Unpopular opinion: Player Housing is a WoD 2.0

When we stop trying to communicate, aren’t we letting the trolls win?

(I have the same frustration/reaction on some topics, but housing is an area where I worry there is a real breakdown of communication in the community and we’ve drifted off in a dozen different directions in our imaginations)

Wasn’t the same skull, it was another one generated by the beast, the same way attacking a world quest mob drops interactable items. You could not pick up the skull if the beast didn’t interact with, if I recall correctly.

I’ll never understand the whole idea behind " empty cities bad " there’s a fully fleshed out system in ff14 for housing included with tiers of houses different types of housing zones. Yet you can go to any of the 4 cities and there are plenty people running around doing content. Even the minor cities like waking shores and that other one w.e it’s name is. Has plenty people loitering around and just questions and what not. If anything the wow cities lack reasons to be there besides the auction house and bank. The travelers market thing is a good addition and has brought more foot traffic to the old cities at least. The old cities just don’t have anything necessary in the current content. And that shouldn’t be a bad thing.

Valdraken is currently always teeming with people because quests are there and crsfting is there.

The old cities served their purpose. Blizzard own style of game has killed em. >Rush everyone to 60 throw em to df.>>>>>

3 Likes

:expressionless: there is no skull, chief, it’s lines of code manifesting itself in a visual way

You’re missing the point. It is an example of:

-use item from inventory to create item in game
-pick item back up
-use again to place in another place

Find a way to leave it in a more permanent state after moving, and that’s housing done. Easy.

1 Like

That’s the thing though, you do not pick it back up. For all intents and purposes, it’s a different item, just with the same name, generated by the beast instead of a mob drop.

You’re still missing the point.

I’m not. You’re claiming you can throw an item and pick it back up. We can’t.

Yeah, Blizz has always been terrible about funneling players to anywhere but Stormwind or Orgimmar, turning it into a self-perpetuating loop of feature exclusions for the other cities. “We send them all to Stormwind, so they don’t spend much time in Ironforge, which must mean they don’t like Ironforge that much, so we won’t update Ironforge which means they won’t like Ironforge more, so they’ll keep going to Stormwind, so they don’t spend much time in Ironforge…”

Why can’t every capital have its own portal-o-rama chamber now that the basic functions of the room have been hammered out and it’s an instanced alcove anyway? Or a trading post spot in every city to help out with the entirely predictable lag of having potentially dozens of people trying to use the same set of vendors at one time?

1 Like

Okay let’s walk through this step by step.

You have an item in your bags. Call it “Beige Loveseat”. You interact with the item, it gives you a targeting thing like a cozy fire, you click and it appears in world.

Now let’s say you want to move it. Maybe there’s an edit mode or something so that you aren’t accidentally throwing couches around every time you walk through your house, but you do that and click the couch. It makes that “Beige Loveseat” item in your inventory again. You go put it somewhere else.

That is the same principle as the ball.

No, when you feed the trolls, they win.

Not really. You say you can pick up the couch after throwing it, I’m saying with current engine, you can’t do that. You can’t pick up deathfang’s favorite toy unless deathfang first interacted with it, who then generates another toy that you can interact with it.

And to make the engine able to do that could (I’m no expert, far from it) take away a lot of dev time I’d rather they put into something else I may or may not like instead of something I know I won’t care for.

Yes, you can. Go try the world quest right now, I’m sure it’s up.

If Deathfang doesn’t get to the ball (which he did sometimes if another player was moving him around) then you could pick the ball back up.

1 Like

Guess my memory is hazy but I remember constantly having to go kill the mobs for another skull because it wasn’t picked up.

I’ve been in Valdrakken and Oribos since 10.0.
Not even that has happened.
The most “social interaction” I’ve ever had was using other people’s mammoths and longbois.

Mine is a very low pop BR server, such things simply don’t happen here.
Neither they did when I played in Shadowmoon.

In my experience, social interaction, when it does happen, is in events/questing/dungeons, NEVER in towns (obvious exception: when quests/events happen in town). EVER.

Over the last FIFTEEN YEARS.

1 Like

Every topic about this is completely meaningless unless they actually decide to put this in.

Otherwise, it’s just bunch of people arguing about hypotheticals which can be fun at times. I think it’s been done to death at this point.

We really should expect more from Blizzard. I don’t get why we, as a player community, provide excuses on the developer’s behalf.

Regardless of all the reasons… player housing is a compelling feature for some and we should expect a feature like this to be done to a level of fidelity that is representative of the Warcraft brand. They shouldn’t cut corners. They shouldn’t skimp on a raid tier to make it happen. It should ROCK.

This company makes an inordinate amount of money. The reason we don’t have a real housing feature and any reason it could be subpar if released in the future are on ActiBlizz as a company.

5 Likes

This is indeed a problem, but a problem that could be easily fixed.

Pay for a realm transfer to a full realm and you won’t regret it. It’s not expensive.

Would strongly suggest Moonguard if you’re into RP and the likes. … also furries lol

WoW players still live in the early 2000s, they haven’t caught up to Modern MMOs yet.

It’s been proven across several MMOs that Player Housing does not have a major effect on City populations.

I don’t know what your talking about but, I’m enjoying the garrison feature. It gives me a place to put my characters when I’m not using them or just a place to stuff myself in when I don’t want to interact with anyone. It’s nice for a change.

Do housing like ESO except instead of worrying about changing the engine so you can move stuff around like ESO housing, have fixed positions for things like tables, sofas, chairs, paintings, trophies, etc.
Then as we farm them we have a collection panel like toys, mounts etc that we can place found objects into those fixed spots.

And yeah…this WILL get a lot of attention because a huge number of us are already collecting mogs, mounts, pets, etc.
one more thing to farm appearances for isnt going to run anyone off and it might keep them subbed.

The garrison failed because it was all consuming.
dont do that.
No AH
No bank
No questing inside the house.
No mission tables
No nothing but “appearances”.
Nothing to do inside the housing except walk around looking at the stuff you farmed and having a place to settle between game sessions.
Then it wont turn into another garrison fail but it will keep casuals farming and subbed for the next decade or so.

2 Likes