To Whom It May Concern Regarding Nelf Lore.

10/31/2018 07:05 PMPosted by Middboss
If the alliance can casually sweep aside such a powerful figure (and keep in mind the horde doesnt have many powerful figures unlike the alliance), that will just further cement that the Horde is not a real faction like the alliance.
God forbid that the wrath of an angry moon-goddess stop a guy who defeated a bunch of murderhobos and then feigned death to avoid getting killed by them.
10/31/2018 07:07 PMPosted by Cantaloupe
If the alliance can casually sweep aside such a powerful figure (and keep in mind the horde doesnt have many powerful figures unlike the alliance), that will just further cement that the Horde is not a real faction like the alliance.
God forbid that the wrath of an angry moon-goddess stop a guy who defeated a bunch of murderhobos and then feigned death to avoid getting killed by them.

Those murderhobos defeated illidan, lich king, deathwing, kiljeaden, the burning legion, and the old gods. Oh, and those murderhobos force bwonsambi to run.

But i see you are not interested in being reasonable or thinking things out logically.

Also, tyrande DOES beat nathanos, a powered up nathanos as well, so your complaint is kinda pointless.
10/31/2018 07:07 PMPosted by Cantaloupe

Fair enough ... though even without Nathanos, with it being the Bilgewater and Forsaken primarily composing the troops in Darkshore ... there shouldn't be a win condition for the NE's. The only thing stopping the worst case scenario (which essentially involves the Horde enacting "Scorched Earth Policies" and creating a new Dead Scar in Darkshore if they find they cant hold it) is the very same Warfront that NE's are complaining about not giving them a "conclusive win"...
If the Horde are going to enact "Scorched Earth Policies", which hasn't been their modus operandi and there's been no indication of outside of the Battle for Lordaeron this expansion, then fine. But I'm not convinced.

At least with Dark Shore a complete loss, it would allow for what remains of the Night Elves to be focused elsewhere and an actual part of the overwhelming Alliance victories in Tides of War.

Unless of course, "Scorched Earth Policies" means the extinction of the Kal'dorei. In the event that such things are inexplicably, inextricably linked, then we had a good run.

The purple people population of Stormwind will just have to rapidly evolve into some other kind of dorei variant.
10/28/2018 08:29 PMPosted by Shadowlynx

TLDR:

1. Anduin a twenty something year old can mass rez his entire army, while Tyrande a ten thousand year old "High Priestess Avatar Of Elune" cannot rez her own Sentinels and people before they become Forsaken?!

2.Night Warrior should have made Tyrande Goddess mode and turned zombie boy into ash, and rez her people or send them to Elune, so they would not become damned souls of the dark rangers.

3. Elune is a Goddess, zombie boy should have been annihilated!

4. Malfurion is a "Night Elf" they have enhanced sense of Night vision, hearing, smelling and are shadowy. Orc boy should not have easily been able to sneak up on demigod Furion. (Who also should have annihilated zombie boy)

5. Us player characters just finished being demigods ourselves in Legion and becoming masters of our classes, yet (Alliance side) could not stop a moody Lich witch from burning down the tree and kill off ninety percent of the Night Elves?

6. I have Zero faction pride, and never will again after BFA train wreck of a story!

7. Orcs vs Humans is long gone now. this is WOW not WC1. The other races need their time to shine.

8. Did you really have to rehash the Blood Elves story for the Night Elves?

9. Devs please stop being out of touch with your player base and alienating your Night Elf fans. Bring back Warcraft 3 Night Elves and not these incompetent purple Humans you keep giving us.

1: Doesn't happen in canon. If the servants to the divine powers held such power, why would anyone ever die?

2: Sure, she deserves to be more powerful, though combat in the middle ages is based heavily on circumstance. No-one can be the best every time when advantages can make or break encounters. Even the greatest of swordsmen and archers of the early days were known to have been humbled by conscripted peasants with long and sharp sticks, or arrows fired from thirty yards away.

What they should do is emphasize on how the fight begins, continues and ends. If the literal Demigod Cenarius can get felled by an Orc army hyped up on demon blood, a super-powered priestess can probably be defeated by a guy armed with a bow and engaging from beyond her range with a melee weapon, or at least force her to retreat.

3: If the gods had such sway in the physical world, why would they need followers? Why not walk the world as the mortals do and lay claim to all domain under threat of harm? There has to be something that stops them from acting. If the Light had such sway, Lordaeron would've never fallen. Heck, the Orc invasion might've never happened. It is the place of their followers to act out their will in their stead and the place of the deity to empower the follower to succeed.

