Unanswered PvP Concerns

I agree with OP and all these ideas with one large caveat. All the ideas presented here are fantastic when conditions are ideal.

Ideal conditions apply when:

• Server pop is high.
  • Server pop is balanced.
  • Server pvp pop is high AND balanced.

If ANY of those conditions are missing or declining WoW Classic pvp really starts to suck.

• Q times go up.
  • One side begins to dominate wins.
  • Conditions begin to compound and a server badness spiral begins.

There are only a few ways to solve these issues, and every solution is universally hated by the Classic playerbase.

• CRBG.
  • Forced player transfers.
  • Incentivized player transfers.
  • “LOL, ur server is garbo” (do nothing).

tl;dr - OP is 110% correct if you manage to get an ideal server. If you don’t… LOLGG.

4 Likes

they will do what every they want to do be glad you are getting a classic wow or you could be just stuck with retial.

me im not a purest so i dont care.

1. I can deal with having battle-groups. Waiting forever for a bg… really sucked. I still saw players I recognized in battlegroups.
    THere’s pros and cons… and I’ll be okay with either option they choose.
    Battlegroup Bgs were in Vanilla.

2. It would be nice if Battlemasters came in phase 5/6. Feel more authentic.

3. This is a big one for me… The best part about vanilla was 1.5 AV. That was where I had the most fun. It will be a HUGE let down for me if they go with 1.12 AV.

4. That’s really not that big of a deal imo… you can still pvp together just fine. It’s an mmo, it’s not just your friends vrs. the world.

1 Like

How about mercenary queueing which has existed for a few expansions now in Retail? Retail has issues with long queues(on horde I had 10-20m queues for bgs for past few expansions) so cross server doesn’t actually fix queue times, it’s band-aid solution that eventually makes the problem much worse(faction imbalances in general) as time goes on while also destroying the community aspect of a MMORPG.

Cross-realms do help queues… 10-20min… is nothing…

Depending on the server in Vanilla… queues were 40min-1 hr…

3 Likes

Cross bgs is not a bad thing, please stop. You might of been lucky and didn’t have to wait hours just to get in wsg but others did. Not every server was and to this day still isnt highly populated.

2 Likes

This is why #NoChanges is so interesting.

Technically all of these go against #NoChanges by picking and choosing which vanilla stuff you want and which you don’t.

Of course everyone has reasons for the vanilla stuff they want changed. But its a change nonetheless.

The more I read the more it seems like the number of actual #NoChanges people are smaller than expected. Everyone seems to make room/excuses/caveats for their personal desired changes and considers those “different”.

But I don’t think Blizzard cares. We will see.

1 Like

It is a bad thing. It’s no different than lfg. Community is destroyed. You don’t know the other players anymore. It’s just random strangers. Reputation means nothing. You don’t build friendships or rivalries. It offers nothing that the Current game already does.

But of course the one difference is…crbgs were in Vanilla, if only for a brief period of time. Just don’t pretend that they don’t destroy the community, because they do. To say they’ll be necessary in Classic is based on pure conjecture. At the very least, add bgs without the cross-realm component and assess the situation.

1 Like

Well sticking with a single content patch like 1.12 (some people want this) This is actually not any different than picking and choosing the features from 1.1.0 to 1.12.2 because the original game was a progression from beginning to end.

That however is not the exact path we will enjoy, but instead Blizzard is providing something close-ish…

With that in mind, Classic WoW No-Changes has been for the most part a broad concept that simply says “If it existed in original Vanilla lets talk about it; if not then go away”

1 Like

And non of that means anything when your server cant get full wsg games anyway.

Idk about you but meet plenty of friends via cross bgs. Even from the opposite faction.

I understand the whole "gimi the real experience " movement but stop over looking the bad. Cross bgs was and still is a great move so that people on low populated servers can actually get full games and not 5 on 7 skirmishes.

2 Likes

You’re assigning fears to Classic that may or may not exist.

In any event, I consider this a matter of quality over quantity. I’d rather have more meaningful, immersive battles. I want to recognize names. I want to feel that rush of excitement or fear. I want to see people become famous and infamous. Grinding on random strangers? I have no interest in that.

2 Likes

May or may not exist? What? It happened already…

Whats the solution then to low pop servers then. I’m curious. are they just out of luck to pvp?

1 Like

Classic launched? I guess I must have missed it.

