Unable to login to WoW when I manually open wow.exe

Happening to me even when using the launcher. I think I’m just SOL at this point

Edit: Had to remove my authenticator to get it to work. RIP my extra 4 bag slots :slight_smile:

last time i was able to log in with just the wow.exe shortcut was about an hour after reset.

now it will ask for an authentication code input, which i enter, and then just give me a disconnected from server.

using the launcher i can log in without issue. however, the main part of the launcher shows ‘something went wrong’ and reloading just repeats the error page

4 Likes

This is not a satisfactory answer. Mainly because it completely dismisses how a lot of us launch the game.

More importantly, to your own words, if you’re ever disconnected and try to hit the “Reconnect” button, that does not work either. You’re given the authenticator code prompt, but the code does not work and you get the “WOW51900314” code afterward. So now, anytime you’re disconnected, you have to exit the client and come back in through the launcher.

How could this possibly be the way we’re “supposed” to do this?

6 Likes

I always use the launcher, but the launcher fails and hangs on startup. (it just hangs on the connecting screen) so I’ve had to, since about august of last year, press cancel, then log in manually. so now, I can’t even play at all until this authenticator bug is fixed. Yes, I’ve been through this with tech support, and they’re stumped. A clean install didn’t even fix the issue. it’s all tied to the authenticator. if removed, I can log in fine. However, making my account less secure is not the answer to such a serious problem.

1 Like

There are some accessibility issues that require bypassing the Battle.net app when launching the game. In my case, launching from the Battle.net app causes my mouse acceleration curve to go completely bonkers, and I can’t have that as I fine tuned it to work as best it can with my deformed right arm.

And in any case it shouldn’t be failing and kicking you out when you enter the authenticator code correctly. This indicated it’s a back end issue that needs to be fixed, because at some point your authentication token for the Battle.net app also expires and you have to enter the code there too.

5 Likes

How can this even be considered a reply???

Honestly- WTF?!

extremely bad take. not a good look man. especially with your company’s image right now.

i suggest doing something that will actually alleviate your player’s concerns rather than hand-waving them away.

3 Likes

Add me to the list. Had a broken physical authenticator attached but always logged into launcher using SMS, yesterday when logging into game it asked for the authenticator code, so i unattached the broken physical one and got the mobile one going, it did nothing to help, code would not be accepted in my game client. I do have 2 accounts but cant seem to get either one to play, had to take it off to be able to play and am now missing the extra bag slots associated with having both SMS and authenticator. :frowning:

Hopefully a fix can be found soon, as it seems to be affecting more and more people.

I want to reiterate that I use the launcher, not the .exe to boot up the game. And it’s still causing the issue others mention here when just going to the .exe directly.

1 Like

It’s worked fine for YEARS.

this only started 2 days ago

what a terrible response, using the .exe is considered BAD now?

6 Likes

I have been having the same issue within the same timeframe and I DO USE THE BATTLENET launcher tyvm Blizz. So the response you got of “you should use the launcher” was total crap!

2 Likes

What is strange is that i can log into game on laptop but not on my PC. the only difference between the two is on my PC i updated the Battlenet launcher yesterday…

Same. Started this morning.

1 Like

thought i would see how the game is doing, couldn’t log in like everyone else from the exe, oh well back to skyrim I guess

1 Like

So I have a wow account on my BNet ID, my kids each have their own account under that BNet ID, and so does my wife, and uncle. We all can’t be on the launcher at once for what ever reason, so how exactly would we ALL use the same thing to log in? This response about “supposed” to go through the launcher really doesn’t help, and per the rules of the World of Warcraft Forums, “Does your reply improve the conversation?” So lets follow your own rules please.

3 Likes

Yeah launching the game through the launcher winds up giving me insane latency. Never had this problem launching the game through the .exe.

2 Likes

Why do all your relatives use your ; Windows Account?

You are only allowed to be on your accounts.

Just make your other their own Windows Account.
If you install Wow in ; Program files.
You already know Blizzard does not force you to have more than one install, because it separates the battle.net accounts in WTF directory.

Also you can not play at the same time if you have all them on one computer.

The term they use mostly is; " Win Trading ", but mostly against the ToS, so please follow everyone’s rules.

Good luck …

Terrible reply. The .exe has always worked and should always work with an authenticator. No one should be forced to use the launcher. It’s a PROBLEM and it needs to be FIXED.

2 Likes

If I could downvote a post, this would be the one.

5 Likes

Hey Orylia,

Customer support on EU side had this to say instead, you should take note.

Zuvykree

1 post

Customer Support
Howdy!

We are seeing a spike in reports about attempting to manually log into World of Warcraft will fail with error WOW51900314 if you have an Authenticator attached to your Battle.net account. The current workaround is to utilize the Battle.net Desktop app to launch the game. For security reasons we do not recommend removing your authenticator but that does also resolve the issue.

Our team is currently investigating this issue. We will update this thread once we have more information to share.

Thank you all for taking the time to report this issue to us.

3 Likes