4: Malfurion was fighting with Sylvanas. It is possible that your senses may slip you when you start to focus on the something immediately in front of you.

5: Both Teldrassil and Lordaeron do not make sense in the logistical angle and at this point, it's just a 'roll with it' situation. Just the same, the player character can't be expected to be the piece that breaks the whole line. Again, Cenarius, a literal demigod, had been beaten by Grom and an army, the player character stands less of a chance against a giant army wave.

6: Agreed whole heartedly!

7: Agreed whole heartedly.

8: They're very much in love with the 'Fall of Rome' idea. They've done it to the Trolls, they'll do it to their descendants, the Night Elves. I think it's bound to happen to every ancient civilization.

9: Here's to hoping, but again, the Fall of Rome thing is just something they really enjoy.
The reason Tyrande can't mass rez is more to deal with what Elune's dominion entails. She isn't the Holy Light, she's the goddess of the moon, and therefore is more lunar and nature focused. Mass rez and any rez spell in general comes from the Light. I won't count the shaman's reincarnate spell as it's not rezing someone else, nor will the dk's original rez and ally spell count either since they were ghoulified in the process.

I'll agree with op though, the Night Elves fought in the war of the ancients, and should have so much more military experience then any other faction. Though they've been isolated for quite sometime. As the 1st and 2nd wars took place in the Eastern Kingdoms only, there's no interaction with the nightelves until the events of warcraft 3 where as the Orcs you begin chopping down some of their forests.
10/31/2018 08:01 PMPosted by Rhuna
If the Horde are going to enact "Scorched Earth Policies", which hasn't been their modus operandi and there's been no indication of outside of the Battle for Lordaeron this expansion, then fine. But I'm not convinced.

At least with Dark Shore a complete loss, it would allow for what remains of the Night Elves to be focused elsewhere and an actual part of the overwhelming Alliance victories in Tides of War.

Unless of course, "Scorched Earth Policies" means the extinction of the Kal'dorei. In the event that such things are inexplicably, inextricably linked, then we had a good run.

The purple people population of Stormwind will just have to rapidly evolve into some other kind of dorei variant.

Scorched Earth Policy refers to the military tactic of destroying one's own holdings (that you know you cannot hold in the face of an encroaching force) in order to make sure that that force cannot use the resources of those holdings against you. You cannot also claim that the Horde (especially the Forsaken) don't and won't do this when you admit they literally just did this with Lordaeron one patch ago.

If the Horde can't hold it, doing this in Darkshore serves several functions:

- 1) It prevents the enemy from securing a convenient Beach-head for further invasion inland. They'll still have one, but it would be a logistical nightmare.
- 2) It prevents the enemy from supplying themselves off the land, making them more dependent on Alliance supplies; stretching already very stretched oversea supply routes closer to the breaking point and making them more costly.
- 3) Seeing their homes once again get turned into a wasteland (especially since their attack to reclaim it is partially the cause) would be catastrophic to the already very low morale of the NE race.
- 4) It sends a very clear threat to the Alliance. "You want Darkshore back, fine, you can have that lifeless husk we left for you. Try pushing further into Kalimdor, lets see how well that works out for you."
- 5) All of the above protects the real prize of Ashenvale, which despite being amazing for resources all on its own; provides free access to nearly every other zone in Northern Kalimdor (outside of those protected by the Cenarion Circle).
10/31/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Droité
They do deserve a win, I'm not arguing against that ... I am arguing that objectively they are FAR from the only ones that deserve a win.

I sympathize for the NE's and their playerbase, but to say that they deserve a win right now ... when the Gnomes for example haven't been allowed to have a single clean win in over 14 years

I hear you. I agree that other races deserve their win, too. I hope Junker Gnomes really are a thing we find out about tomorrow to help with thay for the Gnomes.

But that has no impact on the Night Elf story. If such stories run parallel to each other they would have no, or, at best, little influence on one another.

10/31/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Middboss
tyrande DOES beat nathanos, a powered up nathanos

You kind of shot your own point in the foot, didn't you?

10/31/2018 07:20 PMPosted by Droité
The only thing stopping the worst case scenario (which essentially involves the Horde enacting "Scorched Earth Policies" and creating a new Dead Scar in Darkshore if they find they cant hold it) is the very same Warfront that NE's are complaining about not giving them a "conclusive win"...

Difference is you're talking about something you presume would happen outside the limitations we assume are in place because of gameplay, and I at least am talking about the story carrying on beyond Darkshore because of the limitations I assume are in place because of gameplay.
You know a story is poorly written when fans have to head-canon their own explanations when dealing with power-levels and characters.

