Unofficial Playable Furbolg Discussion Thread

They follow Ursoc and Ursol most.

As it happens both already have druid forms to represent them as of Legion.

3 Likes

Hmmm…perhaps a different approach then

2 Likes

I imagine they’d just make a less impressive bear form with slight differences to the Night Elven ones.

There isn’t any reason that the simple nature loving furbolg need something with pizzaz.

Perhaps adorned with feathers and pearl necklaces like the furbolg are now?

6 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking of the beaded look as well. Perhaps their bear form makes them more hulk-ish? Not sure if that’ll look cool or stupid, but I do like the idea of enhancing the look they have with the beads and feathers.

2 Likes

Blizzard could have some fun with it.

They’d never do it but a unique form of the werebear form would be really nice. Imagine many folk would flip their lids though. Lol

Hmm… I’m also trying to think of a good name for the furbolg faction.

Thinking the Furbolg Conclave. The scenario leading up to their becoming a single faction for the Alliance has them integrate several tribes together, but they retain their individual tribes under a council setup.

5 Likes

Thanks to Lancelot we have another class mockup: the hunter!

By Lancelot

Very nice!

Furbolg hunters are a important part of furbolg society often serving Ursoc both protecting their kin as well as providing food and leathers for the tribe.

:honey_pot: :bear:

4 Likes

And another one by Lancelot!

The furbolg Rogue!

By Lancelot

Now we don’t see Rogues much if at all among the furbolg (there are a few that stealth but they’re labeled hunters) but I’ve a concept I’ll discuss later about how they could be added along with warlocks in the lore.

That said I very much think that Rogue should be a class for all races regardless of that races ideology.

Thanks Lance!

6 Likes

Wow. You really took the time to write this all out. Beautiful job.

I wish they looked more grizzly bear and had a different look than the mage tower bear. Otherwise, ye :100:

2 Likes

Thank you!

I really like the furbolg and have wanted them playable for a long time. It feels great to work towards that.

When blizzard does add them I’m sure they won’t just plaster the Mt bear form onto Pandaren, so I’d imagine we’ll get something a little different.

The mockups are to show the potential for the race compared to what we have in game now and are not expected to be the in game playable model exactly.

I do imagine blizzard would work off of the furbolg we see in game to design an appropriate head.

6 Likes

Okay I was out all day so I couldn’t update actively but…

Lancelot has finished up all the class mockups through the Very Possible section!

Thank you Lance! Truly, this thread would not be what it is without you.

By Lancelot

The Monk!

While not seen among the furbolg I doubt it would be a hard sell. Their shamanistic nature would lend them well to this class and Ursol’s compassion and focus on balance beyond the physical would lend itself well to this class.

By Lancelot

The Death Knight!

I cannot imagine this class not being available given its just been given to all other races. Further furbolg have existed for a long time in both Northrend and Kalimdor. They’ve been around the Scourge and could easily have been raised in Arthas’ time. It also wouldn’t be hard for Bolvar to get his hands on plenty of them. So… for sure.

By Lancelot

and the Warlock!

Similar to the rogue I have a concept for this that I would like to talk about later but I think warlocks could fit for the furbolg given the proper lore lead up.

My general thought would have some furbolg that were attempted to be corrupted by the Saytr instead resist and learn how to use the magic themselves. Turning it on their corruptors and learning to pull the fel from other corrupted furbolg.

Again more on that later.

Amazing work and thank you again Lance!

7 Likes

Seeing these models make me wish I had the skill to do that with other races. They’re really neat and help visualize Furbolgs as a playable race, which I think is very important to show off.

Playable Alliance Furbolgs is a beat necessity! :honey_pot::bear:

5 Likes

No problem, happy to help!

I’ll have to look at finishing the last three when I have some time.

5 Likes

The Warlock Furbolg is where it’s at, just saying. :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

Doesn’t anyone remember Dartol’s Rod of Transformation:

The one that came for a quest, but the trick was to NOT turn in the quest, just keep the rod! I think all my Alliance characters still have that rod. It’s only good for 3 minutes, but it always gets some attention in Stormwind or wherever :slight_smile: Read the Wowhead comments for some of the peculiarities of this transformation (no dance, but kneel; able to run fast; etc.)

