Unofficial Night Elf Worgen Discussion Thread

Welcome to the Discussion on the Topic of a Potential Allied Race - Night Elf Worgen

The purpose of this thread is to discuss anything and everything extending from lore, appearance, potential stories, general opinions, etc. pertaining to Night Elf worgen. Everyone, regarding on how they feel about about these being implemented into the game, are welcome to post on this thread. Please be civil and if you do have opposing opinions, please feel free to add constructive criticism.

Lore: Who are the Night Elf Worgen and the Druids of the Scythe?

During the War of the Satyr, a group of Malfurion's druids were in a time of desperation. Many of them spoke of the "forbidden form" which was to take on a wolf form. The night elves called this "Pack Form." The problem is, due to its primal savagery and need for bloodshed, many lost themselves to this form and hardly anyone could actually control it. Even Malfurion himself almost gave into its rage.

As time went on, there were incidents where Pack form was used anyways by the druids named Ralaar and Arvell. Malfurion scolded the two and while Arvell made an oath never to use the form again, Ralaar pretty much said screw you. Ralaar went off to join other druids who had taken on the form. This group was known as the Druids of the Pack.

Arvell had fallen when he and his beloved, Belysra, were ambushed. Belysra (whom makes an appearance in Gilneas to help the afflicted mind you!) had originally believed that had Arvell used his Pack form, he would still be alive. In her despair, she found comfort in Ralaar. Taking the Staff of Elune and with Fang of Goldrinn, she called upon Elune to create the Scythe in hopes of having those in the pack form gain more power and control. In result of this scythe, they became the first worgen and have since renamed themselves the Druids of the Scythe.

During the war, the worgen charged into battle, killing the satyrs and legion alike but soon enough, they turned on the Night Elves. Just like in Gilneas, worgenism began to spread rapidly among the Kaldorei society. None were spared.

Belysra saw the errors of her ways and sought out Malfurion and the others. She forfeited the Scythe of Elune to him then they had tricked Ralaar and worgen, banished them into the Emerald Dream at the tree known as Daral'nir.

While some worgen have escaped from the Emerald Dream, such as Alpha Prime (Ralaar), many more still sleep within the Dream. Daral'nir is known to be the only place where the savagery of Goldrinn can be tamed. There is also a version of Daral'nir on Azeroth, many which have speculated it to be Tald'oren, the tree where the afflicted Gilnean underwent a ritual to regain their humanity.

So that sums up the lore... Now onto present day stuff!

Why would we wake them up now of all times?

We are at war. Desperate times comes desperate measures. I have no doubt in my mind that Malfurion and Tyrande, along with the rest of the Night Elves, will be absolutely devastated by this.

The Scythe of Elune has proven to be powerful enough to bring back a worgen's humanity. In fact, those who play a balance druid can go around Val'sharah to feral worgen npcs and cleanse them! All the more reason to bring these worgen into our ranks.

Video of the Scythe of Elune Balance Druid Easter Egg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvwTe1Lfw9w

Of course, since the Scythe of Elune's power has been depleted, the night elf worgen could undergo the same ritual of their Gilnean counterparts.

How would they even be introduced?

The aftermath of Teldrassil have left the Kaldorei in shock and angered. There have been word spreading of how the ancient worgen should be unleashed upon the Horde and be shown no mercy.

Out of pure speculation with how the story is thusfar with Battle for Azeroth, with Lordaeron now liberated from the Horde, it is entirely possible that we may see some love for Gilneas. As spoken in the Lore above, Gilneas as we know is where the tree Tal'doren is located, Daral'nir's opposite; the tree where the worgen were sent to slumber and where the Gilneans underwent a ritual to regain their humanity.

Malfurion asks the hero to accompany him into the Dream to encounter the very first worgen to exist at Daral'nir. He will approach Arvell, waking him from the Dream to offer him and his fellow worgen release. Not only will they be able to return to Azeroth but they will undergo the same ritual their Gilnean counterparts did to regain their humanity. Players will go through a series of small quests to bring the night elf worgen back to Azeroth, releasing them from the Dream, and assisting with the ritual.

That's all well and good but how will they relate to the Alliance as a whole?

If we happen to have a revamp of Gilneas, making it some sort of questing area or new capital for the Alliance, I am pretty sure Genn would return the favor that the Kaldorei had done for his people. With the night elves in Gilneas, they will also have access to Tal'doren, you know, that tree where the Gilnean worgen originally regained their humanity! This could serve as a hub for the Druids of the Scythe as they could often reflect upon their time at Daral'nir and continue to find their inner peace.