Edit:holy phone problems, batman.
Anduin did not "mass ress" his army. A close look at the video and you'll see that the soldiers he revives might have been dying, but they weren't actually dead. What he peformed, was still impressive, a very large mass healing. Ressurection magic is a game play device... not part of the actual lore. If resurrection magic was as common in lore as it is among players, don't you think that either of the elder Wyrnns would have had their wives raised? or that King Lane and Uther would have been brought back?
11/01/2018 08:00 AMPosted by Amadis
10/31/2018 07:20 PMPosted by Droité
The only thing stopping the worst case scenario (which essentially involves the Horde enacting "Scorched Earth Policies" and creating a new Dead Scar in Darkshore if they find they cant hold it) is the very same Warfront that NE's are complaining about not giving them a "conclusive win"...

Difference is you're talking about something you presume would happen outside the limitations we assume are in place because of gameplay, and I at least am talking about the story carrying on beyond Darkshore because of the limitations I assume are in place because of gameplay.

I guess that's sort of my point when it comes to Darkshore. While its valid to argue that the NE's deserve a conclusive victory (they absolutely do), I'm not sure its exactly fair to argue that the Darkshore Warfront denies them that; when they shouldn't have gotten one anyway ... and in fact it actually gives them a "cleaner win" than they otherwise would have had, because of the restrictions of game mechanics.

EDIT: Bilgewater and Forsaken traditionally fight SUPER DIRTY! There is no such thing as a conclusive win against them unfortunately. They'll gladly cover themselves in putrid sludge to eek out a win, or they'll do anything it takes to sour their opponents victory if it comes to that (either to ruin their momentum, or just out of spite). In short, "You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy".
11/01/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Droité
I guess that's sort of my point when it comes to Darkshore. While its valid to argue that the NE's deserve a conclusive victory (they absolutely do), I'm not sure its exactly fair to argue that the Darkshore Warfront denies them that; when they shouldn't have gotten one anyway ... and in fact it actually gives them a "cleaner win" than they otherwise would have had, because of the restrictions of game mechanics.

I strongly rebuke this, as this wasn't even a clean win that Night Elves needed against the Forsaken or Goblins, who are only there because of the gameplay reason of the Darkshore Warfront. The Forsaken and Goblins are shoehorned into a warfront they don't actually give a damn about because they were left out of Arathi by Blizzard, so the concept of the Night Elves "shouldn't" narratively be getting a clean win at Darkshore is built on a foundation of sand because the Forsaken and Goblins "shouldn't" have been at Darkshore at all.

Separately, the Goblins are getting a win in the upcoming raid in this same patch any way, as Gallywix's whole goal is to prove himself the superior weapon designer and to win a fight against Mekkatorque, which they do.
11/01/2018 01:50 PMPosted by Amadis
11/01/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Droité

I strongly rebuke this, as this wasn't even a clean win that Night Elves needed against the Forsaken or Goblins, who are only there because of the gameplay reason of the Darkshore Warfront. The Forsaken and Goblins are shoehorned into a warfront they don't actually give a damn about because they were left out of Arathi by Blizzard, so the concept of the Night Elves "shouldn't" narratively be getting a clean win at Darkshore is built on a foundation of sand because the Forsaken and Goblins "shouldn't" have been at Darkshore at all.

Separately, the Goblins are getting a win in the upcoming raid in this same patch any way, as Gallywix's whole goal is to prove himself the superior weapon designer and to win a fight against Mekkatorque, which they do.

I mean ... its pretty clear why the Goblins and Forsaken are there. Its because ... yeah, they don't actually have any sentimental connections to that territory; which means they are going to exploit the ever loving crap out of it. I can't think of any groups in the Horde that would piss off Kaldorei more than the two who have historically had quite the legacy of destroying and polluting natural environments. That's kind of their thing, they're great at it. Satisfaction guaranteed.

If Sylvanas wanted an incentive for the NE's to jump the gun and invest the Alliance in a reckless assault to regain their territory, fueled by a leader who's given into blind rage ... she certainly picked the right people for the job. Hell, lets throw some good old fashion "resurrecting the NE dead" while we're at it, that will certainly throw gasoline on the fire of "trying to split the Alliance along the Kaldorei line's" like she had always planned to. Huh ... funny how that works.

