, then a couple years down the road make them look identical anyways and say “I said that years ago!” That’s not how it works.

The things Ion listed shows that when they think of what visually defines blood elves, those are the physical themes that come to mind. The fact that the only one that has remained is the Blond hair is not coincidental, as they could have easily just added a color swap for their existing hairs, and yet deliberately decided against it.

They can, and they likely probably will. Regardless of whatever new customization they get, it doesn’t change their core visual thematic, and it never will. Blood elves are a core race, they are meant to be a the blank template, Void elves are an allied race who’s whose existence revolves their association with the void.

Not in-line with the Blood elves at all, who’ve essentially become a light-loving race, complete with a holy/arcane Sunwell. Darkfallen and San’layn would make no sense.

4 Likes

Btw I think it was you who asked before, but Archmage Omniara is another Blood elf who uses High elf voice lines.

2 Likes

I don’t remember asking about that. It may have been another poster. But I am also old and my memory fails me more often than I’d like to admit… >_>

Believe this was a discussion once before, where you asked me for a list of Blood elves and high elves using each others voice lines. I said I would update you the next time I ran into one lol

1 Like

Ah that does sound familiar! Well thanks for the update! :smiley:

Now, I agree with this, but what you say right after this isn’t so great I think.

I know tons of people like to point at orcs as being the golden standard of customization, but I think they’re one of, if not the best example of quantity over quality. I won’t at all deny that orcs have it a lot better than many other races, nor will I deny that orcs have gotten some good stuff. However, with that said, let’s look at the things orcs got.

• Upright posture. I won’t deny this gives orcs a big leg up over other hunched races, but the upright posture back when it was originally released, was, well, lacking in quality, particularly with the running animation. And while most of that has been fixed over time, the shoulders on upright orcs are still floating, and despite the fact that orcs have been complaining about this for quite a while, nothing has been done over it. There’s also issues with hair and facial hair clipping.
  • War paint. Only four styles, which wouldn’t be too bad, if it weren’t for the fact that the four colors we got with them are shall we say, not so great. The white is good, the red can work on some occasions, but I’ve never met someone who likes either the blue, or especially the yellow. If this was just a start, it wouldn’t be too bad, but seeing as no customization is planned for the future, the war paint department for orcs is really not that great.
  • Tattoos. The only bad thing I and everyone else I’ve seen talk about them has to say about the tattoos, is that they can be low res at times. Aside from that, the only ‘bad’ thing would be limited styles and no separation between facial and body styles. Overall, I’d say tattoos are decent.
  • Jewelry. Now this is a really small thing, but honestly, I don’t have anything bad to say about it. The biggest qualm I have is that we don’t have tusk rings like Grom does, and it’s a common misconception we do, because most people confuse what do have, which is tusk bands, as being tusk rings.
  • Faces. This is a long and large request by orcs, and even non-orcs, that male orcs don’t have any normal looking faces. They’re all cracked and wrinkled, which them look perpetually old and angry, and there’s no eyebrows, which leads to them looking incomplete. This problem didn’t even get the slightest addressing in SLs customization. It’s also not an orc unique problem, there’s other races like Darkspear and nightborne which suffer from the same problem.
  • Hairstyles. Another long and large request by orcs, to have male hairstyles which don’t have receeding hairlines. This, also like faces, is not an orc unique problem. Orcs did get one hairstlye in SLs which helps with this, but it’s only a single hairstyle. Still lacking in this department.
  • Skin tones. My biggest qualm. Easily one of the largest requests by orcs during the SLs customization phase, was to let player character orcs finally use the pre-existing, lore accurate, MU Blackrock and Dragonmaw skin tones. The Blackrock skin tones should’ve been enabled in Classic, and Dragonmaw tones in Cataclysm. However, despite being highly requested, lore accurate, pre-existing assets, and despite the fact that Blizzard updated the unique glowing eyes used by the Dragonmaw, meaning they were aware of at least the Dragonmaw’s existence and the fact that players couldn’t use them, they did not enable any of said assets. Instead, they gave us 3 random new skin tones that basically no one ever asked for. I won’t complain about new options, especially since I do quite like the pale tone they added (my shaman here uses it), but the fact they added those, without adding the Dragonmaw and Blackrock skin tones, is completely beyond me, and I’m never not going to be salty about, especially given the no new customization plans. And before some nerd comes and tries to tell me that Blackrock are playable on Mag’har, and that Dragonmaw don’t make sense, I’ll point out the corrupted Blackrock look different to the Mag’har Blackrock (take Eitrigg as your prime example), and that there are still Dragonmaw who are a part of the Horde, most notably Gorfax Angerfang, who appeared at the Legion prestige 2 ceremony for Horde. Also, while Mag’har can cosplay MU Dragonmaw decently well, it’s still not exact, and Mag’har can’t be warlocks.

:wine_glass:

Your friends are a bunch of nerds

4 Likes

YES PLEASE!!!

2 Likes

And for the Void Elf guys- the beards should glow with void colors-it would be great for the void elves to get a long or braided beard option with ornaments.

5 Likes

I’m going to stop you right there.

This ship has already sailed. There was a quote from Ely, which I shouldn’t really need to post again, who states that they wanted to give these customisations, not only to the Void Elves, but to also the Blood Elves, to allow everyone to play the High Elven fantasy, regardless of the faction we play on. In the end, they are customisations though. At the end of the day, it is still a Void or Blood Elf.

I mean, it seems to be that only the Anti’s here that seem to act like it has to be all about visual distinction. If Blizzard did care about visual distinction, we wouldn’t off received Void Elves in the first place, or gotten some High Elven customisations for Void Elves.

2 Likes

Hey, I agree. If you check the couple posts above me and Hypheria made some pretty cool, unique suggestions for hair colors. Like a Lavender fading to a very pale blonde, or very dark blue on the roots with blonde. Then we both concluded that the fire effect on DID would look really great on Void elves. There can even be a variation of it for Void elves with a lavender glow effect on the lower half perhaps.

Issue is humans got so many eyebrow options where many of them look quite bad in my own opinion (some might disagree). They’re just making the numbers of customization grow alot on humans without actually adding anything significant. Orcs look really nice now though.

Well, they have not got their actual customization pass yet though. I think the intention there was to think carefully over what hair colors Void elves can get that will maintain some differentiation among them and Belfs, but ofcourse that does not mean they do not want to give us any new hair colours at all.

Well, I would certainly use Voidy tattoos on my character if we got those, and N’zoth style eyes. That provides some differentiation to an extent. And then there is the hair. I would like differentiation there too, but in the notion that it will be a different colour shade than what Belfs have, but can be a light colour shade. And then they can add an effect to it, just like they did for DID. Like glowing orange (N’zoth’s eye color), or glowing light purple at the lower half.

Ok - but the Void can manifest in a couple of colours, ranging from dark blue, to light (almost white) purple and pink (check the Void lords and the Voidlings in Telogrus). I don’t mind Void elves maintaining their core visual theme, but it has to be different shades than those we already have, including some light shades. At least that’s what I’m trying to advocate for, and why I’m here.

Ok but obviously you are not speaking for everyone there right? What about blood magic? I remember I read some posts from Ariel stating this is one of the directions they can head towards as one of their themes in the future.

4 Likes