Viscidus - AQ40 Legacy Solo Issues

ALright After doing this fight using the Endothermic Blaster (or the Shadopan blaster from Throne of Thunder) There is only 2 classes I cannot solo this boss on.

Paladin and Mage

Ironic enough the Frost Mage cannot solo it due to either needing certain trinkets for auto attack damage, or the paladin who cannot attack fast enough.

My other toons I have found work arounds

DK - Easy : Endothermic Blaster + Army as Unholy
Warrior - Easy : Endothermic Blaster + Fury spec
Hunter - Easy : Endothermic Blaster + Beast Master Spec
Shaman - Easy : Enhancement Spec and Frostbrand to freeze him and just attacking to kill him
Monk - Easy : Endothermic Blaster + Windwalker makes it fast
Demon Hunter - Easy : Endothermic Blaster + Havoc Spec
Druid - Easy : Endothermic Blaster + Feral Spec even though its all boomkin gear
Rogue - Easy : Endothermic Blaster + Any spec
Warlock - Easy : Endothermic Blaster + Destruction Spec with Fel Hunter + Infernal and Auto Attacks
Priest - Kinda difficult : Endothermic Blaster + Auto Attacks and Shadowfiend and hope it hits enough times.

The other Classes however, I try the Endothermic Blaster to freeze it or Frost spells but I cannot attack fast enough as a Paladin or a Mage to shatter the boss. I might try farming the Crate of Puppies or another trinket that summons a melee pet, but Iā€™m forced to skip that boss as these classes for now which is a shame cause a few AQ pieces in the Transmog Set tab require him.

1 Like

So I made this post back when I was originally a Paladin and this is what i had to do. I can confirm that Crate of Puppies gets the job done.

I personally do not think that a legacy boss should require outside farming to be able to kill but with a Paladin its very possible with Crate of Puppies. I can not comment on Mage though.

You understand how stupid this is, right? You have to get a Christmas toy in order to make this boss soloable. I have the toy, but thatā€™s not reasonable.

How many other legacy bosses can you say need this level of preparation in order to down them? And itā€™s still a chance, not 100% guaranteed.

Exactly, this is 100% my argument on how this boss is silly. No other Legacy boss requires as much farming of specific items by certain classes in order to even do it.

I brought up Razorgore before and how only certain classes, like Paladin, use to be able to solo it before Blizzard changed it to be easier to solo. It is surprising that Viscidus remains one boss that, for many classes, requires much more extra prep in the form of farming out specific trinkets, enchants, etc just to kill the boss while Blizzard has taken steps for other bosses and encounters to make sure that is not the case.

Are there any substitutes for the Crate of Puppies?

Razorgore was always fundamentally soloable, only tedious. Viscidus is different in kind, because the mechanics arenā€™t soloable at all without specific DPS characteristics (frost damage plus high phys attack rate, basically).

It needs some kind of soloability adjustments. Make freeze phase hits cumulative so that slow attack speed extends the fight, not makes it unwinnable. Lower the number of hits required and extend how long you have to deliver them (kinda like the Razorgore nerf). Maybe put a cap on the number of freeze phases while Visc is at 1 health before you just win.

I donā€™t anticipate theyā€™ll do any of that, of course. Itā€™s an ancient raid and a skippable boss. Recipe for low dev priority.

The issue is that there is Transmog on that boss needed to complete certain sets - Namely the Paladin, Shaman, and others. Had they not included AQ 40 in the Set list tab I would not have bothered with all this experimentation. Luckily my Warrior got the gloves for the Paladin set last week and my Hunter got all the Shaman pieces so I never have to come back to AQ 40 but still, those who do not have that option or do not wish to level alts just to farm these appearances for their mains kinda suffer.

I sort of see the point - You shouldnā€™t need to level a Warrior or a DK just to get Paladin gloves off a boss, or have to level a Warlock or Priest to get Mage gear. Its rediculous.

Just soloā€™d as a frost mage - 1.8 speed dagger - macro time warp & icy veins to a button when he freezes just pop macro and sit back watch frenzied stabbing happen.

Thanks to Byucknah for the mechanics which really help :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I have the Barov Peasant Caller, so this will work to kill this guy huhā€¦ Never thought to do that.

I can confirm this works. My mage has a base haste rating of 16%, which was just enough to get the 30 hits in with Icy Veins and Time Warp. Luckily I had a dagger with 1.8 speed sitting in my bag already so I didnā€™t even have to go grab one and come back.

I use the bow for that boss from this page on wowhead https://www.wowhead.com/search?q=brunnhildar#items

Thereā€™s stuff like the Barov Peasant Caller trinkets (one exists in WoD), any on use that summons a pet (I believe thereā€™s one from a rare in Stormheim, a WQ in Tiragarde, etc.). You can double stack these trinkets, find the fastest weapon possible, and stack as much Haste as possible.

well Viscidious is only frozen with frost damage, itā€™s melee attacks and a lot of them fast that kill him. I had issues with my frost mage, just gotta hit him with a lot of auto attacks or have a pet.

Thatā€™s ridiculous !!! Iā€™ve beaten the dawn thing to zero health and it keeps attacking me refusing to dieā€¦ I believe that this is probably in priority xxxx for the blizard bugs dev et has been forgotten sinceā€¦ Classic IT bad managementā€¦

Trolling orā€¦?

How many people go out and ask a friend to come farm something they probably donā€™t need every week in old content though? Me personally, I wouldnā€™t even ask my best friend to do this unless they would let me pay them 2k, and they wonā€™t take my money so itā€™ll never happen. Itā€™s 100 year old content man =/

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Thereā€™s xmog on Viscidus that I would like on my Paladin. Iā€™m using a Brunnhildar Great Axe and I STILL canā€™t shatter him. I can free him up but canā€™t shatter. What am I doing wrong?

there are older weapons you can get that add frost attacks. Itā€™s not the frost that kills him, that just freezes him. Once frozen, you need to hit him with as many melee attacks as possible. Itā€™s not even easy on a Frost DK, but is very doable. It is annoying tho, especially when you can buy a lvl 25 of his pet for like 4k gold, not even worth the time it takes to fly there. Iā€™ll def help you kill it sometime if you want tho, I got nothin better to do with my time.

2 Likes

itā€™s the amount of hits not how hard, Iā€™ve beat him on a shaman but it took multiple tries and required repeatedly quickly right clicking for auto attack. I honestly feel like itā€™s kinda just random if you get the kill.

I canā€™t even get guildies and friends to come on mounts runs, ainā€™t nobody comin to help us in AQ40. That always seems to be the answer people give, even though they know thatā€™s not how reality works. Weā€™re on our own. Heck, I couldnā€™t even get people to do it on classic.

1 Like