Undead Night Elf and Tyrande

And Kaldorei fans were outraged.

Same thing with A Little Patience scenario. This is precisely why Kaldorei fans are so vocal and defeatist about the portrayal of Kaldorei in WoW. Blizzard’s tendency to delegate quests to interns who don’t know the lore might make a mistake like that, and have.

“Only the Goddess may forbid me anything” is the mantra of the Kaldorei fanbase BECAUSE it is a line that Blizzard forgot they wrote.

Depends on the individuals. I have been on the forums long enough to know who are the trolls and who aren’t

3 Likes

Her point is it’s the same 4 people, who come in and constantly give bad faith arguments on why the kaldorei aren’t this or that.

It’s tiring because at least two of them pretend they’re kaldorei fans when they clearly are not.

There is a big difference between appreciating the lore and being a fan of it.

2 Likes

But that’s the thing; the definition used by anthropoligists, the dictionary definition of the word itself, fits the depiction of night elven society as a matriarchy. It does, for real. I’m not making this up; look up the word. Look up the definition. Look up how anthropoligists use the term.

Night elves fit that definition. They are matriarchal.

Every time people here add unnecessary criteria to what a matriarchy must be, you’re actually giving a pass to patriarchies. “Men must be completely subjugated”; so since women can vote in the US, we’re not a patriarchy now? “No men can ever hold power, and Malfurion is second only to Tyrande”; Kamala Harris is second to Joe Biden, so I guess the US’s gender problems have been solved? “But there’s other men also in positions of power”; We have two Supreme Court justices that are women, multiple women in congress, so I guess things are fixed now.

So why add unnecessary qualifiers to discount the night elves as a matriarchy?

They can be a matriarchy. We don’t have to make patriarchies look more egalitarian in an attempt to diminish the night elves’ government structure.

We can just use the word as it is defined and as it is properly used.

Night elves are a matriarchy.

2 Likes

I think that’s a generous reading, sure.

I’ve seen a few people do it a lot. Where it actually equates that if you disagree with their take, you aren’t a real Night Elf fan. I think the accusations tend to miss the mark half the time and at best are unproductive.

I more or less agree for similar reasons as you well laid out. That’s also why I like tragedy. The War of Thorns stuff as a concept wasn’t bad imo for example. But the execution was very bad.

1 Like

if that is your reading, then you are not paying attention.

Obviously you wouldn’t agree, you’re one of the people doing it.

Lol, it’s not that I don’t agree. You are just fundamentally not understanding what I was saying. And you don’t seem terribly interested in learning. So, you are really just a waste of space right now.

Saying I don’t understand is the same as not agreeing what I said is true.

I think you lost me here.

The only thing stopping us from having a completely patriachal society (like for example, Gilead, because it’s the purest narrative example on hand) boils down to the fact that our society doesn’t completely opress women. (but some politicans are trying their hardest to.) It still values egalitarianism.

Where I think you lost me is the idea that not calling the Night Elves a matriarchy is inherently sexist. You’re also siding with Akiyass who’s previously made it clear that she actually expresses a want for female domination as a power fantasy. Which I don’t agree with and I’ve clashed with her over that countless times, she’s not making this argument in good faith.

I can see in the real world a power fantasy, is a revenge fantasy and it’s justified (i’ve said some pretty radical things in private about how a female dominated society would be cathartic. But that’s just a power fantasy at the end of the day, opressing men in a reverse scenario is being no better than the male politicians currently trying to take away my rights.

But if you want to keep calling it a matriarchy I’m not going to say you are wrong, I’m just going to disagree.

3 Likes

It’s not. I can agree that some people are doing that. I am not one of them though. The people who were the target of my ire are known trolls, not nelf players that happen to disagree with me.

Mostly because, the vast majority of nelf players don’t disagree with me.

Look everyone, Ren is making up lies about people again.

Call me a man again too. That worked out well for you.

