Unofficial Sethrak Discussion Thread 🐍

And you still missed the important point I was making, that back in legion, horde had much longer time to grind rep with high mountain and suramar than alliance had with the army of the light and argussian reach. Many horde had access to their allied races right as they were released while many alliance had to grind rep because they had been ignoring it.

2 Likes

Void elves may have their reputation tied to Argus but they have little to nothing to do with Argus. Their only connection to the planet is Alleria harnessing the void there and she isn’t even a proper void elf like the playable ones, she’s a high elf that’s adept at void magic and helped them out since they were formerly her people. For all intents and purposes, they’re an Eastern Kingdoms race.

They could do something similar with Sethrak if they really wanted them to go to the Alliance. Just have the rep required for them only tangentially related to them.

3 Likes

Oh yes, I understand the story, and I would actually argue that Alleria is the proper void elf while the ones players got are abominations, but thats another topic.

The point I was making was that horde had access to the reputations for their allied races much longer than the alliance had access to ours. So if sethrak were to be done for alliance, not saying they are, it could be done through a future reputation in 8.3. Just because the 7th legion is the only reputation we get for working with them now and the fact that the 7th legion is a rep for dark iron dwarves does not invalidate the alliance claim to possible sethrak.

I personally think this could be one of those instances where we don’t need a reputation to gain an allied race.

Blizzard said they want to do more than just rep based allied races. They could do this with the Vulpera and Sethrak easily with a questline on both sides.

The Vulpera and Sethrak already are basically ready to be playable (Sethrak needs work of course, but it already has the heart of Azeroth animations along with special sleeping emotes and animation that work around capes). Vulpera are clearly already ready to be made playable, it’s only a matter of if (or when) they will be announced and playable.

Hopefully blizzard adds sethrak to the alliance, as the alliance really needs something like the sethrak to diversify it.

4 Likes

While I’d love this to be true, I just don’t see it happening, personally. I mean, to even unlock allied races from Legion, you had to both purchase BFA and complete their associated reputation grinds. Even if sethrak and vulpera were tied to buying the next expansion, I can’t see either of them not requiring exalted with somebody. That said, if they broke the mold, I wouldn’t mind.

Either way, I’d like to see Sethraliss and her Devoted resurface in the story. I think it’d be really cool to get to see them both helping us out against the old gods and their minions, since until now all we’ve heard is that they fought them before.

Sethrak definitely need a lot more work, but all the tweaks that happened with their model and animation set back in beta leads me to believe that they at least considered the idea. Whether or not they’ll move forward with it, who knows? I dearly hope so, but I’d only have myself to blame if I expected them to and then they didn’t.

I think the biggest thing that gets me is the appearance of the tabard geoset on sethrak. There was no reason to add it, and it wasn’t a “bug” because somebody had to place the rear tabard flap on top of the sethrak’s tail. Worgen don’t even have tails, so there’s no way that was an artifact of their original model, either.

2 Likes

Oh yeah that’s pretty much all but guaranteed if they do give them to the Alliance. Unless they can somehow come up with enough of a stretch to connect them to Storm’s Wake or the Order of Embers.

Personally, I don’t see the big deal if that’s the case. Chances are the rep will be available for months before they’re added as playable race, so if Alliance players play regularly they’ll be exalted by the time they’re out and Alliance and Horde players will be able to unlock their allied races on day one. Idk why Waidmann was making such a big deal about it.

It seems unlikely to me that Sethrak will become an allied race of the Alliance. The only real reason people assumed they would be is because Vulpera seemed like such an obvious choice for a Horde race and there really wasn’t any other race close enough to be considered worthy of Alliance. But the real problem is that Blizzard develops Horde stuff before Alliance, so while they were putting the finishing touches on Vulpera, they probably only just begun working the the Alliance one. So Vulpera didn’t have their obvious counterpart by the time and people just assumed the next best thing would be Alliance.

3 Likes

I would happily play a Sethrak character, bonus points if there’s no/little sexual dimorphism.

4 Likes

To be fair, a lot of allied reps require races they don’t have anything to do with.

Void Elves/Argussian Reach.

Mag’har/Honorbound.

Arguably Dark Irons/7th Legion (although at least the 7th Legion has a few DI members).

1 Like

Yeah, that was my point lol

Yea that Argussian Reach one i think they paniced with because they werent going to give the Alliance a single rep required race but give Horde 2 rep required ones as Krokuul Broken seemed almost playable right there (they even got new model updates in Legion).

Least most of them had a proper rep to them.

Only the Waveblade is dying out, the other Ankoan clans are doing fine.

Is there a source for that? Because that’s not how they made it sound at Blizzcon.

I know in game they mention other clans, but there’s nothing I’ve seen to indicate whether they’re doing fine or wiped out.

the in-game content in Nazjatar clarifies that they’re a race consisting of multiple clans. Can’t recall where I heard/read it. Alot of the burial shrines you can find aren’t from the Waveblade.

Considering they roam they sea, and aren’t near Nazjatar. I’m assuming they’re fine.

In other words, no source. But still a possibility.

Pretty sure the other Ankoan Clans are gone or dying out, the Waveblade bring those from lost clans into theres and are taking the fight to Azshara, as i can’t be bothered to find a proper link (due to being sick) just giving you the wowpedia one which on the first sentences has the word ‘Extinction’ on it https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ankoan

As for that Blizcon thing they made it sound like there was only a single Ankoan clan in the games lore but in-game show several.

they say that the waveblade are the only ankoan who decided to fight the naga

In the introductory questline for the Ankoan, the guy that saves you and says his people will cause a distraction to allow you to sneak by also says that there are other clans of Ankoan, but only the Waveblade chose to fight against Queen Azshara and her Naga. This can be interpreted to be the reason for the Waveblade dying out, and if no other clans are opposing her, they are either avoiding or enslaved by her. So other clans could possibly not have a population crisis, but that is just interpretation.

I’d honestly be okay with them coming from just purchasing the next expansion.

1 Like

What, as like a preorder/special edition exclusive? I don’t think blizz would lock a race behind those things.