You don’t know there’s going to be low pop servers (which isn’t the reason for long bg queues anyway…except maybe AV). It’s faction imbalance, and you don’t know that will exist either.

One of the other posters Apocalypse, I think it was; had a well laid out idea.

Make sever population figures known on the server selection page; this way people joining can see exactly where things are at.

Include a warning with imbalanced realms that describe the advantage and disadvantage of playing on an imbalanced faction, because there are advantages and obviously disadvantages.

If the overall game stops growing after a certain point, and there are under populated realms or imbalanced realms open up free and specifically well thought out transfers to remedy the problem. The result will be the closing of some realms while bolstering the populations of others / factions.

There are ways to deal with these issues outside of CRBG.

The problem with CRBG is that it strongly encourages faction stacking. This is what has happened on Modern WoW. Things are so bad now that Blizzard on a certain map that they cannot apparently get alliance to play is using AI so that the Horde have some one to fight.

I assure you CRBG does not end well, it’s only stop gap measure that only delays the death of PVP balanced for a short time.

After CRBG 2 things will happen, just as they did in original TBC and onward.

New players will accumulate on whatever faction they READ or are told is best.

New old players will either re-roll for PVP because they’re tired of getting rolled by pre-mades, or better players and will saying things like XXXXX faction never wins, YYYYYY faction is better.

Thus everyone will eventually end up on YYYYYY faction where they cant get a Q to pop because no one is playing XXXXXX faction just like on Modern WoW.

1 Like

But I do know, seeing how people want to keep server caps low, will result in the same issue we had today dating back since vanilla. Initial burst of player base. More servers open cause que time. Month goes by, population decrease in result some servers bleeding out more then others.

We all seen it happen, why do it yet again

Crbg didn’t encourage faction stacking. Blizz buffing and nerfing racials played the biggest role in that

1 Like

Players were all going Horde in TBC and Wrath because the racials were “better” Nothing has changed, people are still doing the same things now days, they just follow the trends.

Blizzard buffed alliance racials in WoD I hear, and as a result everyone transfered to Alliance for that expansion, then then flopped it back the other way… I don’t see where this is any different from TBC where we just rolled new characters.

We all know horde racials are superior for vanilla BG’s, and most PVP players gravitate toward Horde naturally any how.

Knowing this in advance clearly points out that no matter what they do, it’s only going to be a really long Q for CRBG as Horde after the dust settles because the Alliance players will cry about never winning while the Horde will cry about never getting a game to pop.

Clearly CRBG’s do not solve the problem; in some ways they will actually make things much worse over time because everyone serious about PVP will be playing Horde.

How do we fix that? By encouraging local balance on the individual server.

Have a look at the BG forum, its a mess with all the same complaints that people had about original Vanilla in this same forum…

I am telling you from the bottom of my heart that CRBG will fix nothing, it’s not going to solve the problem… Have a look below.

This horde player is complaining about his Q times being too long… 55 min and he’s in modern wow where they have CRBG…

That player is alliance and he’s tired of getting stomped by what he thinks are horde pre-mades…

This guy is complaining about Twink BG players and how it’s unfair…

This guy is complaining about Faction balance being horrible.

1 Like

Server-only PVP had some awesome advantages. If you were good you became locally famous on your server. And it was fun when you saw a particularly formidable opponent with a name you recognized.

The downside was the awful queue time.

Back in Vanilla, I was on an RP server (Silver Hand). We had a 10:1 Alliance:Horde player ratio. For battlegrounds PVP this meant the Alliance queue ranged anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, with about an hour being most commmon. While waiting for the queue most players just went AFK outside the BG entrance.

Horde queue on Silver Hand was pretty much always instant, but usually there was just one Horde team running PVP at any given time. When you faced that team they usually won since they often won as they were used to running as a group and always had far more pvp experience than any Alliance team.

Cross-realm BGs fixed the queue time. Instead of waiting 2 hours for a queue, now we only had to wait 5 minutes. In my opinion, this was a vast improvement.

The loss of local server fame was regrettable, but more than made up for by being able to actually play the game and not spend most our time watching the queue. It was also fun to face some different opponents we hadn’t already fought 50x before.

Admittedly I might have a different opinion had my server had more balanced faction distribution. But from my perspective CRBGs helped alot.

4 Likes

Giving ctrl to the players definitely wont solve anything. That suggestion is pretty much a hope that ppl roll on w.e faction due to warnings… We are in a heavy meta era of gaming. Once top players are established and guides come out ppl follow suit