Unofficial Sethrak Discussion Thread 🐍

You might consider that, but there are people who believe that because they are devoted to a loa, they are closer to zandalars.

As if night elves were closer to humans and draeneis, because of their religious beliefs!

But zandalars worship many loas and sethraks only bow to Sethraliss
And even if Sethraliss attends to other devotees of other races, his fondness for his own children is very obvious!

Well, while Alliance can expect nothing from sethraks for the present or future, I still would very much like to see this breed as usable for players, even if it’s in the horde! Sethraks are a unique looking breed and add more race diversity to the game! that would be great!

1 Like

The Sethrak’s worship of Sethraliss is closer to Cenarius/Naaru, than the Polytheistic Zandalari.

The fact that they worship a Wild God, is the only thing that relates them to the Horde.

1 Like

Their story have a lot of parallels Draenei yes, but I fail to see how they’re extremely similar to the worgen?
We could also make comparisons to the Zandalari: Both are lead by a priest with very strong connection to the Loa, both suffered heavily from an internal conflict that almost destroyed their factions, both of their evil factions dealt with bad old god Gh’uun stuff.
Also, I’d argue that the race they have the closest relationship with currently is the zandalari. Shared common history as allies and worshippers of Sethraliss. Even if you don’t count that old history due to their long break as being active allies with each other after the trolls left Vol’dun, due to it becoming too harsh to live in after Sethraliss death. Due to how the horde and zandalari helped push back the faithless and rescue Sethraliss.

You seem to only focus on how they worship and ignore what the factions have done for them, shared common history, etc.
Draenei worship the light and many Naaru.
the night elves worship Elune and others, Elune is actually in a pantheon of gods in Kaldorei worship, just that she overshadows them so much and it haven’t been expanded on except mentioned in lore. And they also revere and worship the ancient wild gods to boot.
How is that closer to the Sethrak worship than zandalari trolls literally worshipping the very same loa the sethrak worship?
It’s not uncommon for zandalari to devote themselves to one loa either.

Currently with the story we have they’re closer to the horde due to their involvement in Vol’dun and especially Zandalari. That can change however if blizz wish it to be.

1 Like

The Sethrak are monotheistic. The Zandalari worship whatever they want. Talanji is a runt, and they switched Loa’s without much issue. Vorrick would never agree to such a thing.

Sethrak never dealed with Ghuun or the Blood Trolls directly. Their main issue was Mythrax, who served Ghuun moreso of his desire to weaken the world for the other old gods than the mindless slug.

An internal conflict within their race puts them more in line with the Draenei. The Blood Trolls are far, far removed from the Zandalari. Faithless are more similar to Naga/Man’ari than they are mindless blood god cultists.

2 Likes

They’re hardly close with the Zandalari. Maybe in ancient times. But nowadays, what are Sethrak known for? Helping assault Zuldazar and freeing Ghuun. I don’t see any shrines to Sethraliss in Zuldazar. The Horde (as they usually do) screwed up horribly in preventing things from happening. They let Vorrik be kidnapped(again), and let Jakra’zet yeet himself into the old god pit.

I have literally seen 0 Zandalari worshipping her. Or even acknowledging that she exists. I’m not fighting Sethraliss lightningmancers in Zuldazar or Vol’dun.

1 Like

Talanji is young yes but she’s an exponential priest with an unusual deep connection to the loa. You also say that Vorrik would never agree with switching loa and I assume you mean worshipping many different ones? Because we’ve never seen him be hostile to others just because they didn’t worship Sethraliss or just one loa.
If anything the zandalari have always been a race that revere and worship many loa and yet they lived and allied just fine back in the day before Vol’dun became a desert. It’s not like the horde or zandalari are trying to convert the devoted or force them to worship many loa. So I’d imagine it’s fine in the eyes of the devoted.

Well, the faithless sethrak did deal with the blood trolls, so sure the devoted didn’t deal with the blood trolls directly but they did deal with troll followers of Gh’uun
which are in league with the faithless.
Also the reason Mythrax follow or aid Gh’uun is not relevant in this context as the outcome is the same, they’re allies and on the same side which is a threat to both the sethrak and the zandalari.

