Unofficial Sethrak Discussion Thread 🐍

Here is the article he wrote in its entirety:

“I observed on one of the drums belonging to the marines now raising, there was painted a Rattle-Snake, with this modest motto under it, “Don’t tread on me.” As I know it is the custom to have some device on the arms of every country, I supposed this may have been intended for the arms of America; and as I have nothing to do with public affairs, and as my time is perfectly my own, in order to divert an idle hour, I sat down to guess what could have been intended by this uncommon device – I took care, however, to consult on this occasion a person who is acquainted with heraldry, from whom I learned, that it is a rule among the learned of that science “That the worthy properties of the animal, in the crest-born, shall be considered,” and, “That the base ones cannot have been intended;” he likewise informed me that the ancients considered the serpent as an emblem of wisdom, and in a certain attitude of endless duration – both which circumstances I suppose may have been had in view. Having gained this intelligence, and recollecting that countries are sometimes represented by animals peculiar to them, it occurred to me that the Rattle-Snake is found in no other quarter of the world besides America, and may therefore have been chosen, on that account, to represent her.

But then “the worldly properties” of a Snake I judged would be hard to point out. This rather raised than suppressed my curiosity, and having frequently seen the Rattle-Snake, I ran over in my mind every property by which she was distinguished, not only from other animals, but from those of the same genus or class of animals, endeavoring to fix some meaning to each, not wholly inconsistent with common sense.

I recollected that her eye excelled in brightness, that of any other animal, and that she has no eye-lids. She may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance. She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage. As if anxious to prevent all pretensions of quarreling with her, the weapons with which nature has furnished her, she conceals in the roof of her mouth, so that, to those who are unacquainted with her, she appears to be a most defenseless animal; and even when those weapons are shown and extended for her defense, they appear weak and contemptible; but their wounds however small, are decisive and fatal. Conscious of this, she never wounds 'till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of treading on her.

Was I wrong, Sir, in thinking this a strong picture of the temper and conduct of America ? The poison of her teeth is the necessary means of digesting her food, and at the same time is certain destruction to her enemies. This may be understood to intimate that those things which are destructive to our enemies, may be to us not only harmless, but absolutely necessary to our existence. I confess I was wholly at a loss what to make of the rattles, 'till I went back and counted them and found them just thirteen, exactly the number of the Colonies united in America; and I recollected too that this was the only part of the Snake which increased in numbers. Perhaps it might be only fancy, but, I conceited the painter had shown a half formed additional rattle, which, I suppose, may have been intended to represent the province of Canada.

’Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together, so as never to be separated but by breaking them to pieces. One of those rattles singly, is incapable of producing sound, but the ringing of thirteen together, is sufficient to alarm the boldest man living.

The Rattle-Snake is solitary, and associates with her kind only when it is necessary for their preservation. In winter, the warmth of a number together will preserve their lives, while singly, they would probably perish. The power of fascination attributed to her, by a generous construction, may be understood to mean, that those who consider the liberty and blessings which America affords, and once come over to her, never afterwards leave her, but spend their lives with her. She strongly resembles America in this, that she is beautiful in youth and her beauty increaseth with her age, her tongue also is blue and forked as the lightning, and her abode is among impenetrable rocks."
-Benjamin Franklin

Lot of good stuff. Lot of potential applications to our Sethrak!

4 Likes

They are, it’s too bad that they picked up a reputation for being stupid/drowning themselves when they are actually pretty clever, like chickens… they are almost slandered as bad as the poor dodo!

1 Like

Alot of bad rep to animals is past stories both made up and singled out members of said species as well as a corporate media since morales = less money (gambling whaling conference straight up said it), like alot of people until recently didnt know that Pigs have a wide array of emotions and a brilliant memory (just not sentient enough to work it fully) and only reason it was withheld is because it creates a huge morale issue for the Pork Industry because eating a Semi Sentient or Near Sentient animal is wrong in a sense (ie dogs, cats, monkeys, magpies).

If you have not already, drop an in game suggestion for playable Sethrak via the in-game suggestion box under the Help tab! :heart::snake:

Spread the Sethrak love and be vocal.

Re-suggesting this because not everyone who checks out the thread reads past the few newest posts.

1 Like

Once a week every wednsday after reset is when i do it.

1 Like

Hm. Maybe a good idea.

you shouldn’t spam them with it.
Its kinda rude

Them not giving us Sethrak or confirming or denying that there will be anymore allied races for BfA is kinda rude. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I still firmly believe, Mechagnomes will not be the final Allied Race, sort of nail in the coffin for Alliance :cry:.