In Legion, I really believe Blizzard missed a great opportunity to expand Gilnean/Kaldorei relations. This in itself will present a HUGE opportunity lore wise as well as having Genn reflect upon the events of the Curse of the Worgen comic series. (I highly recommend this series to everyone. It's really good!)

The Night Elf Worgen were all druids though?

This is actually not true. While the bulk of the night elf worgen were druids, they had spread their affliction onto others. They were indiscriminate on who they bit. Sentinels, priestessses, archers, so forth were all suseptible to the affliction.

Here is a reference from the comic, Curse of the Worgen
https://imgur.com/a/sXTsrF8

Numbers?

I can see why people would think that even though there were more than just druids bitten, that numbers would cause an issue.

My counter-argument to this is quite obvious: Void Elves. At least night elf worgen have had a place in the lore throughout the years :) That aside, there actually was a substantial amount of those afflicted or turned by the Scythe

We don't need anymore elves! Why not just update our original worgen instead?

I fully agree that the original Gilnean worgen models should be updated first. Though of course I keep dreaming of Nelf worgen releasing alongside with the new worgen models.

As for elves... I get the elf fatigue but Night Elf worgen would work the same as their Gilnean counterpart. This meaning you would see them mainly in their worgen forms and the night elf forms would simply be for role play purposes. If anything, this is another variation of the worgen.

I've heard many people say things like "well they are just another night elf" or "just another worgen, it's not that much different to make them a separate playable race." I could say the exact same thing for Lightforged Draenei, Highmountain Tauren, and Nightborne really. They don't have a lot of differences at all but yet were made playable.

How would Night Elf Worgen look different from Gilnean Worgen?

The biggest difference would be in the eyes. The eyes would portray that of a night elf's, glowing shades of golden, amber, or silver. Their fur would have light colored hues that consist of white/off whites, light blue tints, purplish tints (think of night elf druid cat forms), dark blues, and dark greys. Their fur colors are basically different now due to being in the Dream for so long. These colors do not share the same grey shades that Gilnean worgen have. Their manes are much longer with hair freely flowing down the back (or braided, ponytailed, accented by smaller braids, feathers, beads, etc etc) They also may have primal looking tattoos on their shoulders of celestial designs. Also, if anything, I’d like to have them somewhat resemble the vanilla worgen model as far as it being primal. Or perhaps something like the artist Goldenwolfen has depicted. Tails of course would be an amazing thing as well as it would pay homage to pack form.

http://www.goldenwolfen.com/site/

I have faith in the Blizzard art team!

Classes Available

Druid, Hunter, Priest, Rogue, Warrior

Night Elf Worgen came at a time where the Highborne were cast out (later becoming the High Elves of the east) and arcane magic was outlawed. Therefore mages and warlocks would definitely be ruled out.

Sticking with the night elf cast, shamans and paladins would not fit into this category either.

The Night Elf worgen were sealed away a very long time ago therefore would not be active during the time of death knights.

Monks are iffy. I excluded them from the list on the basis of Gilnean monks not being available.

Demon Hunters, same situation with death knights.

Racial ideas

These are all something that I came up with. Purely fanon. Most are a mix of night elf and Gilnean worgen racials! All in pure fun so please feel free to post your own!

Two Forms - Just like our beloved worgen, nelf worgen will get Two Forms. The only difference is is that their humanoid form will be a night elf instead.
Shadowstalker - User gains 30% movement speed and stealth for 3 seconds. Within those 3 seconds, player may activate Shadowstalker again to pounce on her prey, dazing enemy for 2 sec. 2 Minute Cooldown.
Running Wild - Drop to all fours to run as fast as a wild animal.
Savage Hunter - Experience gained from killing humanoids increased by 5%.
Dominance - Increases mastery by 1%.
Goldrinn’s Wrath - Reduces Nature damage taken by 1% and Nature damage dealt is increased by 1%.

Druid Forms

FERAL, GUARDIAN Forms - Instead of the traditional cat/bear, a night elf worgen druid uses her mastery of her pack form to fight as an actual wolf instead. When in Guardian spec, the druid becomes a much larger wolf that is the size of a bear using the worg skeleton whereas feral form uses the wolf skeleton. Both having unique models of their own. The guardian form would be more of a dire wolf.

This is purely based off the Ralaar Fangfire and Arvell's "pack forms" from the Cursed of the Worgen Comic Series by Blizzard.

