Viscidus - AQ40 Legacy Solo Issues

So, Viscidus has always been a hit or miss fight for some classes(some have no issue at all) but trying him for the first time in BFA I can say that the fight has grown substantially harder.

It leaves me to ask, with the fact that Razorgore was made far, far, FAR more accessible why is Viscidus still this frustrating and not solo friendly for many classes/specs? Personally as a Paladin I don’t think I can solo this fight anymore without very specific items thanks to the reduction of power of secondary stats in BFA, Weapon Normalization, and the loss of a Prot talent that let us spam Hammer of the Righteous.

It would be awesome if, like how Razorgore was reviewed and changed to be more solo accessible, if Viscidus could be reviewed with how tight the Shatter Phase is.

6 Likes

Frost mage here commenting on the ridiculousness of the situation.

Can’t take down Viscidus. Just sayin’

4 Likes

Moonkin here I can solo but it takes me like 10 minutes of poking at it with a fork that procs freezing spell before I can kill it. All other AQ40 bosses usually dies in 10 seconds or less.

I remember trying to solo Razorgore long before it was fixed to destroy eggs faster, it was very tricky juggling him and the adds when I am half way done with the eggs, having to quickly kill adds while not harming Razorgore or having the adds kill Razorgore. I succeeded only once and swore off soloing BWL until it was fixed.

Fortunately Viscidus can be skipped.

Viscidus can only be killed with frost damage. This situation isn’t really that ridiculous.

2 Likes

Actually, that’s not 100% accurate. Yes, Frost damage is what freezes him. As of patch 5.1 it takes 20 hits with frost damage, down from the original 200, to freeze Viscidus. That, however, is only the first part of the battle. Once he freezes you have 30 seconds to hit him 30 times, down from 75 in 15 seconds, with Physical Damage, spell damage does not work here it has to be Physical Damage.

If, within that 30 seconds, you can not deal 30 hits of physical damage to him he will thaw and the process resets. The physical hits done before are reset.

This is why this boss fight is a problem. While classes like Druid have Cat Form, who’s auto attack speed alone is 1.0 (1 attack a second) before haste, with multiple moves that deal “Physical Damage”, not all classes have that benefit.

Take Frost Mage who, even with the fastest 1h weapon equipped (dagger), they have an Auto Attack speed of 1.8 (1 attack every 1.8 seconds) before haste. Thats it!

Take Prot Paladin, as I mentioned above. Before patch 8.0 and the changes made I was able to BARELY scrape a victory out of this boss, now I can’t unless I go and acquire a niche trinket such as “Terracotta Fragment” or such to garner extra auto attacks. Most of these trinkets are not even that easy to acquire, either dropping from rare elites (Actual rare elites, not the WoD-BFA era rares) or from things like Archeology. Many, such as “Barov Peasant Caller” were even removed from the game.

The point I am making is that, while some classes can breeze through this fight, there are a lot as of 8.0 that have a far harder time with this fight now given the changes to secondary stats and mechanical changes.

The followup point I made was that Razorgore was solo able by most everyone if you played your cards right before his change. The fight was tight but doable and yet it was changed for ease of access. While Viscidus may not be a required boss, and is optional, there are pieces of transmog and other items locked behind this boss and it is by far the least solo friendly fight in all of Vanilla.

9 Likes

You could’ve brought a friend in the time it took you to make this thread

5 Likes

Dude, in the time it took to make this thread, any 100 could have cleared out AQ40 - except for Viscidus. Now it wouldn’t be so bad if his drop pool was added to every other boss in the game so he could legitimately be avoided - and if Blizz can’t write a workaround for the mechanic, then this is what they should do - but he has a tier drops required for set completion, unique transmogs (that include off-pieces for said tier sets), and a pet needed for an achievement.

He’s annoying because he has to be killed.

6 Likes

You should probably understand the mechanics of the fight before commenting on how ridiculous the situation is (or isn’t)…

3 Likes

There is a kind of work around its called having an enchanter make you the Deathfrost enchant and use something like the Thunderfury Legendary (which i think is 1 of the weapons most if not all classes can wield) and when you farm AQ try to bring it with you when you get to the fight and use it on him so you can freeze him and destroy him. Visidious is suppose to be susceptible to Frost damage which is why one would need a class that does Frost damage or the Deathfrost enchant and put it on a weapon one may be less willing to Sell/Delete if they plan on farming the boss.

I haven’t tried this in a while - does the Endothermic toy no longer work? As a Paladin I used that and the create of kidnapped puppies to down him in the past, but my late time was quite a while ago.

Nah, the toy was hotfixed a while back. I wasn’t too concerned with the Frost Damage though as enchants that deal “frost” damage are easy to come by. Its the getting 30 hits in 30 seconds which is the hard part for a lot of classes/specs.

I actually ended up farming the Crate of Kidnapped Puppies though to do this boss, without that item though its pretty much impossibly for a solo paladin to beat the shatter phase as most the other suggested trinkets to help no longer exist.

2 Likes

i solo Viscidus as a protect paladin the same way with the crate of puppies toy. i have a 1 handed weapon ilevel 133 enchanted with deathfrost and then i make frost oil pots and put on the weapon as well.

i read off wowhead recently about speed pots and haste too but i can do the boss without it. fyi.

put trinket in your hot bar and start smashing away…once hes frozen hit the puppies toy and few seconds later he shatters.

/viola

i think something somewhere too that all weapons of 1 handed were all the same attack speed 2.6. also seen something sometime ago about like a mining pick was faster…like a special one not a normal off a vendor…never followed through trying to figure that out.

also if you pull each boss, every trash mob and kill princess last for her loot table and open no coffers with any key and then sell everything thats not a reagent from aq40 youll gain about 200 gold.

/funfact

goodluck

Rannoch was actually saying that even they (a frost mage) find the situation ridiculous. Because it’s not just the frost, as has been mentioned, it’s the shatter after you freeze him. I can’t solo this boss on my Frost Mage without using the crate of puppies.

As much as I love stringed instruments… :violin::dancer:t3:

voilà

:woman_shrugging::smiley_cat::heart:

1 Like

Maybe the devs will see the following suggestion and act on it even if they want to retain the basic mechanics:

Make normal attack count during frozen phase (I.e., 30 phys attacks while Visc is frozen) cumulative over multiple freeze phases. So that even if you can’t deliver fast melee attacks, you’ll eventually beat that jelly down and can get out of the fight without a reset or a wipe.

5 Likes

Agreed. It’s fine if it takes a few shatter phases if it’s made more solo friendly and less reliant on farming specialized items just to kill the boss.

1 Like

If you really need anything off Viscidus, I suggest you kill him with an Enhancement Shaman using Hailstorm.

This is quite literally all they have to do.

On that note, quite literally all they have to do to fix mythic Hellfire Assault is to change the insta-wipe condition to “BOTH” cannons dying, and it hasn’t happened yet.

same trying to get the shoulders for my hunter and bug there.

I was having the hardest time solo-ing on my 120 elemental shaman until I realized I could use Frostshock to freeze him and my heirloom, Sharpened Scarlet Kris or Balanced Heartseeker combined with my earth elemental to make the hit count. Hope it helps someone :slight_smile: Good luck

1 Like

Like the Sharpened Silithid Femur- the sword that an Enhancement shaman can’t equip?

Or maybe the Gauntlets of the Righteous Champion - the plate gloves that shaman can’t wear?