Unecessary collection restrictions

I wanted to talk about some of the requirements that exist on acquired collection items, specifically transmog and toys. Here’s a compilation showing some of the requirements.

To summarize the requirements that can be found, we have:

• Profession
  • Level
  • Zone
  • Outdoor vs Indoor
  • Class
  • Covenant / Renown
  • Holiday

While I understand the need for certain requirements, like class, faction or profession, many of the others feel unnecessary. In general, when you earn a collection item, there shouldn’t be additional requirements in place to use it, especially if they are the same requirements needed to unlock it in the first place. It defeats the entire purpose of having an account-wide unlock.

Sometime in BFA, with changes made for account-wide credit of exalted reputations, many transmog reputation restrictions were loosened (see here). However this is not applying to certain toys or Shadowlands reputation transmogs (I’ve unlocked every covenant cosmetic and have renown 80 on each covenant).

I would love to see many of these collection restrictions loosened, or removed entirely. For example, for any of the engineering skill requirements, rather than require a specific skill number and expansion, just check if engineering at skill 1 is learned at all across all expansions. It really is disappointing to play an alt, especially a new character, and not be able to use unlocked collection items.

During the lunar festival some time ago, a questline was added to make the flower wreath appearances lose its holiday restriction. I think it’s a great solution to handling the holiday requirements and I’d like to see more holiday cosmetics getting similar treatment!

I’d also like to hear from those in the RP community and how these restrictions have affected them.

83 Likes

I think some of the restrictions make sense, but I do by and large agree that a lot of these restrictions are kinda arbitrary.

I’m going to bundle these together: these restrictions should probably just go away, as you say :> I think it might even be an oversight that some of these toys and cosmetics aren’t usable outside of the covenants or if you don’t have the right reputation, they should have probably been covered by the restriction-lifting of BFA and 9.1.5. Imagine if a mount was restricted by your reputation, or your level :<

I understand why cosmetics were gated behind covenants initially, though. It was an ‘important choice’ to make. I am generally in favour of people mixing and matching to better express themselves though, so I am really glad the restrictions were lifted.

Profession levels gating toys (like the chef’s hat) seems really silly. I think you could still justify requiring you to have that profession in order to use certain toys, if it makes sense. It helps giving some professions a bit more of an identity. For transmogs, such as the engineering goggles… what if the appearances usable were for everyone, and the goggles themselves having bonuses for engineers only when worn?

Some toys only exist because they were formerly available as glyphs for certain classes (such as confession for priest, or rain of frogs for shaman), so they really are just class abilities converted into toys for the sake of practicality. I think it would be cool if they were either added back into the spellbook (account-wide) or open them up to everyone, since they now are classified as toys.

Some of these toys make sense to restrict, but I think the restrictions aren’t entirely fair. The Cursed Swabby Helmet, for instance, is only usable in Pandaria because otherwise you might feel like you have to get this toy and actively use it in every other expansion for the 200% swim speed, and then you might also abuse that, in wpvp for instance. But therein lies the problem: the restriction is there because it has a useful effect, not because it’s a fun item. What if instead of making it only usable in Pandaria, you can use it anywhere, but you only get the 200% swim speed while in Pandaria?.. and then apply the same philosophy to everything else in this category :>

Outdoor/indoor might also make sense, depending a bit on what it does. I don’t have any examples of toys that have this requirement on the top of my head.

Yeah, well… I’ve been in some hot debates about this in the past, I do personally think it would be nice to dress up for Winter Veil in Midsummer, but others find it a bit annoying to see someone dress for the holidays year-round. I’m sure there’s a compromise out there, some holiday toys have reduced cooldowns during their respective holidays, after all.

10 Likes

Gonna throw my hat in for the keg on your back basic brewmaster class fantasy. I mean we even got totems on backs so its not that hard. PvP flags should persist past death too.

10 Likes