To the people who are anti #pulltheripcord

It really says a lot that the most vocal supporters of locked covenants are just happy to see anyone who doesn’t want to play their way either have a bad time or quit playing altogether.

i see only one worthy covenant for the class im rolling in SL anyways so /shrug.

pull it or not idc :wink:

Some covenants that are best for 1 spec are not even worth using for other specs. So yeah, in some cases the covenant actually does nothing.

That is one way to interpret it, I guess. Or you could see it as many players tired of the developers catering to the hand-wringers and hysterical requests to dilute everything about this game.

Did you miss the part where you get to pick your covenant?

None of this matters if you just want to pick one covenant and stick with it. That’s a choice you could make without impacting anyone else, and have a better community of happy people.

Currently we are pigeon holed into choosing the most optimal covenant for our classes DMG wise unless you just want to RP and not care about the fact that you’re a worse player than the person who chose optimally. For example if i want to be a vampire-rp inspired decision (prot paladin)… but the covenant ability is terrible, one i would either be a MASSIVE detriment to my team in raids or in dungeon content or, i just give up my rp ish desire to have the cool blood covenant looking stuff and i just go with the most powerful covenant for my class. (being forced to choose between power and what i personally find cool is not an RP decision, its the opposite) if all powers were balanced for every form of content then i get to choose and have my RP’ing moment. Or if they just removed all of the class abilities from the covenants but 1, and granted it not as a covenant power but as like POWER OF THE MAW and every spec gets 1 ability only… but then i can choose my covenant for the utility ability and have the feel good choice of oh hey i want to be a vampire paladin knight, i can.

2 Likes

If somebody wanted a button that gave you all the best gear for your class would that be ok, because you could just not press the button? Isn’t that the logical conclusion of that argument?

No, that’s a slippery slope and a really poor comparison.

2 Likes

Or the community can just grow up and stop acting like a child. Do you complain when traffic gets bad? Do you go up to the first person at a red light in front of you and tell them they’re an inconvenience because they are ahead of you? What about that traffic cop if the light is out or something and they do not let you go through for a while?

Do you also complain about people taking their time ordering in front of you at any food restaurant like mcdonalds/burger king/taco bell etc. ?

What about the people at the grocery store? I mean, they’re impacting you too.

1 Like

“Meaningful Choice” is a useless buzzword that means literally nothing because anyone can make it mean anything.

As for what I personally find fun? I find not being arbitrarily limited fun. Covenant locks make absolutely zero sense from either a gameplay or story perspective.

Which is a pretty stupid take from both perspectives.

What’s “strong” about a player who doesn’t care about the system because they don’t play at a high enough level to care about it?

Ironic, considering the people against pulling the Ripcord are for it purely out of spite.

4 Likes

There’s no logical reason why in an MMO video game that’s subscription based for players to NOT have the ability to earn their rewards and switch freely between what’s been earned.

That’s how classes work. You level a class, you grind for power. You do the same for another class. You can swap between the 2 freely. The hard part is being able to play each of those well. That isn’t taken away if covenants are flexible.

Because they are paying customers. In a F2P game, it would make more sense. But there’s really no reason to limit them.

Outside of players like us that want to see them punished for not playing how we want them to.

Again - I’m in favor of the restrictive punishments.

I just don’t think calling them spoiled is accurate.

None of this is relevant. We’re talking about a video game that we all play for fun, not our everyday lives. Though, the same idea of people being able to make their own choices and live life how they want sounds a lot like being able choose how to play.

But I hope that made you feel better.

You’re free to do so without the decision being made for you.

Explain.

Enlighten me on how this could possible be positive.

Numbers are numbers. How are you going to alter how you use an ability?

I think that’s kind of the whole point.

People don’t want their fun time to include elements too similar to the bad stuff in their daily lives.

Traffic sucks. Why should I be happy when a game I play adds traffic when they could add booster jets and teleportation?

spoiled

/spoild/

adjective

(of a person, especially a child) harmed in character by being treated too leniently or indulgently.

So, in what way are they not spoiled, when they want to swap freely? That is the very definition of being treated too leniently or indulgently, thus spoiled.

1 Like

Allowing them to switch freely between things that have already been earned isn’t “lenient”. It’s needlessly punishing.

Making the game into a 1 button win situation would be making things lenient, but that isn’t at all what players are asking for.

Like I’ve already said - I’m FOR the punishing restrictions.

But your argument of players being “spoiled” isn’t doing anything good for our cause.

It’s just another bad argument that makes us look bad.

They haven’t earned it though. They had to choose something at the end of the story. That choice is what disqualifies them having earned it, like if you had a trusted friend who found out you lied to them for many years. Some people will forgive you, but others will not. The covenants are the person who will not forgive you.

Calling a child a child gets on their nerves, too. The parents just need to not cave in is all, in this case that would be Blizzard.

1 Like

I wasn’t making a slippery slope argument at all. I was merely trying to show you how your argument didn’t hold water.

Let me simplify:

Player 1: “I feel including X would weaken the game”
Player 2: “Just don’t do X”

Player 2 has a bad argument.

It was a bad argument when it was about flying/pathfinder, and it’s a bad argument now.