Its almost like Sylvanas isn't good at emotional manipulation or doesn't have a massive talent for "using" people and tools at her disposal or something? Why else would the Forsaken just randomly be blighting ruins for no reason, if not to piss off the Kaldorei so much that they tempt them into attacking them? The Goblins, they're just doing their jobs ... "They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot." :D
11/01/2018 03:12 PMPosted by Droité
Why else would the Forsaken just randomly be blighting ruins for no reason, if not to piss off the Kaldorei

This only makes your scorched earth concept even less stable, as the Darkshore Warfront simultaneously would show that the Night Elves are able to undo any damage the Forsaken or Goblins cause.

We see from the questing testing and Alliance version of the Darkshore Warfront that Lor'danel is completely blighted. Datamining suggests that Lor'danel is no longer blighted when the Alliance has won control of Darkshore, which would make it so the Night Elves are now able to clear away the plague as efficiently as Jaina did, or perhaps more so. Waiting for the Horde's version of the Darkshore Warfront to be tested to confirm.
11/01/2018 03:29 PMPosted by Amadis
11/01/2018 03:12 PMPosted by Droité
Why else would the Forsaken just randomly be blighting ruins for no reason, if not to piss off the Kaldorei

This only makes your scorched earth concept even less stable, as the Darkshore Warfront simultaneously would show that the Night Elves are able to undo any damage the Forsaken or Goblins cause.

We see from the questing testing and Alliance version of the Darkshore Warfront that Lor'danel is completely blighted. Datamining suggests that Lor'danel is no longer blighted when the Alliance has won control of Darkshore, which would make it so the Night Elves are now able to clear away the plague as efficiently as Jaina did, or perhaps more so. Waiting for the Horde's version of the Darkshore Warfront to be tested to confirm.

The amount of Blight being used is insignificant to the amount used at Lordaeron, which even further suggests that ... yeah, they were doing it to get a reaction from the NEs. In fact, in a number of the incursions the primary weapon used against Ancients is Blight ... and its shockingly effective.

If they thought the damage it could do could just get healed in an instant, they'd focus more energy on using Azerite ammunition (that is also pretty effective). And, considering how 8.1 concludes, 8.2 is absolutely going to be the Horde pushback patch. I'm a little worried how Darkshore will play into that.

And, btw, Jaina didn't actually "clear" the Blight, she Froze it to various surfaces using air pressure and frost. I wouldn't suggest eating anything right after touching any of that ice ... and it would eventually thaw out and pollute the ground again at some point. It was a relatively small amount to what was used later to torch UC, but still Blight is not the easiest crap to get rid of without Red-Dragon fire.
11/01/2018 03:40 PMPosted by Droité
And, btw, Jaina didn't actually "clear" the Blight, she Froze it to various surfaces using air pressure and frost.

You can see the frost clear out in the cinematic when Anduin stops and calls out "Jaina! The wall!" and both the frost and blight are gone from that point foward.

11/01/2018 03:40 PMPosted by Droité
I'm a little worried how Darkshore will play into that.

Two posts I made on the PTR forums about worries for what will come after Darkshore:

10/30/2018 08:06 AMPosted by Amadis
10/30/2018 06:45 AMPosted by Kyalin
So is it ALP? No, and I do think they took a lot of positive lessons and applied them here. There are still huge issues with the scenario, but comparing it to ALP is just a bit unfair.

I actually agree.

However, we also have to take into account some warning signs. With Anduin saying that the Alliance can't divert forces to Darkshore, and the Night Elves and Gilneans heading off on their own, and taking to account that 8.1 will swing the war highly into the Alliances favor, as even Nathanos admits to Sylvanas that the Alliances is on the cusp of winning the war, what we do have to be cautious about is if 8.2 or the continuation of the war after is going to swing the pendulum back again into the Horde's favor. And if the story does head that way, what would make the Darkshore Warfront even worse than A Little Patience would be if the Horde took advantage of the Alliance's divide forces and were able to take back the war because of it. Even if Anduin didn't directly say something to Tyrande after like "This is why I didn't want to send anyone to Darkshore," the narrative presentation would still leave a lot of players blaming Tyrande for the Alliance losing the advantages they had gained because of her, well, lack of patience.

We do not know the above situation will happen. I sincerely hope not. But I bring it up in hopes that Blizzard will take that into consideration if they haven't.

10/30/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Amadis
10/30/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Yrithe
So in a worse case scenario, if Anduin gets what he wants in the end, but the Night Warrior isn't satisfied, Tyrande (and the others following her) will be an antagonist to the Alliance and Horde (For this speculation, I'm assuming this is later in BFA and they're no longer ruled by Sylvanas here, and the new Warchief agreed to peace). Next step, Tyrande becomes a crazed raid boss that both factions have to take down, she's not killed, ofc, but purified by Anduin. And now the grand finale!!! Anduin wags his finger at Tyrande and we're finally at ALP 2.0.

