To the people who are anti #pulltheripcord

It’s not about the hashtag…it’s about the message.

I am anti-pulltheripcord for a few reasons.

1. I really do not want to have yet another system where I feel compelled to “respec” it every time I go to do a different set of content.
  2. I like the idea of there being sub-classes.
  3. I like the idea of our choices being impactful on our game-play
  4. Covenant and soulbinds are pretty complex systems and if they “pulltheripcord” it is just going to result in everyone always choosing what the top players say is the meta rather than getting creative with different playstyles.

Of course this pre-supposes that Bliz will actually manage to get some level of balance into the covenant abilities. I think it would be pretty cool if all the campaigning and energy going towards “pulltheripcord” instead went into constrictive feedback on how they might actually achieve that balance.

1 Like

hope people enjoy their meaniful choice cause it better be the optimal one for your class and for M+ or you aint getting into my groups

Because I like the concept as is better.

Do you do that now? If so, do you not like doing it? If so, why do you do it if you don’t like it?

I’d agree, but one class ability doesn’t make a subclass

If people want to choose a meta build, what’s wrong with that? Anyone could choose an RP build as well.

But Blizz promised I’d get free carries!

1 Like

better find a twitch streamer and hope you get lucky

I’m getting my hoof pics ready for trading to be safe.

1 Like

So you admit that you guys only wanna force people to enjoy the game in the manner you do. you admit that your bad and want to force everyone else to play sub=optimal as well yo make youself look better. guess what buddy? people will still pick the meta convenants, meta isint going anywhere its just changing

I imagine most haven’t actually played the Covenants yet, and put more faith in their first hand experience over tester feedback.

Yes, because I am not going to gimp myself in contrast to other players when it only takes a minute in a rested area to “fix”. However that doesn’t mean I particularly like doing it or enjoy the gameplay of it.

True, but it certainly does contribute to it, along with the rest of the covenant system. I am also uncertain that the “pulltheripcord” crowd as a whole will be satisfied with just the class ability being changeable.

There is nothing wrong with choosing a “meta” build. However, by locking people into the covenant choice it will hopefully encourage innovation and creativity with “non-meta” builds that otherwise would likely not occur. Again this assumes that there is at least some measure of balance.

1 Like

So you’d rather be locked in and no choice to be sub-optimal?

Sub-classes…meaning a couple of talents?

Negatively impactful.

How is being locked in a creative playstyle?

I guess that was the point of the last part of the question. Why play in a way you don’t enjoy in a game?

Well you can’t please everyone no matter what, but I think most would take that compromise. It’s a huge upgrade over the current system.

I disagree. Less opportunity to even try out all the different stuff is going to drive more cookie cutter builds. Whereas if you had a choice of the class abilities at max, you’d see all kinds of mixing and matching between specs and covenants.

I’ve seen a few different viewpoints from anti-ripcord folks throughout various threads. None of these are aimed at any one person in particular, just general concepts I’ve gotten in other threads.

1. People seem to think that locking player power behind Covenants is going to “hurt min maxers”.
  2. People seem to be unwilling to cut the ties between player power and Covenants- they feel the Covenants will lack meaning without player power being held ransom
  3. People think Blizzard is capable of balancing Covenant abilities to be truly competitive.

So, let’s dissect those reasons in respective order.

1. Player power being locked behind Covenants is not going to hurt those of us who choose to min-max. It’s going to hurt the general players far more. Min-maxers will still do what we do, and you’ll be left with a multi-faceted problem, for example: liking the theme of Kyrian, liking the transmog of Venthyr, liking the ability of Night Fae. Now you’re choosing between appearances, themes, and player power. That’s not a hard choice for a min-maxer; we’ll do what we need to do. This is going to be a much more irritating problem for the general playerbase.
  2. Covenants could still feel meaningful without player choice. Others have brought up systems such as the Garrison Zone Upgrades from WoD, or Scryers v. Aldors. Tying profession bonuses, zone bonuses, specific non-transferable transmog, etc. is more than sufficient. Tying player power to Covenants themselves is a predominant factor in your decision, which leads to problem #3.
  3. Blizzard has demonstrated an inability to balance these abilities.
    –Death Knights serve as a great example- Kyrian ability is literally worthless, Venthyr is good/BiS for Frost, Fae is [currently, until it gets inevitably nerfed] BiS for Unh/Blood, and Necrolord is mostly relegated to PvP due to a lack of utility on the actual ability itself.
    –Warriors serve as a better example of the potential for balance being there, but not acted upon. Night Fae [for Protection] is generally considered best; Kyrian is a somewhat weaker/less useful option, Necrolord is still terrible even after its rework, and Venthyr is weak for Protection overall.

If these abilities were balanced better, offered a wider variety of utilities, and the choices felt better, the majority of the issue with Covenants and player power would be gone.

The implication here would be that you don’t want anyone to play differently from yourself, and you therefore consider yourself the epitome of knowledge and experience. Or you have an arbitrary viewpoint on consistency in relation to how you think the game should be played.

The fact that you can state this without laughing at how positively pants-on-head insane it sounds… that’s mindboggling to me.

3 Likes

You don’t have to change if you don’t want to.

Players in retail TODAY don’t even feel compelled to change things up, including talents, and play the game just fine.

Sub-classes can still be sub-classes with a more flexible system. If you want to take it to the RP level of being loyal, then go for it. But right now the system allows for swapping covenants, so a strict “sub-class” system isn’t even what we have now.

Having flexibility to change things up is VERY impactful when you’re pushing the more difficult content.

Being restricted with the ability to change waters down the “choice” players made when they did what the pros/websites told them to do at the beginning of the expansion.

No it won’t. Many players don’t even do this today. Those same players won’t have to in Shadowlands. If players LIKE to serve their team as best as possible, then they’ll have the option to. But there’s now requirement now or in SL to do so.

Glad you let everyone know. I don’t like playing with your type of player anyway. Your over inflated importance will come crashing down on you sooner rather than later. Hopefully you don’t get crushed by the weight of your own ego.

BeSafeTho.

I for one would be ecstatic if we got more talent choices, regardless of Blizzard’s stance on covenants.

Play the game however you want bro just don’t expect others to conform to your way of play. You want in my groups I’ll be happy to take you provided you have the necessary tools To complete it which sounds like you will not

You’re trying to argue with someone who doesn’t understand the gulf of difference in damage between a regular Fire Mage and a properly geared Fire Mage stacking Masterful corruptions.

You’re honestly better off just not replying to them.

1 Like

I am already “locked in” to my class, and sometimes my class is sub-optimal. This isn’t that different.

Kinda yeah… otherwise it would be a little more than a “sub-class”

Just impactful. Modifiers have no bearing on the point. If it does turn out to be super negative then sure, pull the rip cord. There is still time though for them to both adjust the system as well as for people to sink their teeth into it before thats strictly needed.

Lets say ability “A” is thought to do 5% better than ability “B”. Everyone chooses ability “A”. Now lets say half the people are forced to use ability “B”. Some of those people get creative, they figure out that ability “B” can be manipulated to actually provide certain advantages that ability “A” does not.
This would never have happened if everyone was using ability “A” from the get go b/c that is what the sims said to do.