Blizzard has an ace up their sleeves I’m sure, they probably working right now on Sethrak figuring out the Armours and how they will fit :grin:

6 Likes

That’s the spirit! Let’s be positive. The Holidays are here. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Also, it occurred to me. Couldn’t Blizzard open up the Voldunai rep for Alliance? So A, we can rep grind for Vulpera for Horde on Alliance toons. Or B, the rep grind for Voldunai would give Alliance the Sethrak.

1 Like

They will be.

Why?

Do you see all of the jokes horde players make about the alliance? You know, the mocking jokes they use to dismiss our complaints and arguments when we try to talk about faction balance?

Take the mental image it must require to come up with that garbage.

That’s what the devs actually think alliance players are.

It’s why worgen females don’t look very wolf-like.
It’s why our Draenei are so clean-looking instead of being the broken draenei from outland.
It’s why the lightbound are just reskins and not something more exciting.

The devs have this idea in their heads that alliance players are not “wow players”, but are instead some kind of fragile group of children or something.

Guilds of easily offended house-wives and house-husbands who just look at the big, nasty horde races and get the vapors.

The devs don’t understand half of their playerbase because they somehow enshrined the horde identity into their hiring practices.

Their idea of what Alliance players are is “cartoonish” rather than realistic.

It’s insulting.

…because “insulting” is the only way to describe the mechagnomes.

3 Likes

Your optimism is encouraging!:+1:

If they’re making gnomes that can’t wear pants, they can do sethraks that can’t wear helmets.

I can dispense with head gears if it’s to have a sethrak.

Sethraliss let it be! :snake::pray:

5 Likes

I am satisfied with the current model of worgen female

3 Likes

I’m taking away from this, that Sethrak are cartoonish and therefore should be on the Alliance. :heart::+1:

3 Likes

Just saw a silly joke on my fb feed that could work for Sethrak.

“What’s 8 minus 3?”

“I don’t know, I’m an adder.”

Also, I was wrong about this. Voldunai is only composed of Vulpera and Zandalari. A different faction would have to be used. Perhaps an initially scrapped one like Tatty suggested with how the Bee mount was implemented or an entirely new one such as the ones we’ve already suggested or something else new that we don’t know of yet.

But Sethraliss let it be, either way! :heart::snake:

3 Likes

I understand why you feel so beaten down but I don’t think its hopeless yet. There are a few upper folks that do like Alliance and they do seem to be hearing the big complaints (Giving us a bee for all those horses and going as far as making it Alliance Only even). They are slowly trying to bridge the gaps and give us some grit.

I think from the Gnome players perspective mechagnomes and a little gnome focus is probably nice and as meme-y as diaper gnomes/trash toddlers are they do have fans. Maybe I am just sympathetic though because I myself am a “waste of space, stupid” AR haha.

That does sound like the Helfers to be fair :wink:

2 Likes

But there is nothing wrong with junkgnomes.
It was Blizzard’s mistake to put junkgnomes against vulperas.
This killed any chance of the cyber version of gnome being appreciated.

Blizz already get it wrong, when the name used by blizzard directs players to the mechagnomes we see in Nothrend.
But that is not what we see in Kultiras. There we see a cyber version.
Cybergnomes. Another compromise was given to ally.
As if void belves with his shallow lore and sindorei model were not impoverishing.

So the devs act without taking things like popularity, expectation and timing and give ally something disheartening again.
Another Corrupted Wish.

It would be nice to have something that would bring pride and prestige to the alliance.
We might well regain some of our own love if the race chosen this time could be sethrak. :snake:

2 Likes

For sure, I’ve always agreed that Mechagnomes would have been more welcomed if paired with a more equivalent AR.

I may never see the appeal of them even fully cyber but I just dislike mechanical stuff.

Thats exactly the reason I think that so many reject the Mechagnomes (Junkergnomes). Like if Sethrak and Vulpera had come out I bet no one would have had nearly as many issues.

Then later have Junkergnomes and… lightforged undead for horde? I dont know…

also; Sethrak sethrak sethrak!

6 Likes

I just wanted to pop in and say Happy Holidays and a fortunate new year. You guys have been at this as long as the Vulpera fans and I know it hasn’t always been as easy for you guys to keep up hope. But I think I speak for the entire caravan when I say I’m hoping you guys get good news in Shadowlands.

10 Likes