Typical experience playing WoW vs other games

Gotta love all the people gaslighting or trolling your viewpoints, of which I completely agree with.

2 Likes

The “social dependence” in this game is off the charts. There are other games where I can log in, as you said, and just play and advance, on my own, and feel like my time is well spent and enjoyable.

WoW forces you to NEED others to accomplish your personal goals. And if those people are tired, sick, unstable, toxic, unskilled, distracted irl, in a hurry, etc
 etc
 I may be wasting my time and have a bad gaming experience.

It’s literally creating a dependent and toxic environment. Having OPTIONS to do group content is one thing, but what WoW does is ridiculous. I couldn’t even get my weekly “open world” quest done without grouping.

I could get into the psychological traumas and dependencies (addons being another one) that this game is conditioning its players to endure and normalize, but it would be a very long post indeed.

Sinister intentions behind the driving force of why WoW is designed the way it is.

The bottom line is, it’s not FUN.

2 Likes

The pug scene is a toxic cesspool due to how competitive the game is now.

The game has always been this way, but the content in the past was way easier, and aimed at people with lower skill levels. People didn’t have the pressure of worrying about ranks, timers, ladders, you would just queue up for some fun.

You can still do that in WoW, but the lower levels of difficulty just feel devoid of any soul, so players that are more suited for this content just feel left out in the game now, because they lack the skill, desire or whatever else holding them back from engaging in the harder difficulties.

WoW tried to fix their lack of content, by basically just adding a million different modes of difficulty, everyone is basically running the same content over and over again. I think it is causing a lot of burn out in the game, as well as segregating the player base.

The developers are catering to some of the worst types in MMOs in my opinion, namely your hardcore competitive types. The entire end game basically revolves around this type of player, everyone is an afterthought.

Edit 2: I think the thing that made WoW so successful in the past because their end game of just 1 or 2 modes was mostly accessible to all player types and skill levels. The more they have tried to create content for the top end players, the more the game has suffered. There is the constant push on the player base that if you’re not pushing higher and higher keys or raid difficulties, you’re a scrub player.

I think this is what is creating so much friction and burn out with a lot of WoW players that aren’t interested in playing their MMO like an e-sport.

3 Likes

Yes, and yes. I’m also comparing WoW to reading a book or joining a softball league. Blizzard would prefer we spend more time playing so that we purchase more WoW tokens. I am hoping to aid them in this particular effort.

No, because this is hyperbolic and not relevant. Of course other games have failure rates, it’s just WoW seems to be particularly “punishing” (here we go again with Grizzle)

I’m just going to let ChatGPT answer you from now on because you bore me.

The concept of punishment can be both personal and impersonal, depending on the context and perspective.

From a personal standpoint, punishment can be experienced as a direct consequence of one’s own actions. When an individual violates a rule or commits an offense, they may be subjected to punishment that is specifically directed at them. This can include being fined, incarcerated, or otherwise penalized in a manner that is meant to hold them personally accountable for their behavior.

However, punishment can also be viewed as impersonal when it is carried out by institutions or authorities in a more generalized and systematic manner. In such cases, the focus is less on the individual’s personal characteristics and more on the principles of justice and maintaining societal order. The punishment is administered based on established rules and procedures, and its application is meant to be consistent and impartial.

It’s important to note that the experience of punishment can still be deeply personal for the individuals involved, as it often entails emotional and psychological consequences. Even when punishment is carried out in an impersonal manner, its impact on individuals can vary, depending on factors such as their personal circumstances, beliefs, and the severity of the punishment.

Ultimately, whether punishment is perceived as personal or impersonal may vary depending on the specific situation and the perspective of the individuals involved.

lol so the answer is yes, this is your main.

Me, lol. Are you a failed lawyer?

Yeah this 100%. And when someone is simply toxic in a key that would be otherwise easily timable the keyholder gets docked for it after a large time investment to pull the group together. It is extremely frustrating and has nothing to do with the skill of playing the game.

I have a lot of thoughts about this as well but it would be lost on most, and lost on enough of the toxic people here that they would completely misconstrue the idea, then claim the misconstrued idea was mine, and then say it was a bad idea. But long story short I think Blizzard could benefit from having a research psychologist consultant on their team.

They’re trying to treat it as a lobby game but the thing is with lobby games there is no gearing up. It is all about skill. Compared to these other games the average level of skill in WoW is actually quite low, because it is so irrelevant for most players. It only really matters at a high level. Some classes really stink without a proper rotation but most are OK. I know this because I essentially play every spec in the game, and I can get by on the ones I don’t know very well just by pressing what lights up!

2 Likes

Can you give me a specific example. Once again, your criticism is objectively vague.

This is truth, but some here simply will not be able to understand this concept. And no amount of explaining will help them understand this

1 Like

At the end of WoD, I started to see some of the design influence of the Diablo 3 developers that were brought onto the team. Legion had this influence all over the expansion. The gearing, the introduction of M+, the grinds, the way loot is distributed as well, all feels like elements from an AARPG.

M+ feels like it was a system ripped straight out of D3, which it totally was. Greater Rifts worked well in D3 because the game only has to be balanced around a few classes, and the social dynamics of an AARPG are completely different than that of a casual MMO like WoW. Trying to balance M+ around 38 specs now has created a ton of friction among the player base. I think it is nigh impossible to balance that many classes around 5 man content, especially timed content, without creating a ton of homogenization with the classes and the content.

