Too Many Affixes Fall Directly on the Shoulders of Healers

So many weeks, like this one in particular have affixes that fall directly on the shoulders of healers! Like could Grievous hit healers more directly? I mean, dps don’t care one iota that you are having a heck of a time healing them through these affixes. Most of them will even stand there with their health ticking down after you have gone out of mana spamming heals on them while they stood in fire and their buddies patted them on the back for their “amazing dps numbers!” And then when you get up after getting your precious mana back you are expected to waste even more of it because they were too lazy to sit down and eat. And then the tank rushes headlong into the next pack and when you are oom this time, the spiteful mob chasing you back has left you out of range of the group so that when you do catch up, have used a mana pot, and have spammed heals again to try to catch up, it is futile! And that melee guy who repeatedly forgets to get out of the way when the spitefuls spawn so you have to rescue him again!!

Like come on? And with bolstering and bursting it is the same. DPS care nothing about your mana and how you had to spam heal because they were too lazy to pay attention to whether or not the mobs needed to die together or die staggered! Like, could this stuff impact healers more and oblivious others less??? I’m just so tired of taking the brunt of it.

30 Likes

The alternative is creating one hit KO mechanics, and we all know DPS aren’t ready for that responsibility.

“Stand in fire, dps higher!”

3 Likes

Why not? Bring it on and let these guys who make the lives of healers a living nightmare shoulder a bit of the pain for a change. And in the process let them learn the value of avoiding avoidable damage.

3 Likes

I don’t hate the idea, so long as they don’t go to the extreme of ESO where everything becomes a one hit kill.

Nothing killed my support dreams faster than learning my role is completely irrelevant outside of veteran raids :frowning:

5 Likes

Affixes that translated damage taken into a reduction in your damage done would also work well. Or have the damage you take be converted directly into a shield over the mob which has to be broken through before you can damage the mob. Or have the damage you take put a shield over you that has to be broken before you can do any more damage.

There are loads of ways to trip up the dpser and/or tank vs the healer when it’s the dpser and/or tank that are failing. And these ways would educate the dpser and/or tank vs just tiring out the healer to the point that he quits, tired of feeling the futility of his efforts.

Those ideas are just off the top of my head, but I could probably come up with fifty more ideas to shift the failure of the dpser and/or tank off the healer and onto the failing player instead.

10 Likes

All of them if your group has the IQ of a bag of spuds.

Well, when you see people just stand there twiddling their thumbs as their health ticks down while you get mana you start to wonder if it is not IQ at all. I mean healers can just let these guys die–but the whole group pays the price when they do that. And you get rage quitters quitting with one death. Yeah, one death. A tank did that today on a boss near the end of a run after dying after I had a real nightmare of a time healing this group.

2 Likes

I personally think the affixes this week fall on the responsibilities of the whole team, not just the healer.

DPS have a lot of pressure on them to perform well so that the healer can actually heal through these dungeons. For example, One interrupt on a spiteful this week, is worth maybe 3-4 globals for a restoration druid to correct the mistake of someone getting hit by one.

Grievous on high keys is always a team effort. The team should always be aware of how lethal pride is on grievous weeks and be prepared to do everything they can to help keep the potency of damage down, so it’s manageable.

At lower levels of play with people getting hit all over the place, dps never using interrupt abilities on the ghosts, etc…i can see why it can be perceived as a week where the weight falls on the healer…

but other than grievous, this is just a standard week imo lol…nasty, but sucks for everyone.

I have always felt that fortified tests my healing way more than tyrannical does.

4 Likes

I think the issue is that these are designed under the assumption that dps will spontaneously realize when they’re making life hard for the healer or tank and will stop on their own.

2 Likes

They floated the idea back in Legion of affixes that lowered your DPS output if they weren’t handled correctly. I wonder whatever happened to that concept.

5 Likes

This is a low skill complaint. Any good DPS will be using defensives and self-heals to mitigate grievous and avoiding things that can start it. This is part of playing well.

7 Likes

You aren’t complaining about affixes. You are complaining about bad players. Two very different things.

7 Likes

The current implementation of Volcanic knocking players into the air is intended to cover that design.

Also, to be honest, a dead DPS does no DPS, so affixes like Spiteful that can just kill DPS make them pay attention. Although at this point, players are so overgeared for the keys they play (220+ players playing 14s and 15s) that they can survive getting smacked by Spites, which makes this a healer problem again.

They do have this:

Volcanic
Storming
Quaking

1 Like

I’d like to see something like a good fire/bad fire sort of deal that doesn’t do damage, but debuffs your character in ways that, say, lengthen the GCD or something.

You get bad fire debuff, the only way to remove it is good fire. If it’s dispel-able by healers or does extra damage, it will always fall to the healer as their responsibility.

Just a raw idea.

The “get out of stuff or take more damage” is prone to fall on the healer. I mean, sure, if someone dies to it then it’s their bad, but it becomes your problem until they do.

2 Likes

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/elitismhelper

Every time DPS does the bad, it calls them out. Some people don’t even realize they’re not supposed to be taking certain types of damage.

At a certain point, choosing to stay in and use a defensive cooldown while continuing to pump is sometimes the play and knowing when you can make that choice increases the skill-gap, but forcing a damage penalty for powering through a mechanic reduces the skill-gap of the game by eliminating a choice. What is described in this thread is mostly a “PUG” problem, which it is worth saying that until very, very recently, Blizzard has been of the mind-set that Mythic+ was not designed to be PUG’d, even if players chose to consume it that way.

2 Likes

So you conveniently stand in the back, with a clear view of everything (even though you just stare a bars playing your verion of whack-a-mole). Job well done.

On Grievous week (and ones like it), you do the EXACT SAME THING… just… moreso.

Yeah… not feeling your pathetic whine on this one.

Try being a melee where we not only still have to do our job, but actually move around, change targets, still interrupt the things you’re whining about, all with a 1" POV and can’t tell wtf is going on while more and more and more and more and more and more spell effect crap is dumped on us so that we can’t even see.

As someone said later, what you’re REALLY complaining about it bad players, not the affix. But in the general case, your plight is nothing compared to melee DPS in this game.

2 Likes

I think your lacking of understanding the affixes is affecting you more. You don’t heal through grievous. Your tank manages stacks, your DPS help CC ads to peel tank, and you try your best to big heal/top off the tank in the lower stacks so you’re not completely dumping mana into nothing for no reason. Healing grievous is about as dumb as healing through a mortal strike/sharpen blade… better to use damage reduction than healing while the % reduced healing is up.

TBH every affix sort of relies on your DPS and tank to do a good job so you can push more DPS and spot heal as needed. I think your problem is you’re still learning to heal and you are healing lower keys with players who have poor performance. I gotta say I’ve had to focus more on healing in keys lower than +10 simply because they people aren’t good at all. Meanwhile healing 19/20s often feel much easier because the team is on point.

1 Like

Do you need a Snickers bud?

2 Likes

I’ll buy us both breakfast to prove my internet snark about this issue isn’t anything personal. Would that do? :slight_smile:

1 Like