Unwarranted Bans

What happens when you receive a ban for bot/hacks when you havent used them? I am asking for my son who raids beside me, and has never used that crap, and just got a ban for that. I just went through our system and unless he is secretly a coder when I look away for a minute at a time, there is nothing to indicate this WHATSOEVER. Im kind of a p*ssed off mama right now. Been paying blizz for 2 accounts for 12 years, and this is their angle?

How does blizzard fix this error?

1 Like

The account holder files an appeal via the ticket system. That’s your chance to have it reviewed. Forum postings are not appeals.

1 Like

Ok, well we have done this. Is this common that blizzard makes a big oops in this instance? Hate for him to be banned for 6 months and be accused of something that is not legitimate, really a patronizing thing to do is accuse someone needlessly. Are there viruses or anything that can cause something that looks like hacks or mods, is it addons? We are both trying really hard to figure out how this could have happened.

Any heads up is appreciated. He is frantically going through his computer, but neither of us really know what we are looking for. In the meantime we will kindly save $40 CAD every month and blizzcon tickets, and store merchandise until it is remedied, I dont support companies that are not willing to work with their clientele in problem solving, so must let my account lapse too. Think I will go buy a new patio set with all the money I will be saving. But will be sad to pass on my guild to someone else. And to not watch my sons twice/week progression with his friends.

2 Likes

Apparently a LOT of people got hit by this, myself included.

I am hoping it is merely a false-positive type of deal.

3 Likes

well this is definitely a false. We switch up computers too, so why wasnt my account flagged? Just seems fishy to me since we are mere feet apart playing and I pull a chair up to watch their raiding, I am 10000% sure he has nothing other than common addons on his brand new computer. It kind of hurt him to be accused unnecessarily. I got all mama bear LOL

2 Likes

There is a thread over on the Customer Support forum.

Which is now closed.

Knowing Blizzard, likely to be deleted soon, as well.

1 Like

I cant see why they would suppress people discussing this issue on the forums, obviously they arent right all the time. Hence the evening we have had. We will be taking the computers in to the tech as well to see if something crazy is happening, as we have been wracking our brains and trying to google what could have caused this, to no avail.

There was mention of software that alters your appearance in that thread Adorapriest. Keep in mind this may not be a recent thing. They study and collect information before a ban wave is dropped.

yeah I am so sure they researched long and hard to ban ALL these people most of which have done nothing wrong…gg blizz

3 Likes

We use transmog in game . And there is nothing of that software on either of our computers that we interchange with each other. Our computers are new, identical, and have the same installs that were done on day 1. It is an error on Blizzards part. We have gamed side by side since '07 and we woudnt be frantically trying to figure out whats causing this if either of us were guilty of any of this ridiculousness?

Again, why am I not banned then? Same computers used in the household… because its not us.

4 Likes

Seems to be for character morphing software.

The only way to get it overturned is an appeal. Honestly though, not much from mass ban waves gets overturned. They targeted people because they can see what software youre using, it wasn’t some guess. Every time one happens there are masses of outraged people who did nothing wrong… this isn’t the first rodeo around here.

But hopefully everyone itt is the exception. You can appeal one or more times, until they tell you to stop.

1 Like

I am asking, if there is NO software, or modding or whatever, what can be done. I know for a fact that we have not used any of this. I mean who would know this more than us? My son is scared of redemption swatting a mosquito, and I have no inclination to morph any characters. For crying out loud, I work in tertiary mental health all day, I see enough personalities and talk people back into their clothes more often than I care to. I came here to reach out for ideas beyond an appeal which blizzard stated in the email will not be looked at. I am pretty sure being arms length away I would have seen him character morphing, and it does zilch for me to even try. Again, in clarity, we use transmog.

Transmog isn’t the issue, you’re definitely 100% fine using transmog, so don’t worry about that.

This banwave appears to have targeted players primarily who use morphing software or file-editing mods (not mods you find on Curse - things that actually modify the files of the game). If your son secretly is using some sort of inappropriate mod when you’re not around, that’s why he’s banned and it’s almost definitely not going to be reversed.

