To Writers: From a nelf fan

10/19/2018 05:55 PMPosted by Anillei
10/19/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Tyriellais

And yet, if the NEs joined the Horde, I would quit.

But then, I’ve quit anyway, so maybe that doesn’t matter.

But I’m not going to play the side of the genocidal sociopaths.

If the choice is between that or being a punching bag to make the sociopaths look stronger, I’m just going to leave.

I personally would like to see the Night Elves leave the Alliance as it literally has no benefit for them and instead serves to weaken them instead.

In all fairness the Night Elves are as shoehorned into the Alliance as the Forsaken are shoehorned into the Horde. I would guess that Blizz just couldn´t get a four faction game to work. O course, a larger question is why they made the forsaken playable at all? They are clearly built up to be antagonists more than allies for anyone.
10/19/2018 06:49 PMPosted by Gvix
10/19/2018 05:55 PMPosted by Anillei
I personally would like to see the Night Elves leave the Alliance as it literally has no benefit for them and instead serves to weaken them instead.

In all fairness the Night Elves are as shoehorned into the Alliance as the Forsaken are shoehorned into the Horde. I would guess that Blizz just couldn´t get a four faction game to work. O course, a larger question is why they made the forsaken playable at all? They are clearly built up to be antagonists more than allies for anyone.

The Foresaken were never their own faction, the Scourge were. The Foresaken are mostly humans of Lordaeron.
10/19/2018 05:26 PMPosted by Moonfalls
10/19/2018 02:46 PMPosted by Ferlion
And this is by design. Because people are engaged. You want change, then dont be engaged

This is simply mistaken perception on the dev's part. Good writing doesn't make me mad at the writer, it makes me mad at the characters. Right now I'm just mad at the writers. I'm so not engaged I've cancelled my sub and quit playing the game.

They might think they are succeeding at something, but that is only because they reside in their Horde logo'ed ivory tower.

I agree, but its been their policy for awhile.
I dont have the interview on hand, but they dont worry until no one is making noise.
The way I see it, Blizzard have long seen something different in the Night Elves than the fans of them do.

Night Elves are past tense.

Night Elven stories are stories about the past. Old ruins, ancient enemies. Ghosts and memories.

Night Elven society is a fallen empire. They played a huge role all over Azeroth's past. But those days are over.

Those are the stories Blizzard want to tell... And it's really awkward that there are still living Night Elves all over the place. And that they were immortal and saw those ruins first hand in their glory.

And it's not like Blizzard are incapable of writing about a fallen empire reacting to their own fall from grace... that's the entire plotline of the Zandalari. But I don't think Blizzard wants to admit that the Night Elves ARE a fallen empire.

The burning of the Tree was the beating of a dead horse. They "lost everything" ages ago. It's not a plotline with any bite to it. A new scar to be treated as a big deal while ignoring ALL the other scars.

I really feel for you guys.

This game is filled to absolute busting with Night Elf lore, but it's all backstory with nearly no developments.
Honestly, Blizzard hasn't written night elves correctly or authentically since after WC3 ended.
10/19/2018 06:59 PMPosted by Darkazemaru
The way I see it, Blizzard have long seen something different in the Night Elves than the fans of them do.

Night Elves are past tense.

Night Elven stories are stories about the past. Old ruins, ancient enemies. Ghosts and memories.

Night Elven society is a fallen empire. They played a huge role all over Azeroth's past. But those days are over.

Those are the stories Blizzard want to tell... And it's really awkward that there are still living Night Elves all over the place. And that they were immortal and saw those ruins first hand in their glory.

And it's not like Blizzard are incapable of writing about a fallen empire reacting to their own fall from grace... that's the entire plotline of the Zandalari. But I don't think Blizzard wants to admit that the Night Elves ARE a fallen empire.

The burning of the Tree was the beating of a dead horse. They "lost everything" ages ago. It's not a plotline with any bite to it. A new scar to be treated as a big deal while ignoring ALL the other scars.

I really feel for you guys.

This game is filled to absolute busting with Night Elf lore, but it's all backstory with nearly no developments.

I figure the new art team just can’t handle the Night Elf architecture.

Apparently making more than four armor sets was too much for them.
10/19/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Anillei
All I can hope to see really is that the NElves canonically leave the Alliance but keep the playerbase as it is.

I never liked the Alliance anyway. Should have made us our own faction from the beginning.
Blaming the Alliance is pointless. If Night Elves were their own thing then they would be mistreated the same way. Is not about the Alliance but about the horde benefiting from it.

You say that it's so humans save night elves? humans haven't even done that other than Wolfheart so that's already far fetched. And humans suffered the same fate with Theramore, all so the Horde plot could advance. Same for Worgen and Gilneas and the Draenei at Draenor.