2 Likes

I am a female. I play all elves, including night elves. (the amount of times I’ve had to ‘prove’ this only to be still called not a real fan, really tests my patience.)

1 Like

You are a Sylvanas fan and you defend the Burning of Teldrassil and vehemently opposed Tyrande bringing her to justice for her crimes.

You are as far from a Kaldorei fan as they come.

2 Likes

Our society values egalitarianism?

Half of America thinks I should be forced to carry a pregnancy to term if I’ve been assaulted. I could go OFF about how arabs are treated, how muslims are treated, so on and so forth. I could spend days, literal days, pointing out the numerous ways women are treated differently in our society, by our governments, and question how that sounds egalitarian at all. And then point to the politicians, religious leaders, and other high profile people in my country who espouse and support that status quo.

Agree to heavily disagree that our society values egalitarianism. A portion might, but society as a whole does not.

I haven’t said that. I’ve said a lot of the arguments people have made (IE: “the women only ruled night elven society because the male druids were asleep”) sound very sexist. I’ve said you’re misusing the word, attributing qualities to it that do not exist within the word’s definition. I’ve pointed out how those attributes you’ve given would look when applied to the US as a patriarchy.

I have not said you’re sexist at all.

Stop that. A word’s definition, it’s actual meaning, is not a power fantasy. It’s not a revenge fantasy. It is simply what the word means.

I’m siding with the actual definition of a word, how that word is properly applied, and whether or not it is properly applied to a video game society.

I’m not going to pretend a word has a different meaning based on who else agrees with the literal, actual, proper, used in scholarly papers definition of that word.

If a white supremacist says that cheese cake is yummy, I’m not going to disagree with them out of spite.

(EDIT: This is not to imply a white supremacist is present in this conversation, just happened to be the first thing to pop into my brain)

1 Like

Being a Sylvanas fan and a Night Elf fan are not things that are mutually exclusive. I can feel sorrow for both. My empathy is not in limited supply.

My reaction when people lie about fans of something they clearly aren’t a fan of.

Again, you can appreciate aspects of the lore while not being fan who loves it. Like, there’s things I like about the kaldorei, I wouldn’t label myself a fan though

5 Likes

Likes to advertise egalitarianism, but the reality is much different than the dream.
Its like those companies that “value” diversity.

6 Likes

Matriarchy is not female supremacy, that’s all I am trying to say.

I’m not a radical feminist, like Akiyass, who thinks the solution to gender inequality is female supremacy. There has to be a middle ground somewhere, and I’m there.

Really? Because you seem to have so little about it.

Where was your empathy when you blatantly called for Malfurions death during the War of Thorns event?

Where was your empathy when you cheered for Sylvanas redemption arch that used Kaldorei loss as merely a plot device with no pay off.

Where was your empathy when you repeatedly and intentionally misgendered me?

Where was your empathy when you spread lies about Baal, Micah and Doness?

Your empathy is very much in limited supply.

There you go again. Proving my point before I could even post it.

2 Likes

I know. That’s why I’ve had to repeatedly provide the actual definition for people, and yet they still keep insisting on adding non-existent qualifiers to it, just to deny that night elven society is actually, really, literally-by-definition-and-scholarly-use a matriarchy.

I’ll do it one more time, with yet another source.

From the Cambridge dictionary
Matriarchy
a type of society in which women have most of the authority and power

Hell, let’s try the Encyclopedia Brittanica too:
matriarchy , a hypothetical social system in which the mother or a female elder has absolute authority over the family group; by extension, one or more women (as in a council) exert a similar level of authority over the community as a whole.

Night elves are a matriarchy.

2 Likes

About the whole empathy thing without getting into the drama being stirred. You can feel bad about a group but when the solution is going to come at the expense of something you feel strongly about the empathy thing doesn’t seem to matter much.

Then again you could be like certain worgen here where your empathy is limited how annoyed you are at a group during that week and make them out to be unreasonable for their wants and needs.

2 Likes