3 Likes

Of course we remember it.

Its a poor stand in for having a playable race for furbolg though.

Fun to use despite its limitations, I’m just looking for more.

4 Likes

They made a toy version of it, but unfortunately it has a 1 hour cooldown, because Blizzard doesn’t allow fun around these parts.
Stave of Fur and Claw - Item - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)

4 Likes

Bumping this for the furbolgs!

I support this request

To add this topic, a reason furbolg could choose to fight as a playable race is because they are always thrust into the conflict involuntarily. Baised on this they could grow weary of being pushed around and decide that it is time for them, the furbolg, to fight back!

3 Likes

Today I’d like to talk about the Timbermaw furbolg tribe and by extension a much older tribe the Blackmaw.

We’re going to start with the Blackmaw tribe, partially because there isn’t much to work on, partially because their contribution to history is actually significant and partially because they’re minorly linked to the Timbermaw.

Blackmaw Tribe

The Blackmaw furbolg, despite showing up in WoW only in Cata with the redesign of Aszhara, are the main tribe of furbolg that assisted the Night Elven Rebellion against Aszhara ten thousand years ago during the War of the Ancients. Its not explicitly said but its possible that the Blackmaw were the representatives of a more united furbolg of the time but that is only a suspicion and should not be considered canon. Alternatively its possible that their numbers have simply dwindled since that ancient time.

By the time of Cataclysm they’re settled at the former closed off entrance to Timbermaw hold in Aszhara engaged with Horde forces in the region and considering an alliance once again with their old allies the night elves. Horde forces however sabotage the negotiations and the Blackmaw believe the night elves betrayed them.

It should be noted that the Blackmaw are said to have broken ranks with the Timbermaw, indicating that they were either allied with them or that the Blackmaw from the War of the Ancients became the Timbermaw over time. Given that the Timbermaw have allied with other tribes in the past I think its likely that the two tribes, as corruption spread during the Third War, joined together in an alliance and held the caverns of Timbermaw Hold.

The Blackmaw tribes story seems to end there for now so lets move onto the Timbermaw proper.

Timbermaw Tribe

The Timbermaw tribe think of themselves as the last uncorrupted tribe of furbolg on Azeroth and have since become very wary of outsiders. Once they were allied with the Blackmaw, Deadwood and Winterfall tribes of furbolg but the Blackmaw broke off to fight with the Horde and the Winterfall and Deadwood furbolg fell to the corruption around them. (Both cases actually influenced by Saytr who find the furbolg easy targets.)

The Timbermaw are often though to possibly be the Felwood-Barkskin furbolg from WCIII however I think I can prove this isn’t true.

From the Wiki:

“When the corruption of the Burning Legion crept into the sacred forests of Kalimdor, it was the creatures of the wild who first felt its monstrous power. Once gentle animals were transformed into abominable, rabid killers; their flesh rent and their spirits desecrated, they quickly succumbed to the demons’ influence. Soon after, the furbolgs, the ursine children of the forest, suffered the same fate, as their entire species was driven mad by the surrounding corruption. However, amidst the chaos and the madness, one furbolg tribe escaped the darkness that had fallen on Kalimdor. In the safety of Timbermaw Hold, the furbolgs of the Timbermaw tribe weathered the storm, yet they were forced to watch helplessly as the forest they had loved so much was slowly turned into a twisted, festering perversion of its former self. When the spirits of the forest spoke to them no more, the Timbermaw knew that their home was gone… possibly, forever. The corruption had sunk in deep, so that even long after Illidan the Betrayer had consumed the source of the corruption, a powerful warlock artifact called the Skull of Gul’dan, and vanquished the demons’ leader Tichondrius, the taint on the woods still remained. And so, the dead forest became known only as Felwood.”

While wikis are not always the best source for canonical information this particular piece was once a part of World of Warcrafts official website explaining the faction.

Within it you can fairly clearly tell that the Timbermaw occupied both Felwood and the Timbermaw Hold before the forest of Felwood was made. The Felwood tribe which would later (likely) become the Barkskin tribe were from Ashenvale proper and then headed to Winterspring and later the Barrow Deeps.

