Update : 58 boost (huge changes)

The amount of crying on wowhead about a 2 minute tutorial is amazing.

3 Likes

Nothing we say will sway Blizz’s decision, and that most of all is what hurts.

Personally I believe Blizzard doesn’t have a clue how to make a simple tutorial. They seem scared that people won’t try, so they lead the player around by the hand… badly. One can look to earlier renditions of Boosted character introductions to see their formula is less helpful than letting someone play. Even telling someone to “ask a guard” is more helpful than being led around.

It’s about teaching/showing how to learn, how to problem solve. Leading people around by the hand they’re hurting the player by suggesting there’s always a guiding hand somewhere. This alone is what gives boosted players a stigma- the fact they’re handed power with no experience. They’re handed knowledge without reasoning logic behind it.
Example: Murlocs are scary. It’s a meme, but why is it a meme? Why are they scary? How can the learn why murlocs are a threat without encountering them?

I understand why they want to sell boosts for TBC- some people may hate Classic and TBC did iron out a metric ton of pain and hassle. But Blizzard needs to come to grips with the fact failing is the best teacher, and guided tutorials is the worst way to go. I’d almost rather the person have to take a test of some sort before being allowed to boost.
I’m also worried that Retail is going to seep in more and more. There’s a reason Classic was enjoyed on private servers- it wasn’t Retail.

6 Likes

So you admit I didnt say that? Your lack of reading comprehension combined with your emotional bias does not my implication make.

As my original point actually was, I am curious as to why this is where you draw the line. This is the straw that broke the camel’s back? Level 58 boost was fine, but 60 is the end of the world? Or if your opposed to a 58 boost, how is a 60 boost cataclysmically worse than the 58, which was already going to ruin the game?

1 Like

Your tinfoil hat is showing my guy.

Would you rather boosted characters just show up at the portal with no spells and not even a tutorial of what a spell trainer is?

Low level characters have a whole tutorial zone

1 Like

They called it a 58 boost, it should be a 58 boost. If they’re trying to make it so that these players can be able to catch up to 60s as fast as they possibly can on launch, they might as well just make it a 60 boost. A 60 boost with these announced changes actually wouldn’t be the end of the world, their attempt at trickery is just obnoxious. Just do a flat 58 boost or flat 60 boost and stop buttering it up so much, this isn’t a 58 boost.

1 Like

So youre ok with a 58 boost or a 60 boost but youre not ok with a boost that gives them 58.75 and full rested to hit 60?

I fail to see the difference?

4 Likes

Because they’re not calling it what it is, they do this all the time to try to see what they can get away with and it’s really annoying.

2 Likes

They said they wanted it to be for people who didnt play classic.

This tutorial is exactly that…

1 Like

Oh, I get it. You feel slighted and lied to by Papa-Blizzard. The company that for the past decade has stood for Transparency, Customer Service and strong Business Ethics. I can understand how that can be a paradigm-shifting breach of trust and faith. Well the only thing any sane person would be to do, is to end such a toxic relationship and try to move on with your life. Clearly you can not stand for such deceit, deceit that would allow these 58 boosts to still be ~1.5 levels behind the 60s who will have full rest going into TBC as well! Make a clean break my friend, its the only way to maintain your emotional health!

5 Likes

I don’t have any problem with new players hopping into TBC with a boost or tutorials, my problem entirely revolves around Activision Blizzard’s constant scheming.

One of the brightest minds that made Classic a reality for us all just left for Dreamhaven less than a week ago, but sure keep simping for this ongoing trainwreck bud.

2 Likes

I mean to be fair they are starting at 58, just we had no actual info on the boost yet.

1 Like

Show me where I said anything positive about Blizzard that can be construed as simping.

You don’t get rested xp at the release of a new expansion

1 Like

Every single one of your replies to this thread before I posted in it were nothing but baiting anti-boosters into replying to you, so we can start there.

Well, there goes the whole “but they won’t know their class!” argument.

Thanks for deflating that balloon, Blizz.

(no sarcasm, seriously glad they took the air out of that argument)

1 Like

So you dont have me saying anything positive about Blizzard to quote then?

maybe not. maybe it isnt hand holding but clarification, since many retail players will assume the new abilities/spells will just materialize on their action bar or in their spellbooks. it’ll save alot of noob like questions that would likely receive harrassment and vitriol in answer, turning off new players to classic era content.

2 Likes

That Wowhead comment section is perfect.

chef’s kiss

3 Likes