That said, it’s very possible your son was targeted as a false positive. Regardless whether this is true, Blizzard cannot take you on your word here on the forums. A formal appeal is the only way to make progress on this issue, and I would recommend explaining the situation calmly while trying to avoid using personal evidence as any sort of proof of what was or wasn’t done (such as the line of ‘Who would know this more than us?’). There simply is no other route to take aside from getting a new account.

For a bit of context, WoW keeps a sharp eye on its own files as well as processes running in the background while your play. If your son was using private server software, background programs interfering with the game, client file modifications, or even taking advantage of macro features with his keyboard/mouse to automate actions, your son was correctly banned.

The only thing you can is appeal. Don’t make it long winded - they’re not looking to be pursuaded by you. Either they have the correct evidence that you did it or they don’t. An appeal will just get a fresh set of eyes to make sure they didn’t made a mistake.

You can appeal until they tell you they won’t take anymore. At that point there is no more recourse.

That sounds legitimate, except, why am I not banned, we plop down on both computers. I am home before him, and we play together. Nobody else uses our new computers. The who would know more than us is in response to the fact that I came here for some help, and it seems people think we are guilty of this or it wouldnt have happened. If my son wanted to look at adult anime or something, fly at it, Im progressive, but he is adamant against this stuff in game, as am I, he reports people for cursing in chat because he thinks its immoral. Accusing someone of something they did not do negates their integrity, and is uncalled for. But really I would like advice on how blizz can fix this since they stated they will not respond to appeals. He has never successfully lied to me about anything in 17 years. He has tried 3 times, and he is not ‘secretly’ using mods, or I would know. Not just because we use the same computer.

1 Like

frankly, it doesn’t matter what i or anyone on here thinks of you or your story. nobody here is unbanning you and there’s no advice anyone can give on how to get unbanned except to submit an appeal.

1 Like

I wont be buying him a new account, although I felt awful for him and offered. He said if they dont fix their mistake, he is done with that game. Once wronged, hes a hard one to amend with lol. In the meantime, what else can we do to see this through? Is there a site we can frequent for updates on this? Seems a bunch of people have been wrongfully banned.

Is submitting a ticket different from an appeal? As I already put in an appeal. However the email said they do not respond to them.

I mean the last time I had to deal with blizz, it was when we called a toll free number, so is an appeal the only way?

1 Like

there has never been a way to call to appeal. you submit an appeal via a ticket - it’s just a type of ticket category that goes to different people. they are responded to, until they tell you that you’ve submitted too many and they will no longer repond to them - so i think it’s likely you misunderstood something in the e-mail or it was unclear.

Your son got caught in a ban-wave, he is not being singled out. Nobody is accusing him of anything - he’s one of hundreds or thousands of people that received a ban today that seems to have a number of possible reasons behind it. Something suspicious happened at some point while your son was playing at any point in the past few months - and that could literally be something as small as he downloaded a nude mod “for the lols” for 5 minutes before uninstalling it. I’m not saying he did, but I am saying that it’s all it takes.

You would be surprised how easy it is to hide a lot of that stuff. Just because you have been on the same machine does not mean the files were not present. There’s more to it than dropping a file into your WoW directory and logging in - that’s how easy it was in Vanilla and it was exploited drastically because of it.

The fact that you both use the machine and only one of you got banned seems to me personally more likely that he did use something without your knowledge, even if it was something very short-lived and insignificant that he might have even forgotten about it. Again, not saying this is the case, but that’s a hunch.

Anyway, yes, an appeal is the only way you might make any progress with this issue. As this is a banwave and not just a targeted ban, you can cross your fingers hoping that this was indeed a false positive among many others. If Blizzard finds this to be true, they are likely to investigate further and start lifting bans for those falsely banned.

But otherwise, I wouldn’t hold your breath. And if, in fact, your son did do any of the aforementioned actions that got him banned, he’s stuck with it.

3 Likes