The followers of Gh’uun are not just blood trolls, they’ve infiltrated the empire and there’s many regular trolls in the empire that started following him and the corruption goes as far up as to the old zanchuli council.

Yes, they’ve not been close at all for millennia, the faithless being hostile to everyone for who knows how long didn’t help either. However sethrak live long lives and should remember that they used to be old allies and it’s very possible. We now know that it’s spoken about friendly sethrak that want peace in the zandalari empire as well. We even have a sethrak vendor and a priest of Sethraliss in Dazar’alor which appear after if you’ve completed the Vol’dun questline on horde.
And yes there’s no shrine to her because she’s been dead for 16k years I’d imagine.

Yes the horde did fail in preventing the resurrection of Mythrax but to be fair they did everything in their power with the manpower they had. They also saved Sethraliss and dealt a fatal blow to the faithless empire. The horde also fix their mess by ending the threat once and for all in Uldir.

Also, I would not blame Vorrik getting kidnapped on either faction, but if I did it would most certainly not be on the horde. The alliance meet the devoted first, save Vorrik and repel the faithless attack and then they leave and don’t care about the devoted anymore apparently. When the horde arrive and meet Vorrik for their first time the faithless have already attacked again and captured Vorrik. So if anything it’s the alliance that didn’t do anything after they’ve learned of the devoted.

No we haven’t seen any in game but it should not take long as the zandalari is all about the loa, it should just be a matter of time before some start following her as their main loa.
The very fact that the priest of Sethraliss is allowed into Dazar’alor and to be with the other loa priests, even at the very coronation of Talanji is recognition.

Also Rakera which helped the player and the devoted in Vol’dun is now on the Zanchuli council and she says " Were it not for the mercy of Sethraliss, I doubt we would have made it out of Atul’Aman alive.".
This is even before her ressurrection so clearly the devoted have rubbed off on her.

She’s more similar to Anduin, than she is Vorrik. Velen shares more in common with him.

Again. The Faithless are more similar to Man’ari than they are Blood God Cultists. The Faithless aren’t worshipping him, or bowing. They just see Mythrax and all of that as a tool to be used. Compared to the Zandalari kowtowing to the Blood Slug.

Uh oh, a single vendor! I guess Alliance should get Tuskarr because there’s one in Boralus. I thought the Zandalari would keep shrines up for Loa. Rezan is dead, but he still has an entire temple and followers. The Nelves kept revering their wild gods after death, the Zandalari don’t. Sethrak fit the Alliance far more than they do the Horde, culturally.

The Alliance saved Vorrik and saved the temple easily enough. If they were on Zandalar in force, they could have done the exact same and probably better than the Horde. Alliance helped the Nightborne a ton in Suramar, but they went Horde due to similarities with Blood Elves. Same thing will happen if they become an allied race. They won’t join the horde due to said differences.

3 Likes

I agree with that actually, that his story have more parallels with Velens. but as I said before, just becuse there’s parallels does not automatically mean they will get along. Although I think Velen and Vorrik would in this case get along but that’s not due to their similar backstory.

Sure a single vendor is not much on it’s own, but you have to put it into the context that the vendor and another sethrak npc appear after the devoted got aid from the zandalari which would signify that they’ve started to interact on friendly terms again and that the priest is not a single one off sethrak.
The zandalari do also keep worshipping dead loa and revere them as they believe that loa can be reborn. However Sethraliss was gone for 16k years, which is quite a long time and it’s not strange that the trolls slowly stopped actively worshipping her, we know from archeology that at least some trolls kept worshipping her when Vol’dun had transformed into a desert, not sure when they disappeared though.
Also, I think they culturally do fit more into the horde if you look at their belief system and common history. However, they would bring a lot more spice to the alliance if they joined them. It’s possible but it’s just that I don’t see them go that way without more story pushing them away from the horde and zandalari.

Yes, the alliance did save Vorrik and the terrace easily enough, and they actually have a larger force in Vol’dun than the horde at that time, just look at the harbour it’s a massive foothold with a lot of soldiers. So yes they could have done the same and even better I’m sure, they had more men and resources than the horde did, but in the end, they didn’t help the devoted anymore after making their foothold and the horde had to save the devoted instead.

