Update stuck on initializing

Waiting on another installation, doesn’t work.

Initializing, doesn’t work.

Scan and repair, doesn’t work.

Uninstall doesn’t work.

Force deleted everything about the game from my computer, reinstall doesn’t work.

I restarted my computer before going to the extremes, nothing is working.

30 Likes

Same here. Uninstalled Bnet (like an idiot) and now i cant even reinstall it.

11 Likes

The usual route is to:

If needed. Go into settings for the launcher and disable updates for everything except what you want to update, and repeat the first steps.

8 Likes

They have post … Somewhere.

Mine over hour now … No sub time or raenbow breath, so.
Scanning 3rd time.
The directory gets deleted at midnight!
10 min. 78%
Updating
Back to Scanning…16%
I gave all 7 battle.net’s realtime piority … 5 min to midnight scanning 64%

11:58 EST update stoped it!
Restarted the battle.net install program.
Updating battle.net…

Glad I can do this programming for the staff 12:02 …

This reminds me of my first vacation off the Forum.
Well wish you well and all a good game.

Uninstalling.
Thanks I’ll try in a few weeks.
Every day play 99% anyway for almost 10 years.
Just will not work.
Checked my windows update…yup needed one…why did they not put it in the 22H2 I just did yesterday to start all this mess. KB5020030
Installing 0%…12:25 I’m getting hungry.
It’s like pullng teeth.
100% yaasno 21%
My dog is looking at me…
Stretch…scrach scratch scratch
Wife aggro … I can smell that. Did ya let the dog out. Not yet … Waiting on a update
Restarts computer.
Dog hears the beep and lays back down.
Updating battle.net win…
Installing new battle.net on my wow drive…12:38…0% just nothing
Cancled 12:40
Restarting computer 12:41
I ate .
1:19 Updating game!
Nope back to Scanning…
Dog is looking at me.

About 2 hrs this morning …

Deleted my World of Warcraft folder .
Started downloading … Around 70 gig to go it displayed PLAY button.
I watched the video again and loaded into my moved Druid. Adjusted some settings and exited the game.
Download started again in battle.net
I beleve I fixed it.

3 Likes

I have completely uninstalled battle.net, reinstalled it. Cleared the cache via instructions above, the game once said install now it says there’s an update even though the game is gone from my computer. It starts initializing on a 17mb update, goes incredibly slowly, gets to the end, stuck on infinite initializing loop.

3 Likes

This is happening to me on my laptop. My desktop was not affected.

1 Like

Inverse here, laptop worked fine, desktop is having issues. Scrubbing anything bnet/blizzard related from my computer currently. I’ll get to the bottom of this… eventually.

1 Like

Same I can’t do anything at all. This is really frustrating as I waited all day to try out the new class. Let me know if you find a fix

3 Likes

I seem to be stuck in a scanning loop. It gave me an error code, but I pressed OK too fast. I’ll try to edit if I get the code again. Previously it was repairing all my files, Classic, Classic WotLK, PTR, and Beta. I’ve uninstalled all except Dragonflight, so I’ll see how this scan/update goes.

1 Like

Same problem here, here’s a few more details:

Fresh install of the battle.net client I had to close and reopen many times to get to actually install/update.

Finally getting the launcher to install, the WoW game install is stuck at “Initializing…”

I freshly formatted my computer earlier this evening and decided a bit ago to try WoW out since the pre-patch released recently. So all of my issues are from a fresh install of everything.

Maybe this is a CDN server issue? I am located in the Southeast USA on Spectrum internet.

Update: The whole launcher seems slow, the news posts, the friends list, etc. There must be a server issue going on.

Update 2: Finally got past the indexes… but the download speed of the game is atrocious at 2.4MB/s. My current speed test shows 300mbit+ and another game downloaded just a bit earlier at 40mb/s

3 Likes

Initializing (XXX/1006)

It is moving incredibly slowly for having gigabit internet and SSD storage. I can almost confidently say whatever the lag is, it’s not on my end at this point. Continuing to watch the reinstall.

Edit: Restarting the app in admin mode seems to have sped up the initialization speed.

Edit 2: Got past the first initialization loop and into a measured megabyte download only to get stuck in yet another initialization loop. A fresh install of Bnet and WoW has done nothing.

1 Like

Yes, it seems like there is a latency/server issue. At least on my end. I do not have a VPN to test another location, sadly. :frowning: Even installing the launcher was horribly broken/slow from a fresh format of my computer earlier.

2 Likes

Ok, I was directed to this page after getting the error again. I’ll see about redownloading the game, but is this a Blizzard server problem? Might need to chill until it’s fixed. I know patch rollouts are iffy.

Success at last. Restarted the app one more time, opened task manager and force stopped everything even closely related to Blizzard and Battle.net, reopened the app, WoW installation has begun. Currently seeing a download remaining of 81 GB.

4 Likes

Same issue. Uninstalled Bnet. Took forever to reinstall it. Finally reinstalled. Game stuck on “initializing”. What a great idea to come back to WoW after a year and face this garbage.

edit: Roughly five hours later, leaving bnet on “initializing” it just randomly decided to update. Fun times. No idea what caused this, no idea what fixed it. Just uninstalling and reinstalling everything and waiting.

4 Likes

Left computer running with update initializing when I left for work 12 hrs ago, get home and still stuck on initializing. Tried all the workarounds from the troubleshooting and dev guides. Nope…still initializing.

5 Likes

Also stuck on initializing → scan and repair returns : blzbntagt00000bb8. https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/2667.

uninstalled VPN, Microsoft defender off, uninstalled battle.net, cleared Battle.net Cache Folder (https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/34721). nothing works.

what do I do now? reinstall everything?

2 Likes

Having the same problem and did everything mentioned and nothing

5 Likes

Happening to me too. Can’t update. Stuck on initializing. Followed the steps as well. This isn’t looking good Blizzard. 10 expansions later and still having the same stupid issues from Vanilla. Are we not learning anything?

3 Likes

Can we go back to the torrent installer from ye olden times?

5 Likes