The Alliance is not the problem. Anything that's not horde gets the treatment. Pretending them joining the Alliance has anything to do with it is naive.
10/19/2018 07:16 PMPosted by Averyx
Blaming the Alliance is pointless. If Night Elves were their own thing then they would be mistreated the same way. Is not about the Alliance but about the horde benefiting from it.

You say that it's so humans save night elves? humans haven't even done that other than Wolfheart so that's already far fetched. And humans suffered the same fate with Theramore, all so the Horde plot could advance. Same for Worgen and Gilneas and the Draenei at Draenor.

The Alliance is not the problem. Anything that's not horde gets the treatment. Pretending them joining the Alliance has anything to do with it is naive.

It get's annoying when people keep suggesting the idea of having the Night Elves "leave" the Alliance.
I am fiercely loyal to my people, and to the Alliance.
You know, personally i'm not sure how or what to add to the story in order to make it better. Ideas, I've a lot, sure. No nerd is without their fantasies, but I'd loathe to just impose mine. Because, again, in an exercise to gather empathy for my point of view, it'd feel to me as a glaring mistake to burst in demanding ideas like "AND THEN TYRANDE SHOOTS SYLVANAS IN BETWEEN THE EYES AND THREATHENS ORGRIMMAR WITH DISMANTLING".

Personally I think it'd take a lot of more knowledge of what's going on before I felt comfortable bringing 'concrete' story ideas to fruition.

But right now, sadly all it feels one can do right now is this pseudo venting that feels more like a tantrum because posting in the forums feels like a never ending set of arbitrary goals one accomplishes to appease a dismissive and distracted -- if not entirely absent -- authority figure.

And if you check some twitters, there seems to be some sort of resentment at people having opinions at the stories, sometimes.

Without at any point whatsoever condoning violence, rudeness or nastier actions towards Devs or fans, it does feel sometimes that the Devs and many people in general are overly dismissive of criticism to a story which points out it makes fans feel dejected, angry and sad about it, because it's not a 4-star review that highlights the positive and sandwiches the criticism between a mellifluous coating of praise.

Sometimes, there really isn't a positive to sugarcoat it with. And ignoring it because one didn't follow the social protocol of not-talking-about-negative-emotions sounds arrogant as heck, to me. Acknowledgement would go a long way here. At least, I think it would for me.
The Horde devs have no idea how out of touch they are with the Alliance and Night Elf fans. They think this is a positive moment for us. Until they get someone on the dev team who is actually a fan of the other races, it’ll never change.
10/19/2018 09:11 PMPosted by Tyriellais
The Horde devs have no idea how out of touch they are woth the Alliance and Night Elf fans. They think this is a positive moment for us. Until they get someone on the dev team who is actually a fan of the other races, it’ll never change.

They don't even need to be fans of the other races. Just temper their love for the Forsaken and stop giving Alliance costly "wins" while giving barely scratched "losses" to the Horde or Forsaken.
10/19/2018 09:11 PMPosted by Tyriellais
The Horde devs have no idea how out of touch they are woth the Alliance and Night Elf fans. They think this is a positive moment for us. Until they get someone on the dev team who is actually a fan of the other races, it’ll never change.

truth!
personaly I just glad they inculding other races then just "Human" and "orc" to the table for the story

Other races do exist

They don't even need to be fans of the other races. Just temper their love for the Forsaken and stop giving Alliance costly "wins" while giving barely scratched "losses" to the Horde or Forsaken.

They are blind to their own bias, though. They legitimately think this is a win. They actually thought Old Soldier after slaughtering the NEs was a good idea, because they didn’t want the Horde feeling bad. They legitimately thought that Lordaeron would be a positive moment for the Alliance until they saw how it was received.

No, they need an outside perspective, badly.
10/19/2018 09:29 PMPosted by Seger
personaly I just glad they inculding other races then just "Human" and "orc" to the table for the story

Other races do exist

Other races do exist but Blizz is attempting to put as little effort as humanly possible to try and make them fit in to the story with as little story, art, effort, quality as they can.
10/19/2018 06:51 PMPosted by Tyriellais
10/19/2018 06:49 PMPosted by Gvix

The Foresaken were never their own faction, the Scourge were. The Foresaken are mostly humans of Lordaeron.

I meant that the forsaken should be their own faction of various sentient undead.
I am the embodiment of what Night Elves are story wise.

Dead.
10/19/2018 09:48 PMPosted by Tyriellais
They are blind to their own bias, though. They legitimately think this is a win. They actually thought Old soldier after slaughtering the NEs was a good idea, because they didn’t want the Horde feeling bad. They legitimately thought that Lordaeron would be a positive moment for the Alliance until they saw how it was received.

No, they need an outside perspective, badly.

That's what happens when you write believing you are the characters themselves. They can only and only see things through that perspective.

Calling the patch "Tides of vengeance" is a very dumb joke.