Dungeons just feel utterly boring now if you’re not a M+ player. I get that dungeons have been hallway simulators for some time now, but I think this is where WoW could have really started to separate themselves from their competitors by creating more sprawling dungeons with interesting boss mechanics and puzzles that didn’t revolve around speed running.

Mega dungeons were a great start, but people usually don’t touch these until they’re put into separate wings and turned into M+, because the rewards are terrible from them.

Bottom line, I just think the D3 developers that brought their ideas over to the game didn’t really have a great understanding of WoW social dynamics. They were so eager to create a system to fix their lack of content updates, and lack of fresh ideas to get more longevity out of their dungeon content, that they went probably one of the laziest routes they could go and just copied Greater Rifts from D3.

Edit: Kevin Jordan, original vanilla WoW developer commented many times that M+ was a bad system for a game like WoW. He basically said this system encourages toxic behavior, and it is completely missing from the leveling dungeons, so he said players that are new to the game have zero interaction with this major system at end game while they’re leveling.

He said it is a very jarring experience to step foot into your first M+ run in the game as new player.

3 Likes

Augmentation Evoker: “Hold my beer”

EDIT: meaning – Augvoker will undoubtedly cause some really crazy balance issues. It is hard enough to balance around PI, let alone an entire class based around that concept

Yeah I get why M+ was created with a timer but it ultimately is a basic idea with predictable problems. For example it makes damage way more important than is fun and it completely changes the reason many people do runs. Then, any flavor in the dungeon basically has to be edited out for M+ because of how impatient it makes people feel.

Yes this is painfully obvious and I do wish they would reassess. I think they are gradually figuring out now that they have this wealth of old content they can draw on, but now we have kind of an opposite problem. They threw 8 new dungeons at us so now, socially, all kinds of rifts are forming because such a high percentage of people don’t know important mechanics.

I was running with a friend last night and near every key we ran failed because someone in the group was ignoring a mechanic. We ended our night because we couldn’t find a group to do the mechanics in NL (they were not targeting adds on the first boss for one, the last boss is also a bit of a crapfest) and the only keys we had were neltharus and NL 
 and forming a group for neltharus is basically impossible because nobody wants to run it!

Can they hire him again? please?

IMO give M+ a death counter as an alternative to timing it. I do like that dungeons can scale up in difficulty. I get that people might sit around and wait for cd’s to come up again, but I’d rather be waiting on CD’s to come up IN the dungeon than sitting in front of the auction house in Valdrakken for most of the day

Getting rid of timer would be a huge improvement for the game, regardless of what the M+ bros say here on these forums.

Being able to stop mid-dungeon and take a bio break, or let the dog out was a huge boon for WoW.

1 Like

I thought this was good at first but I think people would actually just four man the content so the timer won’t move. Maybe pulling should also restarts the timer.

Or just remove the timer. Id rather they do that.

1 Like

Maybe you should stop paying for it lol, couldn’t be me

I log into WoW and immediately think what piece of gear do I want to upgrade now and then Google
 I mean ChatGPT the detailed information on which of the million currencies and reps I need to grind to acquire that piece of gear.

/yawn

2 Likes

This mode still exists in WoW.

In the past, sure.

Oh im sorry, i didnt realize you spoke for an entire demographic.

You pretty much underscored the prime problem with video game development over the past 25 years:

Other people ruin everything.

1 Like

Not hyperbole: the title of your post is Typical experience playing WoW vs other games. So asking a general question relating to other games is absolutely on point. Its a shortform way of making a more detailed point, to wit - WoW is typical of the game style because when you throw a group of misc people together into the hotbox of an instance you are bound to get the occasional burnout.

The thing with WoW is that it gives players choice. The choice to stay. The choice to leave. The choice to form groups with people you know and can trust as a ‘social’ aspect of the game so that you can be more sure of a successful outcome.

1 Like

Dont just do mythics then??

Holy crap. I just looked at your achievements and you basically have no dungeon achievements for M+. You got KSM back in 2020.

You’re commenting about M+ when you barely play it? ugh the forums are so annoying sometimes 
 what a waste of time trying to debate with you.

You’re asking a question I already answered though, and with another game.

A lot of the choices are illusions. For example while there are currently 38 specs, some will rarely get invited so if you don’t have a regular group they aren’t really options. gear is homogenized so much too. I would say that other than transmog similar things there is actually very little choice in this game.

Want to customize your build? Nope – usually only one build will do comparative damage at a time.

Yep.

The steam library or the xbox that filled in wait times
became more fun lol. So I jsut fire up a game
and game? It has some allure.

And soon summer hits so even with other mmo’s I usually close off subs till fall/winter. Mine is good timing. it dies around the same time as D4 lives. And I go on 2 week vacation off grid basically. That was actually mere coincidence lol.

Even weekends get less play time to catch up so its the expense I don’t pay for really.

Its okay to walk away a bit. its a game, not a marriage lol.

1 Like

I’ll use a food analogy, i see most other games as me paying for the game and having fun eating all of my favorite foods, while ignoring the items i don’t like.

WoW is like a restaurant that openly berates their customers, forces them to eat a 80% brussels sprouts 20% nice stuff type meal while telling them they should be more appreciative of the teacup sized portion of dessert you get at the end :joy:

1 Like

Make friends, join discord or communities, or find a guild for M+ with good people.