Unofficial Sethrak Discussion Thread 🐍

They weren’t all that secretive with Mechagnomes either, what with things like dances and brewfest icons being leaked months before the official reveal.

They may try to keep things secret but the reality is they leave a lot of breadcrumbs behind. Stuff gets left in that they don’t notice or just don’t realize the implications of.

And we haven’t seen anything indicating that for Sethrak. If they are planned, they’re so far out that no data for them is in the game yet.

1 Like

Honestly Sethrak look more like a NPC model with cloak/tabard graphics than a Player Model; they still have all their armor baked into the model just like other NPC races, and we’d have to look at the texture mapping to see if they are made to use player textures even.

Friendly to horde or alliance?

Good question, only Mogu i recall that were non hostile to the Horde were those enslaved and tortured when Garrosh was looking for the Divine Bell in Pandaria and honestly i figured that was the only way you’d see playable Mogu, enslaved but somehow respected how it was done being a Slaver Empire themselves, i wrote a Mogu for Horde template a long time ago that wouldn’t really apply to the better Horde we have going from 8.3 and onwards as it required a more Sylvanas or Garrosh Horde, and don’t think Talanji is huge on being a slaver for the Zandalari Empire either.

Might be Mogu survivors lead by a extremely rare female Mogu as most even thought only Lei Shen had the only 2 in existence (Mogu aren’t all stone they require females to reproduce after all) and given we get rehased zones next patch instead of a new one and one of them is the Vale of Eternal Blossoms ie a Mogu hotspot in the northwest.

Friendly to both.

Yeah, no. General Xing is 2nd in command. The leader (other than Ra’den) is a new Mogu named Stormspeaker Qian. The Rajani are all Jade Mogu except for him; including Xing herself, with pearl white thundering cloud serpents.

Its time to bring the Snek Bois home! Sethrak for Alliance 2020, break the cycle and trust the Snakes!

But seriously, they are so much different than other races, it would be a fresh breath of air for an Allied Race!

16 Likes

I’m still very interested in this datamined text from the Vulpera recruitment:

The serpentine sethrak have taken to subjugating anyone they can as slaves, and the vulpera are an easy target for their machinations. If you’ve taken steps to liberate the vulpera from these overseers, they’ll join the Horde on the battlefield.

It doesn’t specify Devoted or Faithless. Are the Vulpera having issues with slavery again purely with the Faithless? Did Vorrik’s plan to unite his people fall through? I want to see how this plays out regardless of potential Allied Race stuff. This is the first legit bit of Sethrak content since Children’s Day.

1 Like

It seems more likely that they severely distrust Sethrak as a whole because of what the Faithless have done.

They may look like they were built as all NPCs were prior to the skeleton overhaul, but the bottom line is they are not. Never mind the Vulpera, when first introduced, were in the exact same position, one example of which can still be seen in Freehold.

People asked for Vulpera, Blizzard saw interest, we now have Vulpera on the horizon. People ask for Sethrak to achieve the same goal. I just think it is disappointing they garnered more attention when BfA was revealed, but were overshadowed following the changes to Vulpera in the beta.

1 Like

Again, Vulpera were introduced with player armor compatibility and character customization FROM THE START.

I don’t get what are you trying to get by disagreeing with me on this. All I’m saying is that Vulpera (and Mechagnomes) were evidently introduced with player models; things Sethrak were NOT. This just talking model wise, cause narrative-wise is even more apparent they had no intention to build up the Sethrak as Alliance in the way they set up the Vulpera as Horde.

I believe that tells us that Blizz didn’t actually intended them to be an AR at the time of their introduction , nonetheless, that I personally hope they have changed their mind.

I disagree with this; by the time the beta hit, Vulpera already had their PC models and I seriously doubt they fast tracked it because of the Blizzcon reveal. IMO everything points to them considering Vulpera as playable since their inception.

But again, I don’t think that takes Sethrak out of the question, just makes them not intended from the beginning -but I will say that by keeping/making the geometry and rigging for capes and tabard at least someone wanted them, even if it was just the 3D artist who made them-.

At best, Sethrak were a big “TBD”, and now given that we are still missing the Worgen AR, I really hope they have went with Sethrak.

3 Likes

This is the thing that still stands out to me, as well as all the other little technical details of the way their model and sounds are set up.

