Unofficial Sethrak Discussion Thread šŸ

I can empathize with the sentiment, though. For whatever reason, it seems like the developers just arenā€™t interested in expanding what the Alliance could be. Sethrak would be a big step in the right direction, but so far the Alliance is very much the safe, traditional faction where humans, elves, and dwares stand hand in hand without much of any conflict between them. Theyā€™re safe, boring, and predictable to a fault.

Which, ironically, is what makes the Devoted such a good fit for them. Vorrik is every bit as boring and stale a character as any other Alliance leader, and I donā€™t mean to offend anyone by saying that, but he really just is. Heā€™s perfectly nice to everyone and his only qualms are with objectively evil people (or thieving children, I guess).

Visuals aside, vulpera and sethrak each suit the Horde and Alliance, respectively. Vulpera have a lot in common with the tauren story, and sethrak share a lot of similarities with draenei.

Has Vorrik made any comment about the Battle for Dazarā€™alor? I wonder how heā€™d feel about the Allianceā€™s ā€œnoble withdrawā€ where they ā€œallowedā€ the Zandalari time to mourn for their king. Regardless, Iā€™m sure Vorrik thinks the whole faction war is stupid and inconsequential compared to the threat posed by the Old Gods.

4 Likes

Yay, i was the 100th like.

1 Like

He has not.

What concerns me about the sethrak is that they come across like an abandoned plot thread. The official ā€œendā€ of their story is the temple of Sethraliss dungeon, but thereā€™s no actual conclusion to it. After yoy restore Sethraliss to the temple everyone just sort ofā€¦ stares at youā€¦

Even the vulpera had a role to play in 8.1. But the sethrak are totally ignored, even when Volā€™dun becomes a battleground.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m not blind to the strong possibility theyā€™re just left to irrelevance, and that the whole story with Vorrik meeting the 7th Legion was just put there to justify Alliance players doing some world quests in Volā€™dun later.

Sethraliss at least shows up for Talanjiā€™s coronation, and in the Childrenā€™s Day quests we learn from Vorrik that sheā€™s still regaining her power.

I think what keeps me interested is all the little things surrounding sethrak. All the various tweaks made to their models back in beta, the appearance of a sethrak as a playable character in Hearthstone and their continued addition alongside vulpera as new cards, etc.

Iā€™d say it ultimately just depends on where 8.3 and 9.0 go with the story. If we end up taking on the old gods, well, thereā€™s a small but still decent chance we could see the Devoted appear as a proper reputation faction. The only Devoted attached to the Voldunai is the flight master, if Wowhead is accurate. I think thatā€™s interesting.

5 Likes

One thing I find interesting is that the sethrak magic gems seem to have affinity for shadow magic as well as lightning. Even if the sethrak themselves does not use shadow magic (although the faithless are trying to learn to do it).
As seen in the quest ā€œReturn to dustā€ where a secret forsaken squad retrieve a sethrak skycaller gem and then proceeds to blast a faithless group to ashes with lightning and shadow. They also say that Sylvanas would be interested in this before they head off.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s also the world quest, ā€œRunning Interference,ā€ where Alliance players protect Arcanist Elleryn from Horde scouts as she tries to study a sethrak barrier. When completing the quest, she thanks the player and says the Horde should never have access to that kind of magic.

Magister Umbric also expresses interest in the magic sethrak use when Alliance players recruit him as a follower in ā€œChampion: Magister Umbric,ā€ so thereā€™s definitely something going on there for both factions to dig into.

3 Likes

The real question is whether or not they actually WANT to side with either one, or more importantly, if Sethraliss wants them to side with either one.

1 Like

I just passed a Sethrak in a Volā€™dum ruin!

I am invisible, but when passing close to her, to my surprise she said she knew of my presence, because her tongue itched with my smell!

And after that I remembered that snakes use their tongues to sniff a target!

Well, I figured one of the sethrak races could be to capture targets and hidden objects!
Something like the spectral vision of demon hunters?

3 Likes

I love this idea and the work you have put into this is really amazing.

But given its a race maybe have it a lessened version? either longer CD or it greys out your screen making it harder to see the enviroment (or things like Blizzard, Meteor, Traps) but it outlines living targets ie players and enemy NPCs.

Probs be a pain but its a thought to add lol.

1 Like

I donā€™t really see a problem with that, tbh.

Way back in the day humans had better stealth detection than the other races. Blizzard eventually took it out because it was hard to balance.

Iā€™d be surprised if Blizzard wanted to potentially revisit it with another race.

Isnā€™t this the same Blizzard that created Demon Hunter?

1 Like

Pretty much, yeah.

/tongue flick

1 Like

Yeah, but thereā€™s a difference between a class ability and a race ability.

They can give Demon Hunters spectral sight and say itā€™s because DHs are meant to counter Rogues and Druids, but that doesnā€™t make it fair for Sethrak of any class to be able to do that while other races are SOL.

True that, could just slightly increase there detection range of invisibility, makes them slightly like Humans from old WoW and doesnā€™t really stop Rogues being outraced lol, i got great eyesight and notice every movement around and they still get me sometimes.

Plus they could just make it NPC only detection radius, after all Alliance cant have OP racials remember lol.

Honestly, I could see another racial being the ability to dig underground and travel faster while being invulnerable but at the cost of not being able to interact with anything until you came up and even then it canā€™t be used in combat.

Right up until the end i was thinking ā€˜even Blizzard isnt dumb enough to make a racial for Horde that goodā€™ until i saw the no combat part then i fell in love with it lol

Danger noodles for the Horde! If the alliance winds up getting the nope ropes Iā€™m going to be so miffed.

1 Like