Unpopular opinion: Player Housing is a WoD 2.0

Disclaimer: My opinion is mine and mine alone. Some may have the same view as mine, some may not. Regardless, if the community of GD decides to pull out their torches and pitchforks and decides to flag in an unjustified manner, you are part of the reason why the devs will not listen to us.

I still can’t believe I’m making this topic.

Warlords of Draenor, also known as WoD, came up with a new type of hub that players were forced into – yes, “forced”. Those hubs were called garrisons. Garrisons allowed the new or experienced player to take on the role of Commander and grow their own mining shafts and garden for their professions. It also allowed the player to construct new buildings in accordance to their crafting professions. There were additional features, such as a small playground for battle pets, or a fishing hole.

Further along in the expansion, players were given the choice (and if they grinded hard enough) to build their own auction house within their garrison. That IS if they had the correct building.

“Wow! This all sounds amazing! Can I get one of these?”

Well, you can. You would just have to play the WoD campaign on a twink (I think it would also be possible on a 70 toon). If you don’t know what a twink is, it is a toon that disables earning experience. You can activate it from this NPC:

“Awesome. Thanks Attimis! But… why can’t we have garrisons in future expansions?”

Ah. See that’s the thing. WoD wasn’t so much a great expansion for a few reasons. Despite I still had fun with it (since I have an addiction to Mythic+), many players came up with all sorts of critical problems.

• Since gathering professions was given to everybody in this expansion, the WoW economy got shot in the head.
  • Unless you were in a party, nobody could see your garrison. Includes guildies.
  • Since garrisons were the main hub, you couldn’t see anybody else. Includes guildies.
  • You cannot progress in the campaign unless you own a garrison. (This is the ‘forced’ part).

“Oh…”

When you get done with a storyline, a dungeon, or a raid, you return to a hub containing NPCs that appear to congratulate you on your mission… or your recent pet battle victory. Whatever you did.

“So how about we get something else that doesn’t feel forced? How about… player housing?”

Sigh. Well, its an option. It’s also been asked around a lot. The problem is, the only benefit I would personally see with player housing is a new RP element. And don’t get me wrong – I like RP. But I have a gnawing theory:

If player housing were to be introduced into the World of Warcraft, there are two conditions that will already take effect: One condition where, if Blizzard developers greenlights player housing ONLY for RP purposes, the budget for that expansion will be shorter – and we might miss out on other components to the game. The other condition is that, if Blizzard developers greenlights player housing and includes some features from a garrison, then we have a WoD 2.0

Both outcomes will cause the forums to blow up in a negative way, but that shouldn’t be a surprise.

“It’s optional! You don’t have to do it!”

I know I don’t. I don’t want to, either. But what I’m trying to avoid is people getting brainwashed by a feature that would promote an empty city. I actually like it when I see players walking around doing their errands in the city. I actually like it when there is social interaction in Valdrakken. In WoD, you hardly get any of that. Player housing could potentially do the same thing, with or without RP elements or garrison features.

“Your opinion is wrong and you don’t get to dictate how others play! FLAGS POST

I hope you have a great day. If you have any concerns, I’ll see if I can address them.

14 Likes

Somehow I feel like player housing would not really attract nearly as much ppl as it may seem on the forums.

I think they could do a minor something using the barebones of the garrison system(but allowing to set your home almost anywhere …etc), but this should be in a minor patch an as such a minor feature which may or may not receive further updates based on the engagement metrics.

Apart from the garrison system which as you said, failed, wow never had anything to do with such systems…

7 Likes

Yeah it’s fun to see other people walking around but no one interacts with people they don’t know lol.

The cities only have the facade of being social imo.

Trade chat is still in your garrison which is the actual social part of being in a city.

4 Likes

Not exactly when you only have a limit of two posts. If anything, is the /w or /g channel.

1 Like

But … I really liked garrisons. You’re threatening me with a good time.

18 Likes

Idk what those are. Trade chat is pretty active on moon guard so that isn’t an issue.

1 Like

/g = Guild chat and /w = Whisper chat.

Oh ok well those work regardless of where people are right?

I’m assuming so because of random guild invite whispers.

Wouldn’t be an issue in garrisons/housing

The reason i really want player housing is because I’m sick to death of new systems being added each expansion that get left on the trash heap when we we move into the next expansion, it’s such a massive waste of the devs time and ours to invest all of our time into content and systems that are essentially disposable. I want player housing to be the new system that is supported as we move forward from one expansion to the next because i think it can be a great way to support other content/professions without being compulsory.

25 Likes

If you want to block guild invites, you go to your game settings and select the “social” tab. From there you can block guild invites.

I’d like player housing if it was in a game built around the idea of it having a cultivated purpose. WoW is not.

For example in Skyrim you get your own house. You pick the plot and all resources near it. You’re still very much part of the area and defend it. You can buy/steal things from the world, like books, and store them in your home. You can hire a servant. You can marry someone who you interact with in the world quests and adventures, etc. Even then…you’re not going to go home that often.

WoW housing would not be able to give that same vibe.

2 Likes

I loved to go to Nexxus and give my housing extra features. Heck, there are some mod files that enabled your character to build a tent.

1 Like

You had an addiction to something that wasn’t in the game yet?

4 Likes

I fail to see why you believe housing would be carried forward when, as you point out, WoW routinely abandons every expansion feature when the next expansion comes.

2 Likes

The customisations were very fun. The additions that if you’re a vampire, you can then turn your spouse into one as well, was hilarious. It also made for interesting storytelling if your spouse was someone of some significance…but is now living the secret life of a vampire too.

If you married a trades person…a portion of their profit also went to you. How cool was that?

I personally preferred at times not to get my own plot and just move in with the spouse in their city home. Married to a blacksmith has some great advantages.

1 Like

Mythic dungeons were first introduced in MoP.

Mythic dungeons are not m+.

2 Likes

ok?

What?

Not the invites that pop up at the top of the screen. people whisper me about their guild.

I was just saying housing won’t destroy the social, because the social isn’t actually there+all the social features can be brought into housing the same way they did for garrison. Aka just let you chat LOL.

1 Like

I am not sure why ppl usually compare Challenge mode to the legion m+.
There are so many and so vast differences between the two that I cant see how do these fit within the same group.
I have never found challenge mode likable to say the least, but legion m+ was astonishingly good at its time.

Comparing CM to m+ is like comparing m0 to m+ to me. Sure they are related, but thats where the similarities stop. CM was timed, just like m+, but the way the timer works in m+ is very different fortunately.

2 Likes