The wording for these passages I feel would be different if they were associated with the furbolg who assisted the gathered armies during the battle for Mount Hjal during the Third War.

The Timbermaw tribe is well aware of the corruption that has befallen their people and are also very aware that the rest of the world tends to view them as a kill on sight enemy, so they are very careful with whom they do business. Defending themselves with anyone they do not know.

Luckily for us, we can prove our worth to them and gain access to the Timbermaw Hold and Winterspring and Moonglade beyond. Its actually rather easy these days on a max leveled character to farm up rep for them. I recommend using the Winterfall tribe to do so as they’re easier to get to in larger numbers than the Deadwood tribe.

The Timbermaw tribe had once been allied with the Deadwood furbolg of Felwood and the Winterfall furbolg of Winterspring, however both tribes fel to corruption and have become their enemies even taking some of their territory on both sides of the Hold.

And while I do not think it was ever accessible to players the Aszhara side of their cavern has been taken over by their former allies the Blackmaw tribe and the entrance in Timbermaw Hold sealed.

Other important things we can take away from what we know of the Timbermaw, is that they are masters of leatherworking and at crafting trinkets and healing totems. Common and obviously culturally significant parts of the furbolg tribes. Also their Hold is remarkable in that its a very large cavern between several regions. (In fact its the only ground path to Moonglade or Winterspring.)

There are some in the furbolg threads I’ve seen both here and on MMO champ and Reddit that think the Timbermaw would be a good candidate for the player furbolg, and on the surface I can see that reasoning. However I think the Timbermaw furbolg are too dedicated to neutrality to ever consider joining one side over the other. The Blackmaw broke from them to pursue a war with the Horde in Aszhara which tells me that the Timbermaw are unwilling to break neutrality even for allies. It would take the Horde attacking the Hold considerably before the Timbermaw would be willing to change their stance I think and I just cannot think of a good reason for the Horde to want to do so.

So whatever occurs to give us a playable furbolg faction, I do not think it would include the neutral Timbermaw, except maybe with them sending an Envoy to express their support otherwise remaining neutral.

This is a continuation of my talks on furbolg tribes. The previous two I will quote here.

Ursol guide you, Ursoc give you strength.

6 Likes

There is a new section “Furbolg Tribes” in the main post where I will link to the posts about individual tribes as I make them.

Much easier than trying to detail every tribe in the main post and gives me more to do.

4 Likes

I thought today instead of tackling another furbolg tribe I’d talk about another bear based race from a different game.

Let me introduce you to the Bulrathi.

These are ursine humanoids from the game Master of Orion. They’re big. They’re amazing fighters. And they will be very mad at you if you despoil a world.

They actually have several things in common with the furbolg of WoW. They’re focused on nature around them and protecting it. They have ferocious and capable warriors despite having generally lower end tech compared to their contemporaries. And also… they’re bears.

Of course there are significant differences too. A bulrathi is not so connected to the nature around them that they will fall easily to corruptive or destructive influences on that land. There is no magic in Master of Orion. They have technology and know full well how to use it. Also their culture is a bit more advanced as they are a spacefaring civilization and not relegated to small cloistered tribes.

Still I find it interesting that these two races, the Furbolg and the Bulrathi, have so many traits in common. In fact furbolg are generally lead by a shaman and a cheiftain and Bulrathi have what they call the Hags as their spiritual guides and generals as their leaders.

I also want to talk about Bulrathi because Blizzard could easily take some cues for furbolg from them if they make them a playable race. Focusing on the furbolgs warriors as being impressive, something we already see in the lore would be a wonderful thing to see, as well as considering a more upright model compared to what we have in game now. (Something that Lance’s mockups I think do a great job at while still maintaining the furbolg look we do have.)

The Bulrathi are also rather loved in that franchise and I think furbolg could be here for WoW as well. With more exposure that would come from them being playable and also having their culture and story increased as a result I could easily see them becoming one of the more loved Alliance races.

Ursol guide you, Ursoc give you strength.

6 Likes