Violation: Abusive Chat - Question

Considering you cannot report that way…

To the OP, i seem to recall that sometimes it can just be a snippet of chat from the time of report. It may not be the offending lines. I could me misremembering however.

https://i.imgur.com/9mVZzkt.png

Anyways…

Depends, not always.

I do see your appeal open, it’s 15 hours old. This may take some time before it comes up in queue.

This does look like your realm mates were becoming annoyed with your advertisements. What a GM will do is look to see if it constitutes spam.

5 Likes

Disheartening this is enough for a 10 day suspension leading into a new expansion.

2 Likes

I’m not making any judgement about whether the suspension was deserved or not, because that’s what the appeals process is for. But if a suspension is upheld, punishment is not supposed to be something “acceptable”. That makes it ineffective and thus unlikely to alter the behavior.

Same with the possibility of missing the WotLK launch. The punishment means something and doesn’t feel good.

They used to give escalating silences for chat violations, and found that they weren’t effective. Not only were they not effective, but some people considered it a “badge of honor” and tried for the longest silence they could get. Not saying this is you, but it’s partly why they are giving harsher suspensions now.

5 Likes

I’d agree if this was 2008 but I doubt the 10 days, in-game suspension was done with thought behind it yet alone by a person.

10 days ago and I was under the impression no way would it go past automated warning for something not breaking the rules.

2 Likes

I think what the person is trying to discuss is related to this.

• In 2016 they switched to the Silence system which removed social features with doubling penalties. They could still suspend people, but it was not common for chat infractions.
  • Only in the past 6-8 months or so have they gone back to the Suspensions - and esp the week to 10 day suspensions.
  • Infractions on the account stack so anything from 2016 on will count when evaluating any new penalties
  • Wrath is insanely popular and has a lot of folks returning to the game. Folks who might have had an infraction between 2016 and now, but who have not played in a long time. They were not aware Blizz went back to the Suspensions.
  • Having 10 days is one thing, missing Wrath release is another - esp for minor infractions which only received 10 days because of years old past infractions.

You are not wrong that punishments are meant to be just that - an punishment. On the other hand I see why returning players are surprised at the length, and distressed at missing Wrath release for something minor.

Of course, this forum is not the place to debate policy. The Devs who make those decisions don’t come here so the OP is not going to get heard.

7 Likes

On the contrary, a great deal of thought was put into it. They are trying to get rid of toxicity in this game, like most other companies are doing. If a silence or a short suspension doesn’t work, then they are going to get longer until they start to matter.

Given the amount of complaints, it would seem that they landed on a pretty effective punishment.

That’s the problem with listening to streamers, or Reddit, or people in trade chat, or guildmates, etc.

They rarely understand the rules they agreed to, and more importantly, the consequences to breaking the rules.

5 Likes

The recent non-participation ban wave begs to differ…

Not sure what you’re responding to here. The context of what you replied to is I was falsely reported to trigger the automated ‘behavior warnings’ for advertising in trade chat.

2 Likes

Just note, if you received a 10 day suspension for chat violations, then this isn’t your first chat violation or even your 2nd. Your account would be showing a history of such violations to get it up to 10 days.

7 Likes

Minor to them, but not to others and especially Blizzard.

But you really are underling the point. They thought they would just get silenced….and that was acceptable. They didn’t care that a silence was the punishment.

Now they care. Now it’s an unacceptable penalty, so maybe they will look to alter how they behave in game. That’s why Blizzard has stiffened the penalties.

4 Likes

My most recent chat violation is from “2 years” + ago in BFA – Not sure what relevance that has for being falsely reported in TBC classic.

Not sure what your issue is with all this projection but read the thread please.

I wasn’t thinking I’d just get silenced – I was thinking there is no way being targeted by opposing sellers in trade chat is grounds for a suspension.

3 Likes

But you weren’t falsely reported, as Orylia said. Realmmates were fed up with your advertisement, which they felt was spamming. That is exactly what the report system is for: to bring it to Blizzard’s attention and letting them handle it.

3 Likes

That 2 years ago chat violation is still on the record and counts towards future penalties.

3 Likes

Insane system when it’s paired with mob rule of automated bans.

2 Likes

There are no automated suspensions or bans, a person reviews each report and applies a penalty if it’s required.

8 Likes

There are no automated bans. It’s sad when people come in here not realizing that your realm mates were the ones who reported you. Then a real person went over those reports to determine if you did violate chat rules. Once verified in the log files, they impose a penalty based on your accounts history. Those penalties usually start with a warning to stop said violations, but if you have had penalties in the past, you already received your warning back then. From there, the penalties escalate up to and can include full account closure.

5 Likes

If believing that it was opposing sellers that reported you makes you feel better about it, that’s fine. But you really have no idea who reported you nor does the system rely on just a couple of reports.

It would have taken many reports from unique accounts in order to trigger the spam squelch which a GM would have looked at and determined what kind of punishment was appropriate. Simply put, the suspension wasn’t automated.

4 Likes

There are but anyways.

1 Like

And it is extremely sad that people believe the lies spread on reddit about something that the redditors have no actual knowledge of. They post their lies on Reddit because if they post here, they get called out fast for lying and it is hilarious. They don’t like it when they get called out with facts so they post there instead.

11 Likes