Ugh... the graphics again

The toggle worked perfectly fine for the entirety of WoD, until they removed the old skeletons in the Legion pre-patch.

I’m supportive of a toggle only if the new models are tweaked to better match their classic counterparts. For many races, the new models’ faces and movements look entirely different than what they replace, which isn’t acceptable in a game where authenticity is key.

I’m still salty that this character’s beard turned into a spiky pineapple hedgehog thing with the update.

If I had a dime for every 00s-era multiplayer game with “slidey” walking/running…

It’s crazy how much better WoW was back then.

The only links that exist are of people complaining about the toggle during Legion or the Legion pre-patch. The people you’re replying to cannot comprehend that there was a time that the toggle functioned perfectly fine for over a year and a half.

Ok, and why did they do that?

I’ve read that it was too much trouble to keep with with 2 skeletons. That makes sense since it is essentially at least double the work (probably more). Every time they made a new animation, they’d have to do it twice.

If you look, I’ve stated that I don’t mind the toggle. I just don’t think it works or is worth the time it will take to make it work based on how Blizzard has handled it up to this point.

I will…?

I never used addons, and I won’t be this time around either. Porting over the BFA water, lighting, shadows etc is something that won’t break the Classic “feel” (for many).

But, having your garbage modern animations and models even as a toggle totally destroys the point of Classic WoW. You might as well just call it Classic BFA at that point.

Only blizzard can make a categorical statement as to why they removed the old skeletons. It probably had something to do with the new animations and they probably removed the toggle altogether because doing updates to them every patch wasn’t worth it for them.

Exactly. So it will be worth even less to them on a smaller dev team.

Except the fact that there will be no patches and no new gear that needs to be fit to the new models. Not to mention, they’ve already done the work fitting the old gear on the new models.

Not that it matters, the latest Classic Beta patch removed the HD skeleton and skin files.

Except that they will continue to add animations and changes to the new models which people will expect to be updated in Classic.

So your arguments boil down to the fact that they left in engine level aesthetics as toggles? Not at all the same thing as importing actual art assets into the client.

Even then, I would argue that old water should be forced and old shadows should be forced. Ground clutter (as I understand it) still isn’t the same at lower clutter levels due to engine changes, so that’s a technical barrier that would make it time/cost prohibitive to making that classic. So, begrudging pass there.

Color blind mode? That’s the only thing I’ll give you, since I cannot argue against excluding a mode that helps players with a disability when it wasn’t in classic (although at this point I expect you to claim you have a disability that prevents you from seeing anything under a given resolution or polygon count).

New GUI is similar to the ground clutter situation, an unfortunate side-effect of the new engine. Something I begrudgingly accept with it being time/cost prohibitive to revert.

Use of addons can be broken down into two categories.

(1) Addons that should not work in Classic because the Addon API did not have the functions/logic to make them work. For this, the Addon API should be brought into line with classic era API to only allow classic Addon API functions to work. That’s classic.

(2) Addons that exist because we know more of the game meta/better ideas for addons/better addon developers, but technically would have been possible if thought of during classic. This is entirely acceptable, otherwise you’re going to have to extend that argument into insisting the entire community collectively forget their knowledge of Classic WoW and refuse to use any website that was edited/added to after 2005. It’s just a bell you can’t un-ring.

That’s a bold assumption. Almost every thread I’ve seen talking about adding a toggle for the new models makes no mention of the animations. It’s usually the detractors that bring up new animations.

Only the BFA rtards will expect such stupidity - and they will be treated as such.

2 Likes

People I do not understand. I literally can’t fathom the fact that you writing this.
WHY?

Why is something is so IMPORTANT for you which you will NEVER see? You are talking it like: “I agree on ice cream existing in this world but only if it chocolate flavor”, when people on the other side of the earth can like vanilla or ~ugh pistachio?
WHY. DO YOU CARE. SO MUCH. ABOUT. WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SEE. WHEN YOU DON’T SEE IT YOURSELF? Just. WHY? I’m sitting here in my place, right now fully naked, cause I don’t like wear clothes at home. Does it touches you anyhow? No! Cause you don’t see me, you don’t experience it in any way except the fact that I’m saying this to you. So why would you care about something only me will be using? Cause you’re dictator? Cause you are egoistic prick? Could you alaborate further than “#nochange” bullshnitz and “bliazzordz promised ussss the 1000% vanilla booohooo” which I refute already, cause I really want to know how you think and where your logic at.

Because I customize my character the way I want it to be seen by everybody. This is an inherently social game. The only way other players don’t factor into the equation is if WoW were a single player game, and well, it’s not.

1 Like

It makes me very, very happy so many people will not play because of graphics. This may be the thing that excites me most about Classic. Finally, my arch-nemeses are getting their comeuppance.

Ha ha.

1 Like

The OP has specifically mentioned the fact his toon doesn’t move while gathering a couple times.

I still will play it, cause I love classic gameplay. I already played beta test a little. Where do you think I’ve got those sweet cool screenshots of randomized characters ™ in my starter post?
I just hope blizzard will give me choice to play this game with a lot more joy than just experience only gameplay.

Yeah I remember you. This is actually pretty much egoistic way to put it. But I got you m8. Kinda even agree on this, still it is egoistic and not very socially accepted to behave this way.

Because your argument makes just as much sense as demanding that you be able to use Pikachu as your character model. It’s just as out-of-place in Classic WoW to use new models. We want classic to be classic, and don’t want to set precedent of a “toggle here” and a “toggle there” and a “QoL change over there” that water down classic.

Why can’t you just play classic? And if you don’t like it, why do you feel it is your right to insist upon a non-classic change (even if a toggle)?

1 Like

Well, look at it this way. Which is more unreasonable:

• You get control over your own character’s appearance only your character’s appearance.
  • You get control over not just your own character’s appearance, but also everybody else’s characters’ appearances.

The difference in scope is massive and I think the former is a staggeringly smaller ask than the latter. The latter also strips away individual player agency, which is rarely a good thing.

Well, to be honest I don’t think your request is unreasonable. I am a game-play and mechanics guy and don’t care about graphics. But in this case if they added a toggle for better/non-vanilla graphics it wouldn’t take resources that could go into improving the game since the game is aiming for museum.

My caveat is I wouldn’t want them to work on this until after release so it will push back the release of their phased release of content, extending the final museum.

1 Like