They definitely weren’t planned as an allied race from the start, but somewhere, someone likely at least considered the possibility. Whether or not it went any further than, “Hey, we could totally fit player gear onto these if we wanted to” remains to be seen.

Considering the space on the banner, and the likelihood that the next allied race might be based on worgen, I think there’s a reasonable possibility it ends up being sethrak, especially with their appearance in Uldum in Hearthstone.

While I don’t think it’s much -like definitely it can be simply attributed to one single artist liking the idea and doing the extra work- it IS definitely more than other AR possibilities have.

And yeah, Blizz has already used stuff from HS to build up the WoW lore, so there is precedent, and the fact that the Sethrak lack of built up rapport with the alliance does reveal a lack of initial intention, it also means there’s a lot of possibility going forward.

They could even end up using the Ramakhen Accord rep for it!

1 Like

The Rajani in 8.3 are one such example of this.

1 Like

Indeed, seems that HS already introduced the seeds of Mogu working for Ra/him creating new Mogu to serve him.

I’m loving the potential of the Rajani tbh, glad they did something with the Forge and Ra.

1 Like

Very well! I already regurgitated the taste that junkgnomes left in my mouth!

Since Blizzard has given vulpera to goblins and junk gnomes to gnomes, it remains to be hoped that this is a possible standard for other playable races!

Still missing worgen, forsaken and pandaren!
We haven’t seen anything yet for these 3 races that still allow the chance of sethraks as a playable race!

So can we see worgen receiving sethrak and not a worgen-related race, as it was with goblin receiving vulpera, and forsaken some other race related to the dead?
If there’s consistency in Blizzard, maybe!

1 Like

I think that Sethrak make for probably one of the most interesting Allied Race possibilities in the entirety of wow! (Sorry Vulpera, love ya and ya are my favorites but Sethrak are far more interesting from a proportional standpoint)

Sethrak anatomy is just so unique and different from literally every other playable race in WoW. Their torsos and necks are so long, they have a long tail, everything about the body proportions is just so new and refreshing compared to every other player race. Seriously, I think they would stand out far more than any other player race in this game!

I also think that it holds a lot of unique lore opportunities for the Alliance. The Alliance need more “trouble” races in their fold. The Worgen are far too loyal to really cause a stir and it took the Night Elves having their tree burnt down to ruffle their jammies.

I think it would be interesting for the Sethrak, maybe even members of the Faithless, to take root in the Alliance with some very strong viewpoints to create some inner faction rumblings. Some sneaky snek politics if you will~ The Alliance needs some more shady members to really shake things up.

I feel like the Sethrak are both good for the game from a lore perspective AND from a unique player race perspective and yet not too unique to the point of being a new normal race. Given they go off of the Worgen Skeleton and all.

Bring on the Snek Bois, I think it would be great for WoW as a whole!

17 Likes

Something that occurred to me earlier:

Sethrak joining the Alliance would give that faction a race with a loa. They only seem to worship Sethraliss, so the lion’s share of loa would still remain neutral or Horde-affiliated, but it’d open the door to more story possibilities going forward.

Likewise, the Rajani mogu joining the Horde would give that faction a race with a very strong connection to the titans, considering they seem to be the creations of Ra-den.

6 Likes

Not only that it would give the horde access to Draenei animations/model with how the Mogu are modeled after

2 Likes

Despite both of them being classed as ‘new races’ after that ‘new race vs subrace’ crap i actually gotta admit Mogu or Jade Mogu vs Sethrak might be cool tbh, both are a highly lightning based race too with a god to them thats basically the same element, plus with Jade Mogu that unlocks another thing people haven’t noticed as well, a Mineral Based Race as Mogu come in both flesh cursed and stone/metal/jade similar to the Earthern races which adds a unique perspective (though does bring up a major reproduction issue since we don’t have living rocks irl to compare to).

EDIT: Also to throw some sh.it at Blizzard but the Jade is a decent thing over in China :wink:

3 Likes

Something that occurred to me earlier:
Sethrak joining the Alliance would give that faction a race with a loa. They only seem to worship Sethraliss, so the lion’s share of loa would still remain neutral or Horde-affiliated, but it’d open the door to more story possibilities going forward.

This! ^^
I once saw a video of Taliesin which he said exactly that and makes so much sense! Sethrak wouldn’t just be a cool looking addition to the Alliance, would be a way to make the faction more open minded and more diverse.