Unpopular opinion: Player Housing is a WoD 2.0

I would say what prints money is micro transactions and the in-game shop. Player housing is an overrated concept.

There ARE MMO games that don’t have player houseing, too.

I play on an RP server, so it’s VERY social in cities.

RP is a different animal. But they’ve even ruined some of that by not fixing the sharding they put in during the Diablo event.

Housing items are micro-trans in some MMOs.

fixed that for you.

Sorry I haven’t played every, so I couldn’t speak for all of them.

1 Like

Even so, he is either not in an active guild, has a social problem, or doesn’t go into cities. A boop on the nose is a form of social interaction in a city, despite small, or any interaction from player to player.

Ergo you don’t say, “never”.

Well said dude, good on you!

I’m in a guild and have no social issues. People don’t really socialize in Valdrakken.

I do so all the time. Loneliness sucks, and there is no reason to NOT interact with your fellow player.

I should say “excuse”.

Well you are one person. And it’s not very common at all.

I’m sure there are more. Still, you don’t say “never”.

Rare instances don’t mean people are social in the main city.

But, to be fair, that “crowd” vibe is a thing and as much as I enjoyed being in my own garrison bubble, even I missed it.

(it didn’t help that I was a bit confused about whether the Ashran outposts could spontaneously turn into PvP areas or not so ended up avoiding them for half the expansion)

There is no problem with having a housing system. The only problem is blizzard is reluctant to make a team specifically to think design and develop anything outside of a content patch or an expansion needs. There is no D team or F team doing content for the ten year scale or something along the lines. Which is what would a housing system requires since it isn’t primary or secondary content. The system would easily mix with the main content in the way of furniture drops in old and new raids or dungeons. World quest world events and other number of things to do. Not to forget about crafting and blueprints which would give another reason to use our newly remade crafting system.

But for all of that to happen blizzard needs to stop blaming their 2 year cycle and make stuff for the long term teams.

2 Likes

This is mostly due to the negative backlash they’ve gotten from garrisons. Class halls were pretty dope, ngl, I don’t see why we can use that again.

They got backlash from garrisonsbecause they used the main team to craft the garrison system and deleted a whole raid phase to do that. What I proposed they do solves that problem by hiring a full tertiary team to do that work not in a season but in a few years.

I’m guessing blizzard does not want to invest on long road systems for w.e reason principally $$$$ being the reason.

Also let’s be honest the garrison system felt like a quest hub of a cheap Korean mmos and you couldn’t even see anyone else around.

1 Like

I’ve yet to encounter a housing system in the MMOs I’ve played (City of Heroes, SWTOR and WildStar) that emptied out the hub cities to a noticeable degree, or where the developers of those games - all of whom never had as much money or manpower as Blizzard to work with - had to sacrifice quality elsewhere in the game to do it. If you have had contrary experiences in the games you’ve played, that’s fine, but no one is “brainwashed” because they’ve experienced games where the system actually worked and think it could work here.

I do not consider WoD player housing. I consider it a half-baked nod to the series’ RTS roots that assumed too many roles that were previously taken by other forms of content, including raid-quality gearing, to the detriment of a lot of content. It is certainly not the only form “housing” could possibly take in this game, nor was it even the best they could probably have done at the time.

5 Likes

It’s ok it’s your opinion as you say, a very stupid and wrong opinion but ok

Thanks for the bump.