As for Travel, Moonkin, and Flight Forms, I would most certainly LOVE to hear your ideas!

Jokes!

I haven't come up with any yet but do feel free to post some of your own!

Who would be the leader of these night elf worgen?

The answer would be Arval and perhaps even Belysra. I would highly recommend reading the comic series Curse of the worgen to find out why! Of course, many know the fate of Arval but do keep in mind of how sometimes, even though one may be gone... the Emerald Dream... For those who saw the end of the Emerald Nightmare, we did get to see the forms of the fallen.

I also think that if Belysra became the leader of these worgen, it would give Blizzard a HUGE opportunity to create a story for her. For those who don't know, if you create a worgen right now, she is currently in game. She is the night elf you come into contact with, who helps free you from the Dark Ranger. Also, she is the one who created the Scythe of Elune and in Legion, she is the one who presented it to you if you were balance druid but the Dark Rangers stole it from her.

Heritage Armor Appearance

I proposed a LONG time ago that the kaldorei set from the vanilla cinematic be implemented in game. During the War of Thorns, Blizzard FINALLY did just that. I would LOVE to have this be their heritage set!

https://imgur.com/a/UQb8v

https://www.wowhead.com/news=284846/new-night-elf-archer-armor-in-battle-for-azeroth-and-city-guard-updates
33 Likes
The effort. So intense. Can't.... Can't disapprove. Nnnng.

..Support.
5 Likes
I’d be pretty miffed if they added Night Elf Worgen before updating the existing Worgen models.
1 Like
I'm going to say nay on one very, very important point:

Give worgen our new models before even considering making worgen-whatever allied race options.

I know that isn't grounds for it-will-never-happen or that I'm saying it shouldn't happen, but for blizz to add in this to the game without updating worgen again? Well it's.. it's actually something they would do.

Carry on.
I actually fully agree that Gilnean Worgen models need to be a priority first and foremost! This of course would come later down the line!
1 Like
I regret to inform you that Belysra cannot serve as the racial leader.

She's dead :/
2 Likes
This is by far the only Allied Race I'd be interested in getting ASAP.

How many petitions can I sign?
I'd add there ears and faces are also sharper then the gilnaen worgen faces since they came from a different species, another factor you missed is they're now displaced as there was a pack of Night Elf Worgen in Felwood till Saurfang came through during the events of the burning of the tree, you can still head there now and the denmother (whos a gilnaen worgen) mentions how worgen there are far older then any of them, there are those in Val'sharath too but they seem to be cured by the Scythe instead of being tempered by the ritual like others day.

Hope that little bit of info helps cause on my mini list below i wrote them fairly early under the Bloodfang Feral section before i split them up,
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12jeENwkDC358cihQyoOHJczzreidqTSGlV-Xo4hbOSI/edit
08/22/2018 10:13 PMPosted by Rorrand

She is alive and quite well as of Legion. Now, I am not sure if she was at Teldrassil during the burning. She could have been but it's not yet confirmed.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Belysra_Starbreeze
1 Like
08/22/2018 10:17 PMPosted by Nevarianna

She is alive and quite well as of Legion. Now, I am not sure if she was at Teldrassil during the burning. She could have been but it's not yet confirmed.

She was at Teldrassil during the prepatch. You see her amongst the priestesses putting out the fires. She very clearly did not make it out; the adventurer is canonically the last person to escape and she's still there when you take the portal. Then the portal closes.

She's dead :[
08/22/2018 10:16 PMPosted by Relart
I'd add there ears and faces are also sharper then the gilnaen worgen faces since they came from a different species, another factor you missed is they're now displaced as there was a pack of Night Elf Worgen in Felwood till Saurfang came through during the events of the burning of the tree, you can still head there now and the denmother (whos a gilnaen worgen) mentions how worgen there are far older then any of them, there are those in Val'sharath too but they seem to be cured by the Scythe instead of being tempered by the ritual like others day.

Hope that little bit of info helps cause on my mini list below i wrote them fairly early under the Bloodfang Feral section before i split them up,
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12jeENwkDC358cihQyoOHJczzreidqTSGlV-Xo4hbOSI/edit

Yeah, I forgot to put in a section of where we see Night Elf Worgen in game right now. I did not forget Felwood though (in my mind at least haha!) Those of Felwood were actually but a handful as many still are within the Dream right now which is what I based this concept off of. I would love them to work with Belysra (if she is alive) to develop story line for this possible allied race.