Yes the alliance did help a lot in Surumar, both factions helped equally there which is not the case here. And even then the nightborne wanted to ally firstmost with their ancient kin the night elves, and only went to join the belves after they realized that the night elves wanted nothing to do with them while the belves welcomed them.

They would get along precisely because of that. They’re the same story, told differently.

They don’t at all, the Horde is filled with former slave races and species banding together for survival. The Sethrak were never slaves, or being hunted to extinction. They’re a proud, ancient, civilized race brought low from an internal conflict. Look at the Kal’dorei, The Draenei, The dwarves and the WoTH, Gnomes and the nuking of Gnomeregan, Humans and the Scourge.

Like the lion’s share of Alliance races, their greatest threat rose from within. The only thing the Sethrak share in common with the Horde, is that they worship a single loa, and that they were close to Zandalar in times gone by.

Except Wyrmbane explicitly states that the Alliance may need to rely upon them again. If the game is going to be scaled correctly, Shatterstone is a decent ways away from the Temple. The devoted probably did send a courier, or try to, before the Horde showed up.

“Hey, you all secluded yourselves and didn’t help in the war against Azshara and the Legion. How do I know you won’t turn your backs on us and become the next Elisande, or Azshara?”

“We will destroy the Nightwell and the Legion, and after that, we will see if Elune thinks it pertinent”

Immediately sides with the Belves and helps burn down Teldrassil

The Nightborne are just purple Blood Elves. They’re as arrogant and vain, they’d never fit on the Alliance.

1 Like

Having the most similar backstory is not everything. Shared history and relations are more important.

The sethrak were never slaves but the devoted faction of the sethrak was being hunted to extinction as the terrace is the last hold out for them.
betrayal and internal conflict is not unique to the alliance, the nightborne, orcs, zandalari and tauren all experienced betrayal and internal fighting.

Sure it’s possible but it does not change the fact that the horde saved them and the alliance did nothing.

I agree that they are arrogant and vain. However they didn’t actually take part in the burning of Teldrassil and Tyrande made it very clear she didn’t care for the nightborne in how she spoke to them and it’s more than her just asking her if she’s the next Elisandre.

As a point of clarification, Sethraliss actually does show up as one of the loa overseeing Talanji’s trial for the throne in the Zandalari unlock scenario. While it’s true that there are no shrines to Sethraliss or overt worshippers anywhere in Zuldazar, it’s clear that she’s still part of the overall loa pantheon.

2 Likes

In any case, at least there is a chance that sethraks are a playable race, since Sethraliss participates in the pantheon of Loas, even if only in the horde!

How about the alliance?
Just invent a new horse or something shameful! Pygmies?
No one cares much about the alliance to try to think of something remarkable!

2 Likes

Im afraid Alliance will get trash gnomes and shiny undead. :unamused:

3 Likes

To have a winner, there must be a loser!

Give snek. No negotiations. :fist:

10 Likes

Red or blue, I just want to play as one.

2 Likes

If sethraks are a possibility, it will be red!
Don’t expect something good on the blue side!
On the blue side only kultirans and junkgnomes!:unamused:

1 Like

Hey, to each their own. I’m hoping for sethrak too, regardless of faction, but as an Alliance loyalist I’ve been pretty happy with British pirates, wicker druids, and little cyborgs.

If someone’s genuinely envious of the Horde, then maybe they need to grapple with the fact that what they really want is to just switch over to Horde. Alliance has been getting pretty cool stuff too.

3 Likes

Better hope they are on horde, as we can only hope for things like kultiras and gnomes made from saved parts, it is not in the alliance that they will waste anything remarkable! Horses!

It is not jealousy but disgust to always take the tampered version of something or something given as a consolation prize!

And for me, kultiras and and junkgnomes are the very little that could be done and what comes at the worst time!

HAHAHAHA! Sure!

1 Like

Really does sound like you’d just be a lot happier over on the Horde, then. I don’t think “disgust” is ever something you should be feeling over a faction’s features in a video game.

5 Likes