That is definitely another concerning scenario I am worried about as well, especially given the line I pointed out that Tyrande says about Saurfang in the "Sparing Lives" section of my first post.

I can posit a suggestion of hope, though, that ties into the question you asked of if the Night Warrior state can wear off. If we do go down a path of vegence, which to be fair a number of people might very well want to, if this does lead to a Tyrande bearing down on Saurfang, I would hope that the Night Warrior state would either wear off as she comes face to Saurfang's pennant face, or at least intrinsically informs Tyrande that it isn't Saurfang that vengence is needed against, when he was calling for the catapults to stop, but that Tyrande's bow should be pointed not at Saurfang, but Sylvanas instead.

Because else wise, yeah, there is a considerable risk that we can be on the edge of peace, and Tyrande could call for the Horde to burn instead, and then we'd be just as responsible for the war continuing, the blame for which is not what the Night Elves need right now.

10/30/2018 09:32 AMPosted by Lakyle600EAD
Personally, I think it's more likely that a similar choice will be presented to the players that are currently being presented to the Horde players between Saurfang and Sylvanas; choosing between Tyrande's way and Anduin's way. Showing mercy to someone (probably someone related to Saurfang) or using vengeance.

I think this would be perfectly welcome, and players will always appreciate being given choices. I'd be happy to see it as well, and would support Anduin on my Druid main here, but then support Tyrande on my more vengeful Rogue. But even given that choice, I strongly do not want to see Tyrande ultimately being responsible for the war getting worse for the Alliance. That would be terrible.
@Amadis

Yeah ... what you posted is pretty much my general fear as well; but its even beyond that. The predictable outcome is what you said, that with how "advertised" both the Alliance victory is, and "stretched" nature of the Alliance forces (even if they're winning) it is VERY possible that Tyrande's very impatient, emotion driven decision will attribute to the Alliance losing their lead in this war.

I have this ... horrible feeling that there's going to be more to it. The likely target for reprisal is Boralus (which will be the weak link with its fleet being used to supply other fronts), and if we Horde are targeting the Kul Tiran capital, Derek isn't our only play. The likely outcome is we are going to do something to blow the floodwalls and drown Boralus, killing hundreds of civilians and decimating their infrastructure.

This will damage the Alliance's ability to supply its many fronts (especially Darkshore on the other side of the world) and canonically (if not mechanically) the Alliance will lose the Darkshore Warfront (negating the reason for the Horde to rely on the Scorched Earth Policies I described); and the NE's will blame the Alliance for this loss. Nothing the Alliance could do about it, but its there.

Worse, the Alliance fanbase will be HYPER critical at both Tyrande and/or Anduin, as even though Anduin's decision wasn't some revolutionary choice (provided resources were really as stretched as he implied) they'll once again claim he's some "perfect child that Golden just wont let fail". As for Tyrande, lets face it ... if the fanbase (and Lena) is up in arms about a non-conclusive Warfront in Darkshore, how would they react if they not only canonically lost it ... but also attributed to damaging the Alliance War Effort to the degree described above? I'm a little worried...
10/28/2018 09:03 PMPosted by Amadis
Because you're right. The Night Elves are being treated as Blood Elves 2.0
My particular favorite end of this is the caveat. Night Elves are a rehash of Blood Elves and Delaryn is a rehash of Sylvanas, but the twist is that now Blizz wants to say the victims of these atrocities would be willing and eager to join up with their butchers. Its a rehash and perversion of one of their other, better stories.

Blizz: Its not a violation of one's agency if they secretly like it :^]
Well, we'll see tomorrow if the story's going anywhere.
11/01/2018 04:30 PMPosted by Serevèn
10/28/2018 09:03 PMPosted by Amadis
Because you're right. The Night Elves are being treated as Blood Elves 2.0
My particular favorite end of this is the caveat. Night Elves are a rehash of Blood Elves and Delaryin is a rehash of Sylvanas, but the twist is that now Blizz wants to say the victims of these atrocities would be willing and eager to join up with their butchers. Its a rehash and perversion of one of their other, better stories.

Blizz: Its not a violation of one's agency if they secretly like it :^]

Well, if it makes you feel better ... I don't think the BE's are going to be OK with Teldrassil ... its just that they've been so absent from the "BfA" content that they haven't had an opportunity to do anything. I think there is a functional reason why the BE heritage questline is in 8.1. Its serving as a lore reminder to BE players why they shouldn't be happy with Teldrassil ... and then in 8.2 the BE's should start moving (with their motivation for doing so re-established).