The whole curing with the Scythe can be interpreted in different ways though. While it definitely brings them back to their elven form, there's no confirmation that they still have the affliction or not. Regardless, since then, the Scythe has been completely drained of its power from siphoning the stuff from Sageras' sword thus why I'd propose with Lordaeron being vacated, the Alliance could get the possibility to regain control over Gilneas as well, having access to the tree which granted worgen their humanity.

I do like your concept of the Bloodfangs. :)
1 Like
Ty it was my first try at making a small detail option and i had to rewrite it cause half of it was the alternate option of Talonbranch Worgen, i personally added it cause the hybrid model of current male worgen and the old feral worgen from pre cata looked so beautiful and feral that it could just work, plus i just noticed as of today that Bloodfang Worgen are still alliance! :D yea i just got bloodfang soldiers on my boat so feral worgen are still around with us, btw by lore Gilnaes is within our control again.

Thinking to add a first 'what if' race to my list as well known as Ash Elves based on those who barely survived the burning who didn't make it through the portal with Genn and the Adventurer and giving them the Dark Iron Dwarf treatment with a new skinstyle like burnt bark opens on there skin, think its worth a writing?.
Well I now know who Tyrande in the tent will recruit. That being said I'm having a hard time imagining them being fundamentally different from current player worgen. Maybe less noble and more savage as the elves are compared to humans anyways?

"Status unknown"

Bliz has literally brought folks back from the dead so it's not really a stretch for them to say she made it out in time.
1 Like
08/22/2018 10:33 PMPosted by Myran
Well I now know who Tyrande in the tent will recruit. That being said I'm having a hard time imagining them being fundamentally different from current player worgen. Maybe less noble and more savage as the elves are compared to humans anyways?

"Status unknown"

Bliz has literally brought folks back from the dead so it's not really a stretch for them to say she made it out in time.

"Status unknown" only because the wowpedia page is a wiki; it is edited by users, not by Blizzard staff. It is true that we do not see the moment of Belysra's death, but it should be noted that the Wowpedia users have listed Astarii Starseeker, who was also at the temple, as "Deceased." https://wow.gamepedia.com/Astarii_Starseeker

Can't be both ways; either we're sure everyone left behind is dead or we aren't. But it seems to me that portal was meant to be the only way out of that situation, and Belysra made the choice to stay and die with her sisters.

She's with Arvell now.
Oh yeah! I totally forgot to link this in the thread as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A87HwEVhYGY

and

https://youtu.be/HmF3dSt-XLE?t=6m14s

Both are from the same Youtuber but he's been saying the points I've been saying all along as well.

"Status unknown" only because the wowpedia page is a wiki; it is edited by users, not by Blizzard staff. It is true that we do not see the moment of Belysra's death, but it should be noted that the Wowpedia users have listed Astarii Starseeker, who was also at the temple, as "Deceased." https://wow.gamepedia.com/Astarii_Starseeker

Can't be both ways; either we're sure everyone left behind is dead or we aren't. But it seems to me that portal was meant to be the only way out of that situation, and Belysra made the choice to stay and die with her sisters.

She's with Arvell now.

Until it's confirmed by Blizzard, I will assume she made it out. As for Astarii, she was confirmed dead as her death was actually described in the BFA Elegy.
ADVOCATED SUPPORT.
I've been wanting this Allied Race for a long time now. It's definitely a great time to add them.

We they could be added simultaneously alongside the update Worgen Models that would be marvelous.

I'd race change my Warrior to one in a heatbeat, if they were released.

Definitely agree and support everything OP said.
08/22/2018 10:46 PMPosted by Nevarianna

She's with Arvell now.

Until it's confirmed by Blizzard, I will assume she made it out. As for Astarii, she was confirmed dead as her death was actually described in the BFA Elegy.

Honestly I hope she did. I like the role she played in the Worgen questline, the balance druid artifact, and of course the comic.

The reason I presume her dead is that she's just sort of plopped in the middle of the Burning of Teldrassil without any dialogue whatsoever (you can't converse with her at all) and she doesn't even get a mention in Elegy. This, to me, represents a general apathy towards her character and a desire to just remove her from the story altogether. In an unceremonious manner as well!

It's super unfortunate when this happens to "minor" characters, but it's starting to become par for the course. Admiral Taylor and Amber Kearnen, anyone?
I really loved Belyrsa in the Curse of the Worgen comics. I guess we will see in time what happened to her.