Undo Gear Update?

So I wanted to try and do the gear update since I’d never done one before and to my dismay it completely messed up my character. Not only was my gear significantly worse but none of my spells were where I left them and my bags were a mess. Is there any way to undo this? I can’t possibly remember where all my abilities were and now my character is ruined…

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t believe that there is an “undo” for this boost.

As for the placement of your abilities, you’ll need to set those back up again too :frowning:

6 Likes

Any gear or items that were replaced should have been mailed to the character.

6 Likes

No, sorry. Check if you have any screenshots saved somewhere. I often will do that when I’m updating addons and the like, since they can be shifted around during the process.

4 Likes

Unfortunately I didn’t have any screenshots saved so I guess that just sucks for me. Is there any way to give feedback to the devs that resetting all abilities, action bars, etc isn’t exactly the best? Or at least they can give us warning when we’re doing the gear update? I literally thought I would just get some updated gear to quest with not get my entire character reset :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes, you can submit feedback either by posting in the Community Forum (General Discussion for this subject) or by using the Submit a Suggestion option found in the in-game menu under Support in the main menu (ESC key by default).

5 Likes

I get this comment is being moderated. But please understand how frustrated I am. I saw this advert on instragram and I quote

“DON’T MISS OUT ON THESE FREE SPECIAL GIFTS AWAITING FOR YOUR CHARACTERS”

The game marketed this as a special surprise, and did not mention at all that it’ll wipe all my action bars. You’d think developers would want a smoother return experience by having such personalized settings remain. I joined back moments ago only because of friends, and what I’m greeted with is an unplayable character.

3 Likes

Addons are updated regularly by their respective authors - ie, NOT Blizzard, so it’s no surprise that you had to update them after a year.

UI was completely revamped with Dragonflight, and was a major feature of the current expansion, and also featured heavily in the promo’s.

4 Likes

I didn’t mention addons to blame blizzard. I meant I spent a couple days on my free alt working on getting my UI the way it used to be. I didn’t expect after subscribing, and doing a “gear update” it would make things even more complicated and frustrating.

I just tested on my low level banker alt that I still used to chat with friends on occasion, and I can confirm it did wipe and empty my action bars as OP mentioned above.

And the reason why I was upset is, there’s a video on IG from 3 weeks ago which I remembered that marketed this falsely as free goodies:

“DON’T MISS OUT ON THESE FREE SPECIAL GIFTS AWAITING FOR YOUR CHARACTERS”

But having something highly personalized wiped is not a special gift. I don’t have screenshots of many alts to remember how to set action bars back the way they used to be.

Whoever reported me for moderation, I get me being upset ticked you off, but it doesn’t remedy my experience as a player. It’s just making me feel more let down.

Sorry Akiirah, that is pretty frustrating. Personalised buttons can be difficult to rebuild.

If it helps, perhaps you can look at it as a way to build off a blank slate? I rebuild my buttons every once in a while to better meet my needs at the time. Dragonflight was really good for that – we have more action bars, they can be placed anywhere, resized, the columns and rows adjusted… it’s really good, albeit a bit intimidating.

I had a friend who logged into Dragonflight once (after playing through Shadowlands), said Nope!, then quit the game for good just based on the UI update.

4 Likes

Thank you Amaelalin, I’ll work on that tomorrow. I think I just need to sleep on it for now. I got the UI / addon part looking just the way I want it already, and I’m quite happy with it. It’s just, I don’t remember how I set up my actionbars, macros, especially alt specs like for my druid… I’m going to have to start fresh. I appreciate the kind reply.

3 Likes

What you can do once you set them up again is take screenshots of each character so you have a visual reference. You can go into the Screenshot folder and rename the screenshot with the name of the character so you can identify the correct one easily.

5 Likes

Talking about your frustration is fine but profanity masked or otherwise is never a good idea.

1 Like

So if we ‘updated’ our gear, and it assigns us crappier gear, what if we don’t have an active account? What happens to the gear in the mail the? We just lose it all?

That’s pretty bad if our gear was better than the ‘update’ right? Lose it all? If Blizzard hasn’t told me it was a type of upgrade I wouldn’t have clicked the button on so many accounts.

To be honest, I am not sure of the length of time that Blizzard will keep that particular type of mail in your mailbox before it is deleted. The default time before mail expires and is permanently deleted is 30 days.

Perhaps one of the Support Forum Agents (SFAs) can offer some insight into this issue.

2 Likes

It doesn’t say a thing on the intro screen about it mailing your current gear back to you… that’s a HORRIBLE idea because so many will click for an update and not have a current sub.

If they’re going to do that to your account without letting you know - they should make that mail stay indefinitely.

Otherwise it’s like deleting your advanced gear because you trusted them and didn’t have an active sub.

I logged out in characters I don’t play much in their best gear for each of them, so at least on the intro screen I could choose who i’d want to ‘be’ based on their best gear/how cool they looked.

I thought if my gear was good, the ‘update’ would at least add a stat or a few points to it. I had no idea, worse gear was a possibility. Clicking that on 2-3 accounts worth of 20+ characters for each (been playing since the first day) seems now to have been a massive mistake!

Please Blizzard fix this. Find a way to protect the gear you sent us in the mail. If the account wasn’t active, sending it in the mail was a terrible idea. They had to know they were basically deleting a lot of gear.

If the plan was to hold my gear hostage for $15 per account - there’s no way I’ll ever sign in again. If you’re going to delete all my gear by fooling me into some kind of hostage situation, there’s no way i’m paying you for that nonsense. I’m going to have to be done on Blizzard from now on (remember, I’ve been playing since 2004) if this was a known and expected result. How dirty!

1 Like

I guess I’m kind of at a loss as to why you would go through and do all of that without a current sub?

As to the part about mailing your old gear - that is how typical purchased or bonus boosts from expacs have always operated. When you apply the boost, you get gear that is appropriate for the level you boosted to and your old gear and such is mailed to you. If you’ve played since day one, you would have known that. That worse gear was granted to you, I don’t have a dog in that race. But you’re all sorts of perplexed about how something has always operated and it’s Blizzard’s fault for that? If you’re in that sort of predicament, it may be in your best interest to resub for a month to be able to clear out all of your mailboxes. Blizzard really isn’t doing that bit anymore where they grant someone a day’s time to be able to use a token or some such.

3 Likes

Some people may have more accounts than you and even do things for different reasons for you. You can be as ‘perplexed’ as you like, that in no way means Blizzard won’t end up deleting people’s hard won gear because they didn’t let them know that’s how things worked.

Been playing since 2004, original beta, actually before day one and didn’t even occur to me that they’d give me worse gear and then possibly delete my gear. How long I’ve been playing really isn’t up for debate and I couldn’t care what you personally believe.

It seems truly, there is no “lowest” bar when it comes to the behavior of Blizzard.

Mails always been deleted after 30 days its been like that forever its never been meant to bevused as a 3rd storage.

3 Likes

It was a gear boost. Boosts always remove all of a characters gear and mails it to them. Why you assumed it would operate differently? Not a clue. But if you weren’t sure, perhaps either you might have read into it or come here to ask before going through multiple accounts blindly. So again, this is on you.

2 Likes